Page 5 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 12:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
When in western media they make make European cultural and historical Icons non white its an attempt to promote the idea that White people do not have a culture.

I'm sure you have evidence of this conspiracy. :wink:

The fact that white countries are being forced to become multicultural and diverse and that non white countries are not.

Forced? By whom exactly? Perceived economic necessity is the main reason.

Further, many "non-white" countries have long histories of immigration. While an anecdote doesn't prove a trend, my brother and his wife live in Cambodia.

At no point were British people asked if they wanted to become a multicultural country, the government forced it upon us.

Cambodia is still overwhelmingly Cambodian, I doubt they have immigrants calling native citizens Privileged.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 12:04 am

Tollorin wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
A cultural Icon is not meant to represent the best of a culture, changing Bonds race is about telling native Britons its not our culture any more we own nothing and that Immigrants are just as British as we are.

Of course Britons don't own James Bond, he's copyrighted, and thus at the mercy of the whims of a bunch of capitalists; not that it matter, it's not like Britons have control over the use of Robin Hood or King Arthur either.
Also, someone that is black can be British; like being born in England and being raised in British culture: and if you go far back enough, it's not like British nobility were from the first inhabitants either; Guillaume the Conqueror was not of British descent after all.

A mixed race person can be British but the child of two Africans can not be British. If I was born in China I wouldn't be Chinese.

The Normans were Invaders and we need to take our land back from their descendants.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

Gromit wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
I don't see what Black Panther and Wonder Woman have to do with it, it would be like them changing the race and sex of those characters people would rightfully be upset.

Because this here
Daniel89 wrote:
White countries do use white actors to portray non whites just as non white countries use non white actors to portray white characters, this is because they want to appeal to their market.
is an argument that having majority actors playing minority roles is a purely commercial decision. The success of movies with main protagonists from less powerful groups undermines that claim of purely economic causation. Perhaps whitewashing is as ideological as you claim a black Bond would be.

Daniel89 wrote:
turning the doctor into a woman was not done for creative reasons but because the BBC wanted it for political reasons.

What is the evidence?

Daniel89 wrote:
How can blockbusters appealing to a small minority be a commercial reason?

Perhaps the producers had reason to believe that audiences are less parochial than they had previously assumed, that movies with a more varied cast (either within or between movies) would attract enough new demographics that this more than compensates for what they may lose. The success of Black Panther is a possible example. If only those represented in the movie had gone to watch it, it should have made less money.

Daniel89 wrote:
A cultural Icon is not meant to represent the best of a culture

No? Then educate me. What is a cultural icon supposed to do? And what makes a character a cultural icon?

Daniel89 wrote:
changing Bonds race is about telling native Britons

Would native Britons be the Celtic tribes who were there before the Romans (including their auxiliaries from all over the empire), Angles, Saxons, Danes and Normans immigrated? How many of those Celtic individuals are there, and how would you know? Or do you have a more inclusive definition of native Briton?

Daniel89 wrote:
its not our culture any more we own nothing and that Immigrants are just as British as we are.

The history of Britain does look like one of immigration and amalgamation, so doing the same again would be upholding a proud, British tradition.

There are fewer non white actors in white countries, it not white washing in the same way Indian superman or Indian Jack Bauer isn't Brown washing its making use of domestic talent.

Its Public knowledge that the BBC wanted to change the sex of the Doctor.

A cultural Icon is just a legendary person essentially. Jack the Ripper and Vlad in impaler are cultural icons.

Most British DNA goes back to Ice aged tribes, these were the true Britons. Britain has a history of invasion not really immigration and these invaded mixed with the natives. I wouldn't call being invaded and women being raped a proud British tradition.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 3:36 am

Daniel89 wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
A cultural Icon is not meant to represent the best of a culture, changing Bonds race is about telling native Britons its not our culture any more we own nothing and that Immigrants are just as British as we are.

Of course Britons don't own James Bond, he's copyrighted, and thus at the mercy of the whims of a bunch of capitalists; not that it matter, it's not like Britons have control over the use of Robin Hood or King Arthur either.
Also, someone that is black can be British; like being born in England and being raised in British culture: and if you go far back enough, it's not like British nobility were from the first inhabitants either; Guillaume the Conqueror was not of British descent after all.

A mixed race person can be British but the child of two Africans can not be British. If I was born in China I wouldn't be Chinese.

The Normans were Invaders and we need to take our land back from their descendants.

Actually, if you were born and raised in China you'd be Anglo-Chinese by ethnicity and Chinese by nationality. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 3:40 am

Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
When in western media they make make European cultural and historical Icons non white its an attempt to promote the idea that White people do not have a culture.

I'm sure you have evidence of this conspiracy. :wink:

The fact that white countries are being forced to become multicultural and diverse and that non white countries are not.

Forced? By whom exactly? Perceived economic necessity is the main reason.

Further, many "non-white" countries have long histories of immigration. While an anecdote doesn't prove a trend, my brother and his wife live in Cambodia.

At no point were British people asked if they wanted to become a multicultural country, the government forced it upon us.

Cambodia is still overwhelmingly Cambodian, I doubt they have immigrants calling native citizens Privileged.

By voting in governments that favoured immigration, yes actually they were asked. Repeatedly.

Largely because most "expats" in Cambodia don't have much reason to make that claim, it would also vary depending on context. Privilege was likely a factor in why the local cops didn't care when my brother was the victim of a hit and run there, but in many other contexts he would have no reason to suggest that it exists. When you look around an office and know half of the people in the room didn't grow up with toilet in the house or electricity it makes one a little slower to use that term.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 4:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:

By voting in governments that favoured immigration, yes actually they were asked. Repeatedly.

Largely because most "expats" in Cambodia don't have much reason to make that claim, it would also vary depending on context. Privilege was likely a factor in why the local cops didn't care when my brother was the victim of a hit and run there, but in many other contexts he would have no reason to suggest that it exists. When you look around an office and know half of the people in the room didn't grow up with toilet in the house or electricity it makes one a little slower to use that term.

We have a political duopoly here in the UK and most places locally have a monopoly, the two largest parties support mass immigration and multiculturalism.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2019, 9:12 am

Hello.

For starters, I'd like to state that I'm neither rightist nor leftist.
I know you aren't coming to discuss the movies themselves but since you mentioned those two, I'll give my two cents on them later. It's just my opinion.

I don't think the alt-right is spoiling the movie experience for anyone for two reasons. First, people are entitled to their opinion. They don't like the movies and I have to admit that they have a point. Second, there's a patent political agenda behind the movies and the authors are putting this agenda above the stories. All the ideas in a film should be faithful to the story it's trying to convey. They're doing the other way around: they're ditching everything in favor of the agenda. Overall this builds a very poor experience. Even when there's a point the authors are trying to push, such as some political point of view, they must remain consistent to the structure, characters and every other idea that makes the film what it is.

I am not a huge fan of the original Ghostbusters movie but it's a comedy and as such, there are goofy characters and odd situations. Saying that a female character can't be stupid, commit mistakes, behave like a b***h, say wrong things at the wrong time and provoke accidents, just because she's a woman, is like saying that these roles should be assigned to men only, meaning "only men would be stupid enough" and so on. So, the original film itself isn't sexist but the remake is, because the latter is trying to tell the audiences to look through the specific lens of gender politics, which was never the case before in the franchise. Also, let's remember that the biggest mistake in the first movie was committed by a man, a Ghostbuster himself, thinking of the marshmallow monster. This renders invalid any accusations of sexism towards it.

Still on the original Ghostbusters. What's regarded as one of its many strengths is the well-designed characters. The remake on the other hand, has none of that. One could argue that they're a bunch of very strong women, but what makes the difference is how you introduce and portray your strong characters. You don't tell the audience "this is a strong character, believe me"! You have to show that to people through the character's actions and make the audience believe it. The remake is terribly written in every aspect.

Now on the "SJWars" film. I liked this one very much, despite the (again very obvious) identity politics and SJW takes. The reason why I loved it so much is because the old story was becoming more and more of the same. It was repeating itself too often. Imho, it should have ended in the original (unremastered) trilogy anyway. There are good instalments now and then but even so, they don't add much. On the contrary, they detract from the story if anything! The films after the original trilogy are kind of a mixed bag, they have more misses than hits, but overall they can still be enjoyable.

To put it simply, SW fans are arguing that TLJ is too inconsistent. Turns out, Star Wars isn't supposed to be consistent in every department and it's totally self-aware of it. Starships make noises in space, for one. It's not trying to put too much of real science into the story. That would be Star Trek, not Star Wars. It's a "space opera" type of fiction.

It was fans who were pushing for absolute consistency in the first place and once SW is a very unapologetically comercial kind of movie franchise, the responsible parties tried to please the fans. After all many people want to have that one great idea that will turn them into millionaires, and this was Lucas's million dollar idea and he wouldn't ruin it by denying the costumers what they wanted. The whole Star Wars was always about that. It's a people-pleasing franchise. Soon, Star Wars became a large universe trying to tie in all the ends and please every fan's quest for consistency. There were books, action figures, comics and so it goes. For one, how a character such as Bobba Fett, which had but a brief on-screen appearance, suddenly becomes so loved? Fans were intrigued by that presence, the armour, and his death. They started demanding more on the character and soon it was everywhere on side material. Bobba Fett was built on fan-base and propaganda, all a commercial transaction. That's one example.

Now, TLJ was in fact full of inconsistencies but if the angry fans stop and pay attention for a while, most if not all are exactly the same kind of flaws from the original trilogy. Little has changed in that regard.

That said, all that's left for some is to be angry at the biased ideology messages, which really are there. In this I will agree with the angry fans. Also, there's a lot of terrible writing and forgettable characters in the movie. Laura Dern's character was specially boring and unbelievable, and I say this with all respect to her work because she did a fantastic job as an actress but the material she was given to perform was totally useless. That's the same kind of problem with the new Ghostbusters: a film is supposed to show the characters and situations and let *me* decide whether I do care about it or not. These two films don't do that. The authors shovel stuff down your throat and tell what you are supposed to think about it.

One last thing, TLJ destroys the male characters to highlight the female ones. That's not how it's supposed to be. You highlight the female characters by writing them great scenes and dialogues.

Well, that's all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 2:54 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

We have a political duopoly here in the UK and most places locally have a monopoly, the two largest parties support mass immigration and multiculturalism.

You're always free to start a pro-xenophobia political party, but the currently existing ones don't do so well. I stand by my previous comment since your rebuttal fails to rebut.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
A mixed race person can be British but the child of two Africans can not be British.

Wow, that's pretty racist. I'm surprised to see someone say something so blatantly anti-black here. How is that allowed?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 6:29 pm

If a person of African descent has British citizenship, and has a baby, the baby is British, too.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:06 pm

Daniel89 wrote:

So to you, being British or Chinese is more genetic than cultural? How about German versus Austrian? I doubt that nation states are that genetically distinct.

Daniel89 wrote:

That's at least consistent, but you'll have a hard time finding anyone in Britain without any Norman ancestors. How do you know you are not a descendant of a Norman? Those Normans did put themselves about quite a bit. Will you expel yourself if you find you have Norman ancestry? To where? Brittany, or all the way back to Scandinavia? You could go back to a still earlier time, and declare all Indo-Europeans invaders, and kick their descendants out of Europe. That would be you and me, both. Do you think India or Pakistan would welcome us?

And if being mixed race doesn't disqualify someone, why would a Norman ancestor from 40 generations ago?

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:17 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The alt-right keeps saying the liberals are controlling Hollywood. They sometimes say the Jews are controlling Hollywood.

It's hardly controversial that Hollywood was founded by Jews. See eg. Neal Gabler's An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood, or the documentary Hollywoodism: Jews, Movies and the American Dream, which is based on that book. And as Indian producer Raj points out in this video, you are still a nobody in Hollywood if you aren't Jewish.

It is also not controversial that most American Jews are Liberals. Nor it is controversial that movies have been used for decades to push political agendas, due to their effectiveness as a brainwashing tool.

So what exactly is wrong about the "Alt-Right" stating the blatantly obvious?

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sometimes I think armchair alt-right warriors are just looking for something to get offended by.

It's not the "Alt-Right" that is trying to ban any opinion that hurts their feelfeels.

Also, it's not so much the "Alt-Right" that is complaining about Liberals destroying Hollywood, as it is old fans of franchises like Star Wars who see their beloved franchises get corrupted by Liberal identity politics, with its ridiculous Mary Sue characters and other nonsense.

And accusing those who complain about the increasingly blatant propaganda in Hollywood movies of being the ones destroying Hollywood is simply ridiculous. It's shooting the messenger, really. The best way to ruin a good franchise is to insert blatant, nonsensical propaganda into every nook and cram of it.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that they are ruining movies. Most movies are shoot them up, blood and gore. I remember the days of Austin Powers, Liar Liar and Spice World. Movies were much better back in those days in my opinion. I can't think of any movies that I've wanted to see in the past five years.

You think of 1997 movies like Austin Powers, Liar Liar and Spice World as examples of good movies?

Seriously?

You are joking, right?

When I think of good 1990s movies, I think of movies like Edward Scissorhands (1990), Natural Born Killers (1994), Trainspotting (1996), Pi (1998), American History X (1998), The Big Lebowski (1998), Magnolia(1999), Fight Club (1999), American Beauty (1999), etc.

And they still make movies like that. I'm thinking eg. of Black Swan (2010), The Congress (2013), Filth (2013),Baby Driver (2017) or Like me (2017).

Great movies may be father and fewer in between, though, as I can't think of nearly as many great movies from this decade as I can think of great movies from the 1990s. Then again, that may just be my memory failing. Either way, great movies still are being made, and are definitely worth looking for!

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 8:59 pm

Daniel89 wrote:

Immigration happened long before there was a single government. You should have a look at "Bloody Foreigners" by Robert Winder:
Quote:
Immigration is one of the most important stories of modern British life, yet it has been happening since Caesar first landed in 53 BC. Ever since the first Roman, Saxon, Jute and Dane leaped off a boat we have been a mongrel nation. Our roots are a tangled web. From Huguenot weavers fleeing French Catholic persecution in the 18th century to South African dentists to Indian shopkeepers; from Jews in York in the 12th century (who had to wear a yellow star to distinguish them and who were shamefully expelled by Edward I in 1272) to the Jamaican who came on board the Windrush in 1947. The first Indian MP was elected in 1892, Walter Tull, the first black football player played (for Spurs and Northampton) before WW1 (and died heroically fighting for the allies in the last months of the war); in 1768 there were 20,000 black people in London (out of a population of 600,000 - a similar percentage to today). The 19th century brought huge numbers of Italians, Irish, Jews (from Russia and Poland mainly), Germans and Poles.

Daniel89 wrote:

That's sounds a lot like "It is well known that Saddam Hussein has Weapons of Mass Destruction". It is not evidence. Anyone can claim that anything is public knowledge.

Daniel89 wrote:
A cultural Icon is just a legendary person essentially. Jack the Ripper and Vlad in impaler are cultural icons.

So would you be upset if a movie portrayed Jack the Ripper as Indian?

Also, the Bond movies had a Lotus that was both a fully functional sports car and a fully functional submarine, lasers in orbit more powerful than anything that flies even today, decades later, but the thing you find most unrealistic is that the son of a Scottish aristocrat and a Swiss mother could look like Idris Elba?

Daniel89 wrote:
Most British DNA goes back to Ice aged tribes, these were the true Britons.

So I was wrong about the Celts. You mean Cheddar Man: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/scientists-get-their-first-look-cheddar-man-one-england-s-oldest-modern-humans. You do know Cheddar Man was black?

So if Idris Elba gets some blue contact lenses, will he be Bond?

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 9:19 pm

aspiesavant wrote:

Yeah, what's so wrong about anti-semitism? Pointing out the Zionist cabal that secretly rules the world and keeps the poor little Aryans down with their pro-Jewish propaganda, what is so bad about that?

:lol:

And I believe you're serious too, that you really mean this. Both hilarious and tragic. Tragilarious? Hilariagic? :lol:

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 9:25 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
aspiesavant wrote:

Yeah, what's so wrong about anti-semitism?

What are you implying?

That Neil Gabler, Joel Stein and every other Jew who acknowledges the obvious fact that Hollywood is (and always has been) very Jewish are all evil antisemites?

That it is not possible to say anything about any individual Jew or group of Jews that could be perceived as negative without being antisemitic?

That facts are antisemitic?

Tell me... What is your point?

Gromit wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

That's sounds a lot like "It is well known that Saddam Hussein has Weapons of Mass Destruction". It is not evidence. Anyone can claim that anything is public knowledge.

We ARE talking about Dr Who, right?

From Wikipedia :

Wikipedia wrote:
On 16 July 2017, the BBC announced that Whittaker would become the thirteenth and first female incarnation of The Doctor in the British TV series Doctor Who. She formally assumed the role from Peter Capaldi in the 2017 Christmas special episode "Twice Upon a Time" when Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor regenerated into Whittaker's Thirteenth Doctor. Whittaker appears in her first full series as the Doctor in the eleventh series, which premiered in October 2018. She is set to continue in the role in the twelfth series in 2020.

And here is one of the many articles celibrating this... for the sake of "diversity", of course!

Gromit wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

So would you be upset if a movie portrayed Jack the Ripper as Indian?

It sure doesn't seem right to me that Jack the Ripper or Vlad The Impaler would be played as an Indian... not just because they're cultural icons, but also because they are historical figures who lived in all-White countries. Abandoning historical accuracy for the sake of "diversity" peddling is simply wrong.

Jack the Ripper or Vlad The Impaler being played by an Indian actor would make sense only in a Bollywood movie, where every actor is Indian.

Gromit wrote:
Also, the Bond movies had a Lotus that was both a fully functional sports car and a fully functional submarine, lasers in orbit more powerful than anything that flies even today, decades later, but the thing you find most unrealistic is that the son of a Scottish aristocrat and a Swiss mother could look like Idris Elba?

The problem with this is not so much that it is unrealistic as it is the fact that it is blatant "diversity" propaganda that adds literally nothing to the story.

Daniel89 wrote:
You do know Cheddar Man was black?

He wasn't. That's just more blatant propaganda.

See eg. Ancient ‘dark-skinned’ Briton Cheddar Man find may not be true!