Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 1:48 pm

Disney owns everything or atleast they will soon

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2018, 3:30 am

I think both fringes have been using movies to push a political message. Movies like the Ghostbuster's reboot, Last Jedi, Black Panther, ect. -the far left will hail them as masterpieces in at least a cultural sense without any critical thinking, and the far right will refuse to watch period and denounce them as bad movies for their apparent political undertones. I think mixing fiction and politics can get very convoluted and if you're going to push a political message through fiction it needs to be done with subtlety and grace, and this might be the issue with these movies being made. Yes, people put legitimate time and effort into those movies and some may not even be political intentionally, but the political climate of the US is a perfect storm for fringes to seize on these.

Actually, I think that Black Panther was a pretty good film independent of message and enjoyed it through and through. It displayed maturity and nuance and while I might disagree with the end message of the film where eventually Wakanda becomes a foreign aid nation (implying that it's a nation's moral duty to bail out other nations), I can still respect the hard work put into it and I would not mind having a discussion with the people who wrote it because I think it would be far more interesting and productive than just attacking the film.

Now, I will contest that Sargon of Akkad is Alt Right, I do not believe he is whatsoever, just a typical conservative/libertarian Brexit type. I know he is not Alt Right because there was a high profile debate between Sargon and Richard Spencer (major actual alt right dude) where Sargon fought against his views on race.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 4:39 am

The alt-right keeps saying the liberals are controlling Hollywood. They sometimes say the Jews are controlling Hollywood.

Sometimes I think armchair alt-right warriors are just looking for something to get offended by.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 12:52 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The alt-right keeps saying the liberals are controlling Hollywood. They sometimes say the Jews are controlling Hollywood.

Sometimes I think armchair alt-right warriors are just looking for something to get offended by.

Money and lust for power and women control Hollywood.

The views of most of the influential people in Hollywood is progressive and that does affect the choice of topics and storylines and especially who wins awards. If the progressive mindset dominated the greed mindset there would be no films with macho and patriotic themes. There would be no procedurals on TV where law enforcement always gets the bad guys in the end. On the other hand, if the mindset of Hollywood was not mostly progressive RBG and The Day After Tomorrow would either never got made or would have no publicity behind them. The Day After Tomorrow was a film where they had their cake and ate it also. It was an action flick that appealed to older white conservative men and it had a strong "warmist" message associated with progressives.

Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 1:26 am

If anything, it's the left that's ruining movies by trying to overpoliticize them then cry foul when they are critiqued. Ghostbusters didn't fail because it had female leads, it failed because it was a bad movie. The creators put more emphasis on making it all female and making sure everyone knew it was all female than they did on making a good movie. If the movie had been good, it wouldn't have received the flak it did.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 9:29 am

If there's one thing the alt-right and the far left have in common is that they both look for things to be offended by.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 11:58 pm

cemil wrote:
The movies nowadays is just ideological p0rn imo.. there has to be some women, some blacks, some gays, some browns, and our newly added array to this garden variety display - asians and asexuals

All of these people have money to spend. If there's a market demand for these groups to see some of their own on the silver screen, someone will fulfil it. You're not against free-market capitalism are you?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:03 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

They're delicate snowflakes in need of a reason to be outraged. Casting people who aren't white men in movies, or producing movies that aren't politically/ideologically correct by reichwing standards is a perfectly good excuse for them to meltdown.

like Trump's kids Eric'n Tiffany

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 5:38 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

They're delicate snowflakes in need of a reason to be outraged. Casting people who aren't white men in movies, or producing movies that aren't politically/ideologically correct by reichwing standards is a perfectly good excuse for them to meltdown.

No one cares about black people being cast in films. I personally care that frequently white actors are replaced with black actors but very rarely the other way around. Its bad when it characters like bond but when its historical and legendary people its even worse.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
No one cares about black people being cast in films. I personally care that frequently white actors are replaced with black actors but very rarely the other way around. Its bad when it characters like bond but when its historical and legendary people its even worse.

Got an example involving a historical figure?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

What about putting blacks, women, gays as Germans in ww2?
That’s not historical accurate. Nor is women as front line soldiers in any war before 2000.

If it’s alternative history then whatever. I suppose it’s same as Asian character be pretrayed by white Americans and the backlash it got.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

The Hollow Crown used a black actress to play a white Queen.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 2:49 am

Daniel89 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

The Hollow Crown used a black actress to play a white Queen.

It doesn't appear to be a widespread trend, so I'm not sure it's anything to become hysterical over. One obscure example hardly suggests it's common or that white actors might suddenly find themselves struggling to find roles.

This is the inherent different when there's complaints about whitewashing vs. anything analogous. For those who work in the American or British entertainment industries, if you're a person of colour, there's far fewer roles available. Of course, if you'd like to dishonestly compare unequal situations, don't be surprised when your bait is ignored.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 6:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

some people are just born with an angry outlook on life and spend a lot of their adult life trying to find causes to use as the justification for their anger.

Some of the Alt Right types just seem so similar to the incel people. they are just angry at the world and want to lash out. If you solved whatever problem or injustice they are ranting about this this week then they would find a new one next week simply as they need to find a way of making their anger look justifiable, rather than just accepting they are angry people.