Do I have a duty to debate politics online?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 


Do I have to debate politics online?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 9

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,464

26 Dec 2018, 3:39 pm

I'm deliberately not bringing up specific arguments here and not mentioning names of my political ideologies. If you can do the same, I'd be grateful. You'll see why as you read on.

Ever since I was 13, there have been certain things, I call them proto-politics, which I haven't changed in my opinion on, even though I've changed the thinking as to which political theory best fits them. I don't think I'll ever change my mind on them. They're personal stances of the sorts of things which got me into politics.

In other things, I have changed my mind. However, one thing which has never changed my mind is an online argument. Especially if someone came in with 'as a...' (political ideology). Life has changed my mind. Observation has changed my mind. Abstract philosophical debate - which is different - has changed my mind. Reading books has changed my mind, especially fiction or non-fiction which wasn't specifically political. Sometimes, even offline political debates has changed my mind. Mostly because I see the people as people first and political ideology a long way down the list of what they are.

All online debating of politics has done is raised my anxiety, and I don't say that lightly (I actually have social anxiety). No doubt it works for some people, but it doesn't work for me and it just stresses me out.

Besides, I think there are some sorts of politics where what one's opinion is depends mostly on what one's experiences of life is.

Do I have a duty to debate online? Is there a polite way to tell people 'I don't talk politics online'? Or to avoid it?

I feel like I've been debating online since I was 18 and nobody has convinced me, nor have I convinced anyone I disagree with. I don't want a life where I never stop that because online debates can get nasty. I think because even if someone isn't anonymous, they're usually a stranger, and even on Facebook, the act of being online puts a bit of distance between yourself and the person you're talking to, even a relative.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,882
Location: Stendec

26 Dec 2018, 3:50 pm

TUF wrote:
Do I have a duty to debate politics online?
No.

Neither do you have any "duty" to reply to a post or even to log in to this website.



LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,195
Location: USA

26 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

TUF wrote:
In other things, I have changed my mind. However, one thing which has never changed my mind is an online argument. Especially if someone came in with 'as a...' (political ideology). Life has changed my mind. Observation has changed my mind. Abstract philosophical debate - which is different - has changed my mind. Reading books has changed my mind, especially fiction or non-fiction which wasn't specifically political. Sometimes, even offline political debates has changed my mind. Mostly because I see the people as people first and political ideology a long way down the list of what they are.

A "job" may change your mind when politics X wants to keep raising taxes and taking your hard earned money.


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,082
Location: temperate zone

26 Dec 2018, 5:07 pm

Everyone has the right to free speech.

And everyone has the right to...NON speech.

You don't have a duty to debate folks in real life, nor to write angry letters to the editor of your local paper (like folks did in my day back in the Twentieth Century), nor do you HAVE to debate folks online.

Most of the members of WP avoid this PPR subforum.

You can be like that majority and not debate politics here on WP either.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,832
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Dec 2018, 5:11 pm

No...there's no "duty."

I often don't feel like debating politics.

Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't

Depends on my mood.

Where does one get the idea that there's a "duty?"



Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

26 Dec 2018, 5:17 pm

You bring up some good points, TUF. I would recommend you either abstain or participate in political related threads as you see fit.

I think the best point you bring up is the one about online political debates and their lack of impact in changing a person's views on things. Like you, my own life experiences have been fundamental in shaping my political views. I would assume it's the same for most anyone. As such, I think anyone who believes they will sway or "win over" someone online and convince that person or other people to change their political viewpoints is deluding themselves. It's not realistic.

The overall pitch seems to ebb and flow on the political threads in the short time I've been here. There are at least two members that posted here frequently in one case and almost constantly in the other that have either taken a break or have left. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, the political threads have been calmer.



Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,347
Location: Smackass Gap, NC

26 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.



Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

26 Dec 2018, 5:28 pm

That's a substantive quote, Piobiare.

Would it be possible for someone who had characteristically conservative viewpoints to sway you or convince you in online arguments to the point that you yourself could actually become "conservative" in your political leanings?



DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 911
Location: At home, calling the Ghostbusters

26 Dec 2018, 5:39 pm

You don't have to, but if you do, and you're a conservative, just remember that this site is filled with liberals who'll happily try to insult you in the worst ways.


_________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,832
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm

There's lots of conservatives...and lots of liberals, too.

Nobody really dominates the other, in my opinion.



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,181
Location: US

26 Dec 2018, 6:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's lots of conservatives...and lots of liberals, too.

Nobody really dominates the other, in my opinion.

Wp is at least 85% liberal. Conservative or non liberal people are a minority here and are treated like why the USA was made a republic to prevent.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 75,832
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Dec 2018, 6:42 pm

Not in the PPR section. Or the News section. I would say conservatives and liberals are evenly divided.



TUF
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,464

26 Dec 2018, 6:54 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
TUF wrote:
In other things, I have changed my mind. However, one thing which has never changed my mind is an online argument. Especially if someone came in with 'as a...' (political ideology). Life has changed my mind. Observation has changed my mind. Abstract philosophical debate - which is different - has changed my mind. Reading books has changed my mind, especially fiction or non-fiction which wasn't specifically political. Sometimes, even offline political debates has changed my mind. Mostly because I see the people as people first and political ideology a long way down the list of what they are.

A "job" may change your mind when politics X wants to keep raising taxes and taking your hard earned money.


Yeah, that counts as a life experience to me. I'm trying not to say my political opinions but this was something which I felt strongly one way on before experiencing the real world of work and coming around to the other point of view.

I suppose the feeling of duty's because so much political propaganda on either side is about 'speaking out'. Stuff like the MLK quote. I'm never going to be apolitical, but I feel something like helping people in need is more important than arguing with opponents online. One thing I know about MLK is that he doesn't strike me as especially autistic or socially anxious. People might say this was a choice on his part, a conscious effort. But either the horror of his life situation (under segregation which I hope everyone can agree was wrong, I've read both libertarian and left wing reasons why segregation was wrong) was enough to push him forward or he was naturally that type enough to combat any shyness or fear. I'm not NT, I'm socially anxious/aspie and I'm not in such a dire situation that I need to get out and make my voice heard regardless.

I don't think labels help. Especially since people (myself included sometimes) don't seem to have a solid grasp of what labels mean. Especially internationally when labels can completely change meaning even from right to left and vice versa.

It isn't just about this section of this forum. In fact, I've not been on this forum much. It's on writing sites, political sites, social media. Everywhere.

One thing I like about this site is it isn't just the usual arguments ad infinitum. Perhaps because we're aspie/autistic or perhaps because it's mingled in with philosophy. I've found it's easier to convince someone on philosophy than politics and hurting one's mind doesn't hurt so much.

Besides I'm a writer so my views end up in what I write, even subconsciously.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 48,882
Location: Stendec

26 Dec 2018, 7:45 pm

sly279 wrote:
WP is at least 85% liberal...
Where did you obtain this information? Is it real, or did you just imagine it?