Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

Personally, I have never been a fan of this term because it seems as though the bar for what is considered in the realms of being a SJW varies depending upon the individual you ask.

That's why if someone asks me "Don't you just hate SJW's?", I typically reply by asking them what the context is. That way I know what issue we are discussing, otherwise I'm not sure what I'm agreeing or disagreeing to. What someone may consider extreme and a SJW, another could disagree and draw the line elsewhere.

For instance, I saw people calling a cartoon "SJW influenced" because it had cross dressing in it, but I'm not particularly fazed by crossdressing personally.

The term is used so much these days, and I think that it's lost all meaning really. If it ever had a solid meaning that is, I guess it's always been a vague catch-all term.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2018, 9:16 pm

I am a leftist and a social Democrat not a moderate.

SJW is a complicated term, I will be honest. I don't like how it has become clickbait, used to deride Left Wingers, and has been used to advertise this sensationalized idea of a culture war.

That being said the word has a place, because there is a large minority of left wingers that are intolerant of the other perspectives, and may elevate sensitivity over reasoned debate. I have met a large number of them, and they can be some strange people.

It isn't even that they are overly emotional or fragile, it is that they see politics as a war. And with think, they think that the other side must be beaten down physically and not reasoned with. It is a scary mentality to have, and it doesn't matter if you share the same goals as them, if you so much as disagree with them about tactics they are often unwilling to talk with you. I may ask them questions, they may answer, but eventually, I am expected to shut up and fall in line.

I think there is a place for that term. There is something ugly, sinister and offputting that has to be called out.

I have also seen something disturbing from the right as well. Some right-wingers are so upset and so enraptured in this idea of a culture war, that they are willing to support what appears to be the antidote to sjws. I think we see this with many right wingers on this site and all over the internet willing to support Tump and Bolsonaro. Their view of the left is such a horrific caricature that they are willing to endorse the polar opposites to either stop or if not that trigger liberals.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 2:55 am

Just the latest bogey man for a certain kind of person to rail against in their online political battles.

Go out on the street and ask people what a sjw is, or a social justice warrier, they will look at you blankly.

You are being played.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 2:58 am

SJW is a vague term used as a pejoritive. This is true for most political labels.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 3:11 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Just the latest bogey man for a certain kind of person to rail against in their online political battles.

Go out on the street and ask people what a sjw is, or a social justice warrier, they will look at you blankly.

You are being played.

SJW is a bogeyman, and they aren't by any means anything more than a minority and a strawman. But they mean an awful lot to our political dialogue on a macro scale.

Id like to remind you that sjw content dominates any videos done on leftism on youtube. So no I don't think the term is meaningless and most my age know its definition.

No Biscuitman you are wrong. Watch the campaign ads made by NRA TV or against Jon Ossoff in Georgia and you will see why. This idea of a radical left and the SJWs gets thrown on television and demonized to shocking effect. It is not something we are encapsulated from, it is a term most of the political right know and then proceeds to throw around to shocking effect.

And look, as someone who does sociology and goes to a left-wing school and visits university political events frequently I have got to say that some of these types of people do exist. Some of them are friends, some dislike me but overall many of them do hold uncompromising views.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Nov 2018, 3:53 am

The issue is that, while everyone knows it originally meant "person who holds stridently progressive views", people have very different ideas of what "stridently progressive" means. Is an SJW someone who attacks body-positivity campaigns for not including any overweight trans amputees? Or is an SJW someone who doesn't have a problem with there being more than one woman in a film? The right are extremely cavalier with the term and will happily use it to attack even the most tepid progressive ideas. That means it's lost much of its original meaning. It's like how the right keep trying to claim that calling ethnic nationalists "fascists" will devalue the term, except it's progressed much further.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 4:36 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

You are being played.

SJW is a bogeyman, and they aren't by any means anything more than a minority and a strawman. But they mean an awful lot to our political dialogue on a macro scale.

Id like to remind you that sjw content dominates any videos done on leftism on youtube. So no I don't think the term is meaningless and most my age know its definition.

No Biscuitman you are wrong. Watch the campaign ads made by NRA TV or against Jon Ossoff in Georgia and you will see why. This idea of a radical left and the SJWs gets thrown on television and demonized to shocking effect. It is not something we are encapsulated from, it is a term most of the political right know and then proceeds to throw around to shocking effect.

And look, as someone who does sociology and goes to a left-wing school and visits university political events frequently I have got to say that some of these types of people do exist. Some of them are friends, some dislike me but overall many of them do hold uncompromising views.

I didn't say they don't exist. My point was that it is important to remember the online political debating world is not the same as the offline political debating world.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 4:50 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

You are being played.

I didn't say they don't exist. My point was that it is important to remember the online political debating world is not the same as the offline political debating world.

Well I can't really disagree with that statement can I.

But I am not being played.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 6:17 am

Just how f****d up does a society (or person) have to be to consider "social justice" pejorative?
Considering the way misogynists in 'Gamergate' and racists and bigots on 'Breitbart' have weaponized it, I'm quite happy to be called a 'SJW'.
I think it would make a great T-shirt, but only if it came in 'Antifa' colors.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 8:21 am

The_Walrus wrote:
The issue is that, while everyone knows it originally meant "person who holds stridently progressive views", people have very different ideas of what "stridently progressive" means. Is an SJW someone who attacks body-positivity campaigns for not including any overweight trans amputees? Or is an SJW someone who doesn't have a problem with there being more than one woman in a film? The right are extremely cavalier with the term and will happily use it to attack even the most tepid progressive ideas. That means it's lost much of its original meaning. It's like how the right keep trying to claim that calling ethnic nationalists "fascists" will devalue the term, except it's progressed much further.

It's not the views alone though, if you just have the views, you're a regressive at worst. An SJW needs to have that Machiavellian mindset to go with it where they'll try to destroy you if you don't conform to their views.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 8:29 am

Piobaire wrote:
Just how f****d up does a society (or person) have to be to consider "social justice" pejorative?
Considering the way misogynists in 'Gamergate' and racists and bigots on 'Breitbart' have weaponized it, I'm quite happy to be called a 'SJW'.
I think it would make a great T-shirt, but only if it came in 'Antifa' colors.

SJWs are about as far away from social justice warriors as you could get, that's the point. Same with "progressives" being the exact opposite.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 10:58 am

Drake wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

It's not the views alone though, if you just have the views, you're a regressive at worst. An SJW needs to have that Machiavellian mindset to go with it where they'll try to destroy you if you don't conform to their views.

SJW describes more then uncompromising or regressive ”left” political views, it describes people who engage in bullying behaviors to enforce these views.

While as I mentioned in another thread actual Nazis are more lethal an more of a potential existential threat then SJW’s. Actual Nazi thinking are in the fringes of American society while elements of SJW mentality and bullying has agency on the nations top campuses and trendy rich companies so I do view the SJW phenomenon as a significant threat to values I hold dear.

As an autistic person, seeing bullies having success and being rewarded for their bullying be it Trump or SJW’s is upsetting. Seeing both camps validating and radicalizing each other is frightening. Understanding both the value of free speech and expression and the sacrifices made to get them and noticing that my values in are becoming thing of the past and increasingly viewed as weak and enabling is just so frustrating.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Nov 2018, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 11:36 am

"animal rights"

"Love is love"

"Black lives matter" are vague statements that could easily get misinterpreted

Nobody could claim "love is :heart: not :heart: love"

:roll:

Speakers claim that "Love is love" means , the love between a man and a woman, is the moral equivalent of, the love between two men

:D

A cashier told a man, that the cashier was going to phone 911

"Don't call police. Police hrrt black people. :jester: black lives matter :roll: ", the man told the cashier

"Ok"

"Thank you"

Yes the police hurt black people, but the police hurt every racial group of people, not just blacks

The world contains a lot of police officers and a lot of suspects'.

If the police hurt two black people, his statement is correct

But his statement is misleading

"Black lives matter" does not grant all black suspects,. Exemption from criminal prosecution, for the felonies and misdemeanors that, someone rightly or wrongly, accused them of

At Berkeley Animal Rights Center, an unprovoked dog bit me. And I screamed . Someone had the nerve to tell me , to leave the building. "We don't treat animals that way :!: Animal Rights :roll: :roll: "

Involuntarily screaming, in reaction to, a dog bite, is :heart: not :heart: :mrgreen: the moral equivalent of, :skull: pigs in a slaughter house

:mrgreen:

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2018, 1:21 pm

I agree with everything that Drake says.
My first encounter with what people refer to as an SJW was online with a feminist and I didn't like it, so I went away thinking pejoratively of them, (she was just so odd with bizarre notions that had nothing to do with her privileged life)
but guess what Black lives matter and people that support this and are affected by this are also called SJWs. ( which I found quite odd)

Because to me Internet SJWs are - people that don't have a real grievance but rather they go on the internet and quarrel and bicker with fancy words complaining about a made up issue or a REAL ONE that didn't really bother them or they actually don't care about just bear regurgitation from another man's mouth

I think real SJW should be people fighting for REAL social and racial injustice
there are so many fakers out there just doing it for "Internet points" which is why I didn't get what they were.

So I do think it's unfair to list all these different subgroups under the SJW umbrella because the term has grown to become something else.

or perhaps internet SJWS are different from real SJWs...hmmmm

Last edited by 3subjectnotebook on 25 Nov 2018, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3subjectnotebook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2018, 1:56 pm

The person that talked about animal rights and love is love and black lives matter, simply don't get what black lives matter means.. and that's totally fine just don't post about something you have no clue about.

I live in Germany and at Rewe last month I saw a woman wearing a black shirt that says in big print ALL LIVES MATTER! and I almost screamed, I was mortified, I just couldn't believe it. I don't know if she thought it made her cool, or if she even knew what movement she was usurping and making a mockery of with a T-SHIRT that was designed to ignore a serious cause

The fact is everyone knows all lives matter!
and Saying "but the police hurt every racial group" is an obvi, but that is ignoring the fact that there is a disproportionate amount of hate towards Black lives

Black lives matter means that BLack lives should also matter

And everyone knows that the police do their policing with veryone BUT GUESS WHAT!
it's not just about police brutality it's about blatant RACISM AND THE UNDERVALUING OF BLACKS..

haven't you been seeing the latest videos.. (well, maybe you haven't and that's fine ---we tend not to consume things that don't affect us or our kin)

you had .permit patty, the lyft driver, the lady stopping the guy from entering his apartment, the barbecue lady,
the one that called the police on a little boy because she said he sexually assaulted her with his bag HA!

the list goes on and on,
I just don't appreciate people posting things they have no clue about or care about :heart:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 4:44 pm

I thought SJW was just someone who is delusional and can't see reality and isn't being realistic. And also it's someone who can't stand to have anyone disagree with them so they automatically label them as a bigot or nazi and block them. SJWs believe they are so right, they ignore science and not really listen to anyone and see the big picture. Anyone who disagrees with them are automatically a Nazi or a bigot. Dealing with a SJW is like dealing with a flat earth believer or a Holocaust denier or believing the Sandyhook shooting was all an act or that the moon landing was fake.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.