Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:24 pm

The author erroneously claims that austerity is an American invention, when in fact it is mentioned in the Bible, in the writings of Greek philosophers, and even practice and promoted in pre-imperial China. The reason austerity doesn’t work for everyone is that not everyone has the personal discipline to make it work.

People around the world should stop blaming America for their own stupidity.

Last edited by Fnord on 09 Dec 2018, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:39 pm

I disagree. With the exception of the Weimar Republic, how often have nation-states allowed themselves to become indentured to megalithic banks?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:44 pm

Piobaire wrote:
I disagree. With the exception of the Weimar Republic, how often have nation-states allowed themselves to become indentured to megalithic banks?
How often have the robber-barons screwed the poor out of what little money and property they had?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 6:48 am

I think the guy actually means Neoliberalism - and that's an Austrian idea.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:50 am

I prefer the term "Westernized". The British Empire probably had more of an influence on the world than America ever did. Hell the US was pretty much created by them just like Australia was.

The Western World are the ones running the show. Not just "Amuuurica!".

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:11 pm

true, the british invented liberalism, and the basis of many other things. but most things in the west after ww2 need to be attributed to the US, because european countries were destroyed and took a generation or to rebuild and were more economically conservative - still are - meaning: they stuck with how they had been doing things, having big governments etc., where the US, and then the EU as a bureaucratic structure, went all in on neoliberalism (which is almost funny to watch: the nations are actually trying to walk this tightrope between economic liberalism of the structure they built around themselves and the wellfare state the people on a national level actually want).

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 8:49 pm

Austerity's more of a protestant thing than an American thing. Look at the bright side, in the Americanised world I can talk to people from all over the world in a common language.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 9:56 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Austerity's more of a protestant thing than an American thing. Look at the bright side, in the Americanised world I can talk to people from all over the world in a common language.

Isn't the US a dominantly protestant country?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 8:06 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Not all Americans are protestant. Not all protestants are Americans.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

Probably, in rural areas, the populace is predominately Protestant.....but "Protestant" is a very broad category.

In the cities, no religion/sect really makes up an absolute "majority" in most cases.

I believe that "Christian" makes up an absolute majority in many cities. "No religion" in others. Obviously, "Christian" is much broader than even "Protestant."

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I'm well aware of that, but as kraft said it's the most common religion in this country.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 8:15 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I'm well aware of that, but as kraft said it's the most common religion in this country.

What effect did this have on American culture? How does America differ from predominantly Catholic countries?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 8:40 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

What effect did this have on American culture? How does America differ from predominantly Catholic countries?
Protestant churches in America tend to be self-organized so they are fervent at a grass-roots level. There's no big organization in Rome running things from afar. Also many of these churches have a Calvinist influence which teaches believers that they enjoy God's grace. This leads to a sort of Objectivist attitude even though Ayn Rand was not a Protestant.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

I think the point here is to stop blaming any one political system or movement that displeases you & to stop inflicting nastiness upon others just to get rich quick.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2018, 8:55 pm

America doesn't always practice austerity. If we did, we wouldn't have such a huge budget deficit.