Was Ancient Greek Education a Rape institution?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 9:34 pm

This is something I have come across recently and I don't think this should necessarily be controversial. I am starting to think that Ancient Greek schools and Palaestras existed in such a way as to rape and take advantage of vulnerable Greek children and men.

Around the time of the 3rd Century BC, it was common for Greeks in aristocratic households to start their schooling at the age of 7 in academic institutions. From then on it was common for them to be flogged by teachers all the whilst receiving an education and being taught literacy.

Many Greeks children or teens would then go on to be taught at Palestras where they would learn to exercise and wrestle. At these places, it is well known that they fought naked. And from this, young children were arguably placed in a situation where they were exposed and left vulnerable to harm by their peers. From this, we see a clear power dynamic, firstly young children have fear and control exerted over them and they are then being thrust into a situation where they are left exposed and vulnerable.

And if this wasn't enough these very same institutions contain artwork and mosaics glorifying pederasty both casually and approvingly depicting it. To me, this sends a very clear cut message, not only was this practice accepted but it was normalized as to become an experience someone would face under this system.

This comes in addition to the philosophers like Plutarch praising this practice. In fact, Plato's dialogue, Symposium both discusses and praises pedophilia. During this extract, Pasanius praises it as the ideal relationship. And it is even suggested that so-called "virtuous" and "wise" men are deserving of receiving it.

There is only one quote from this scene that gives a slight indication that this practice may be immoral. This is when Pasanius says "and secondly there is dishonor in being overcome by the love of money, or of wealth, or of political power, whether a man is frightened into surrender by the loss of them." Maybe this quote indicates that it was well understood how a young Greek can be taken advantage of and just how much they can be humiliated.

But with all these factors in mind, we, therefore, have to ask ourselves did these so-called "educational institutions" function in such a way as to purposefully inflict trauma, abuse, and cruelty of young Greeks?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 9:38 pm

Can this thread be placed somewhere else actually? Like another subforum. Come to think of it, I don't like throwing topics like this around everywhere particularly due to its intensity and the effects it has had on people.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:11 pm

Yes, the Greeks were pedophiles, and were actually so misogynistic it was culturally encouraged to practice homosexuality-- during times Athenian females had less rights than male slaves and female slaves less than livestock. There's a cultural aspect though that you don't understand: if an older man took on a boy, that boy was hot s**t, the envy of his friends, because he was going places. In fact they were trained in the art of seducing an older man. It was open and celebrated in the culture and therefore all the shame, guilt, etc, we see with pedophilia today did not exist. An Athenian boy that had an adult lover would brag to his friends, not curl up in shame. Now, I'm not saying that's right, or something we should be doing today, but the practice had a completely different social effect on the boy than it does today (the exact opposite actually).

On a side note because you're concerned about the subject matter: I'm a 2x male sexual assault survivor. I was physically forced into heinous acts by a male at age 8, and drugged and raped by a female at 13. In both situations the sexual acts were not where the psychological damage was done, it was the loss of control of my own body, the forced nature of it, the realization that this person had so much control they could kill me and there's no way to even mount a defense, and the understanding that person in control had so much social power there's no way I would ever get justice. Those are the issues that would wake me up at night in a cold sweat for 20 years, not the actual sexual nature of it. So while I've always thought the pederast philosophy of Greece was creepy, I also understand that it was nothing like the pedophilia I experienced, because those boys didn't have to worry about the issues I did.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 1:15 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, the Greeks were pedophiles, and were actually so misogynistic it was culturally encouraged to practice homosexuality-- during times Athenian females had less rights than male slaves and female slaves less than livestock. There's a cultural aspect though that you don't understand: if an older man took on a boy, that boy was hot s**t, the envy of his friends, because he was going places. In fact they were trained in the art of seducing an older man. It was open and celebrated in the culture and therefore all the shame, guilt, etc, we see with pedophilia today did not exist. An Athenian boy that had an adult lover would brag to his friends, not curl up in shame. Now, I'm not saying that's right, or something we should be doing today, but the practice had a completely different social effect on the boy than it does today (the exact opposite actually).

On a side note because you're concerned about the subject matter: I'm a 2x male sexual assault survivor. I was physically forced into heinous acts by a male at age 8, and drugged and raped by a female at 13. In both situations the sexual acts were not where the psychological damage was done, it was the loss of control of my own body, the forced nature of it, the realization that this person had so much control they could kill me and there's no way to even mount a defense, and the understanding that person in control had so much social power there's no way I would ever get justice. Those are the issues that would wake me up at night in a cold sweat for 20 years, not the actual sexual nature of it. So while I've always thought the pederast philosophy of Greece was creepy, I also understand that it was nothing like the pedophilia I experienced, because those boys didn't have to worry about the issues I did.

I am sincerely sorry that happened to you. :(

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 4:47 am

Aristophanes wrote:

Thanks for sharing what you did. I am very sorry it happened to you. And I genuinely found your story and what you said insightful. And now that you mention it, I can see why some Greeks may gain an amount of status from these relationships.

I disagree with the last two sentences of your paragraph. Inside the Greek education system, there was enormous power imbalance and lack of concern for any consent that makes the most horrific abuse possible. And I say this as someone who cannot imagine what you went through or ever judge your experience. This is an issue I am okay with discussing if you are. But I won't press it.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:50 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Thanks for sharing what you did. I am very sorry it happened to you. And I genuinely found your story and what you said insightful. And now that you mention it, I can see why some Greeks may gain an amount of status from these relationships.

I disagree with the last two sentences of your paragraph. Inside the Greek education system, there was enormous power imbalance and lack of concern for any consent that makes the most horrific abuse possible. And I say this as someone who cannot imagine what you went through or ever judge your experience. This is an issue I am okay with discussing if you are. But I won't press it.

I'm not denying there was huge power imbalance in these relationships, I'm merely saying there was no social scorn from them, which in modern society tends to be the damaging aspect to a lot of survivors. But again, you have to put it in context: all the Greeks were surrounded by dictatorships, virtually every nation firmly believed in slavery, genocide was merely an extension of warfare, and life expectancy was ~30 years old. The power imbalance in the pederast relationship was small potatoes compared to the brutality of that time period. And again, it was culturally promoted and seen as 'natural', which does have a huge impact in how the participants would feel about it. Also, the power imbalance in those relationships wasn't near the imbalance the Greeks had in their actual marriages, where again, at certain points in their history women had less rights than slaves.

And both you and Krach can stop with the sympathy, I don't need it, it took me 20+ years to get over, but I did. When I choose to share my story I do so exclusively as an example, not to tug on some emotional strings. Point being, if we're gonna debate and discuss here, don't wear kid gloves with me-- I can handle it all, because I already have. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

It’s not “sympathy” I see here.

It’s more like “acknowledgement.”

I was forced by a man onto a bed when I was 18 (I was legally an adult, but actually a child), and forced to endure him dry-humping me. Not quite what happened to Aristophanes....but it had its effect.

I don’t believe commiseration necessarily equals “feeling sorry”— It’s more like an acknowledgement most of the time.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not “sympathy” I see here.

It’s more like “acknowledgement.”

I was forced by a man onto a bed when I was 18 (I was legally an adult, but actually a child), and forced to endure him dry-humping me. Not quite what happened to Aristophanes....but it had its effect.

I don’t believe commiseration necessarily equals “feeling sorry”— It’s more like an acknowledgement most of the time.

If a sex act is against your will and intentions, it's a rape in my book regardless of age. I was physically held down, it wasn't a 'coaxing' situation. I've thought about that a lot over the years and actually feel I got off 'easy' compared to those that were psychologically manipulated into such acts. The physical violence spoke for itself, which I think made it easier for me to come to grips with than if I were coaxed into it-- if I were coaxed I could see myself constantly second guessing my decision making in regard to other people and that would be a complete nightmare.

Also, I didn't mean to be harsh in my statement on sympathy, I'd just rather focus on the issues (molestation, rape) and the consequences survivors face than my own issues. As I said, it was a long grueling process to get over, but I did it, so I'd rather focus my remaining energy on preventative measures, which include being open and honest in public settings about my experience to bring attention that it is still a problem in our society-- it can make people uncomfortable, but well, not as uncomfortable as positions I've been in. Anyhow, let's get back to the Greeks so as not to derail the thread...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

Yep. Back to the Greeks.

I wish we knew more about how the common people (i.e., who were not Athenian/Spartan/whatever citizen of their city-state) felt about pederasty and such things.

What we know, wouldn't you agree, is mostly the mores of the "upper classes," who were citizens of those city-states.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 10:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep. Back to the Greeks.

I wish we knew more about how the common people (i.e., who were not Athenian/Spartan/whatever citizen of their city-state) felt about pederasty and such things.

What we know, wouldn't you agree, is mostly the mores of the "upper classes," who were citizens of those city-states.

Yes, that's true, it's the people in power that narrate history, the common person has been hosed in that regard. That said, modern archeology helps bridge that gap-- we can now dig up the tools they were using, the homes they lived in, examine the health of their corpses, etc. While we'll never know the opinions of those commoners we do know a great deal more about their day to day lifestyle than we did a century ago. Such as: the Greeks had an erect penis fetish. Over the last hundred years we've dug up 1000's of Greek pottery shards (would be for commoners use since they would have been a drinking or storage vase if in tact), and their favorite image was a Satyr with an erect penis.

Last one here is a hyperlink to pinterest because I couldn't get the actual picture, it's modern remake of ancient Greek vase I found while looking for the other examples, I only post it here for humor. I'm calling it Bill and Monica, because if you'll notice the Satyr is giving the Bill Clinton thumbs up. You can also tell its modern and not ancient by the subject matter: sexual acts were not depicted in the ancient Greek vases, merely the erect penis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 10:31 am

LOL....We have this sort of obsession even in that Venus sculpture which has been dated to approximately 20,000 BC---even though what is depicted is exaggerated female sexual features, rather than erect penises.

Good point, though. Archaeologists have to be detectives, as well as mere diggers. They have to be coders, too. They must, sometimes, formulate theories based on what, to the layman's eye, are merely specks of dust.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 11:12 am

As for question asked:

It could easily have been, even if it wasn’t, because of the power dynamics between teachers and students.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

Aristotle once said: "Women for children, boys for pleasure."

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 12:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Aristotle once said: "Women for children, boys for pleasure."

I've never heard that one, but it fits with his overarching philosophy on the issue: Greece, especially in that era, isn't the most hospitable of areas, and Aristotle believed the pederast philosophy was invented as a form of population control. The Greek city-states always had lower populations than their neighbors because they didn't have the resources for larger populations (this would eventually be their downfall). As opposed to overpopulating and fighting each other for spoils it would make more sense to keep the population low and high quality. Pederast practice very well could have been invented just for that purpose.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 6:46 am

Was there any ancient culture during that time which was children friendly?

The Canaanites had child sacrifices and known to be incestuous.

The Romans probably were like the ancient Greeks.

Ancient Egyptians were probably the most prude? I don't recall any of their art depicting sexual acts.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 3:50 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Was there any ancient culture during that time which was children friendly?

The Canaanites had child sacrifices and known to be incestuous.

The Romans probably were like the ancient Greeks.

Ancient Egyptians were probably the most prude? I don't recall any of their art depicting sexual acts.

Or even historical cultures that were? I mean this goes up at least to Victorian times, and this depends on whether you believe in caning kids or not (which was outlawed in the UK in the 80s I think).
What angers me about caning is that they did it for things which today would be recognised as disabilities. OK, they didn't know that at the time but I don't see how being messy or unable to spell or whatever warrants a punishment, even if they didn't know what dyspraxia/dyslexia were. The same further back for deaf kids who used sign language. Seems like they were just punishing kids for being different, like bullies would do.
If someone said 'I believe in punishing kids with caning them, I found this kid bullying a much younger child so I caned them' I'd think 'hypocrite' and wouldn't think the kid deserved a physical beating but I would think the kid deserved punishment. A kid who can't spell doesn't deserve anything but educating on how to spell. That's basic human decency.
(This stuff gets to me cos mum was caned at school because she couldn't talk clearly, verbal dyspraxia. Less than twenty years later, I got speech therapy for the same thing. So very different treatments and I wasn't being spoilt, just treated for a disability)
And yes, the ancient Greeks (I mean the citizens) were paedophiles. Very sad but if you look at history, it's full of people being what we'd call abused physically and or sexually and it being socially acceptable :(