Page 53 of 53 [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 11:41 am

Bret Baier @BretBaier 8:52 AM · May 22, 2020
This morning on “The Breakfast Club” - the presumptive Democratic nominee @JoeBiden said this - “If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/12 ... 2738714625

There Are Four Lights!

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 6:57 pm

I'll be interested to find out just how many people will still support someone whose actions, or lack thereof, lead to the US having the highest pandemic death toll of any country, both quantitatively and percentage-wise. I do wonder how high that death toll has to climb before Americans say enough is enough.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 7:26 pm

Darmok wrote:
This morning on “The Breakfast Club” - the presumptive Democratic nominee @JoeBiden said this - “If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

How is this man the best Dems could come up with?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 12:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Darmok wrote:

From what I have seen, the Democrats based their "debates" and participation in them on who could raise the most money, not most individuals willing to donate to their campaign, meaning if a candidate can get the 1% or big corproations to make a donation that was the equivalent of lose change to them, this was more valuable than a large number of individuals making a sacrifice to donate from their savings.

As to his recent comment, I can't decide if it was racist, or just extremely condescending.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:05 am

Brictoria wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Darmok wrote:

From what I have seen, the Democrats based their "debates" and participation in them on who could raise the most money, not most individuals willing to donate to their campaign, meaning if a candidate can get the 1% or big corproations to make a donation that was the equivalent of lose change to them, this was more valuable than a large number of individuals making a sacrifice to donate from their savings.

As to his recent comment, I can't decide if it was racist, or just extremely condescending.

Why can't it be both? I find it more problematic for it's condescending tone than the mild racism, but that doesn't mean it doesn't also come off as racist.

For what it's worth, I was largely thinking rhetorically. Any random dog would be a better candidate than either major party is offering right now and given the disdain Trump seems to express towards dogs, the debates would suddenly be worth watching.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 3:15 am

Tross wrote:
I'll be interested to find out just how many people will still support someone whose actions, or lack thereof, lead to the US having the highest pandemic death toll of any country, both quantitatively and percentage-wise. I do wonder how high that death toll has to climb before Americans say enough is enough.

IMHO the maga mindset is "kill 'em all and let god sort it out." IOW the more deaths, the more they will reflexively blame the leftists for it all. total bloodymindedness going on there.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Tross wrote:

IMHO the maga mindset is "kill 'em all and let god sort it out." IOW the more deaths, the more they will reflexively blame the leftists for it all. total bloodymindedness going on there.

I wonder if the orange ape could go to town on a city block with a SMG and still have his loyalists support him. I don't get it, and I never will.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 8:23 am

Tross wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Tross wrote:

I wonder if the orange ape could go to town on a city block with a SMG and still have his loyalists support him. I don't get it, and I never will.

that, OR he could be caught in bed with putin, and his magas would shout in unison, "FAKE NEWS!" those people are lost to us, they will never change.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 9:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
Tross wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Tross wrote:

that, OR he could be caught in bed with putin, and his magas would shout in unison, "FAKE NEWS!" those people are lost to us, they will never change.

They would say while sometimes he does things we don’t like we still support him, and the real issue is that the deep state media is writing about this while covering up Obamagate to get Biden elected.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2020, 9:48 am

[Mod]
Please be careful when talking about groups of people. It is OK to say a certain belief is stupid, but focus on the beliefs, not the people who hold them.

[/Mod]

Biden has apologised for his remarks:

Quote:

“I know that the comments have come off like I was taking the African American vote for granted. But nothing could be further from the truth. I’ve never ever done that, and I’ve earned it every time I’ve run. I was making the point that I have never taken the vote for granted. And in fact, I know in order to win the presidency, I need the African American vote. And it was the driving force, as I said, in the beginning of my campaign a year ago, to my being able to win in the first place and win the primary. And it is going to be critical to my winning the presidency.

A politician apologising? What is this, 2015?

It was definitely a stupid thing to say. Obviously black people can hold a wide range of beliefs. But the reason Biden got the Democratic nomination is because he is extremely popular with black voters. As he mentioned during the interview, he got a higher share of the black vote in South Carolina than Barack Obama did in 2008.

Biden wouldn’t have been my first choice from the Democratic field but he has several advantages over his competitors- fifty years of public service, massive baked-in popularity with both black and white working-class voters, and buckets of charisma.

Trump is terrified of Biden. America’s enemies are terrified of Biden. Fascists everywhere are terrified of Biden. You might not like everything about the guy, but he is on your side.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 10:04 am

he chose a smart pol's speech to nick.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2020, 5:10 pm

51-39 lead for Democrats on this poll

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 8:36 am

Is he still hiding in his bunker?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 11:52 am

Colin Powell says he 'cannot in any way support' Trump; announces he will vote for Biden

Quote:
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday became the latest member of the Republican Party’s old guard to announce that he will not be voting for President Trump in November’s general election.

Powell’s admission comes amid rumors and speculation that a number of establishment Republican heavyweights have sworn off voting for Trump in favor of Democratic presidential nominee and former Vice President Joe Biden. The New York Times reported former President George W. Bush – under whom Powell served as secretary of state – and frequent Trump critic, Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, will not be voting for the current Oval Office occupant come November.

“I certainly cannot, in any way, support President Trump this year,” Powell said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “We have a Constitution and we have to follow that Constitution and the president has drifted away from it.”

Powell instead made clear that when he heads to the ballot box this fall he will be casting his vote for Biden.

I'm very close to Joe Biden in a social matter and in a political matter," Powell said. "I've worked with him for 35, 40 years. And he is now the candidate and I will be voting for him."

Powell added, however, that despite his backing of Biden’s White House run, he will not be hitting the campaign trail in support of the Democratic nominee.

"Well, I haven't been asked [to campaign for Biden] and I don't think I will be," he said. "Campaigning is not my strong suit. I'll be speaking for him, but I don't plan to make campaign trips.”

While this is not the first time that Powell has backed a Democrat over Trump – in 2016 he said he voted for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton – his announcement does come at a time when many establishment Republicans are questioning their support of Trump following his handling of the coronavirus pandemic and the widespread protests following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Along with Romney and former President Bush, the New York Times is reporting that former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Cindy McCain, the wife of late Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, are also considering voting against Trump come November.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 12:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They would say while sometimes he does things we don’t like we still support him, and the real issue is that the deep state media is writing about this while covering up Obamagate to get Biden elected.

That's an interesting way of saying the Obamagate hoax never gained traction outside of the right-wing blogosphere.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う