Yale Psychiatrist: Trump fans have trait that

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Seems some folks would prefer a spineless marshmallow. Someone who's passive and milquetoast.

False. You're mistaking peoples' disgust with Donald's behaviour with a preference for someone weak or passive. Strength is fine - desirable, even. It just needs to be wielded appropriately.. i.e. towards enemies alongside allies as opposed to the other way around resulting in 3 of your top Pentagon officials resigning in the last couple weeks, along with the department's pr woman.

It's like I posted in an L&D thread about another members' misconception that physically strong men are aggressive and violent. Not true. I know many Alpha male strong guys from the beach, some of them world class martial artists, and not a single one of us is an aggro instigator. We are all defenders & protectors.

Do you know the difference between machismo & belligerence?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:45 pm

I guess Kip & I aren't Americans then.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

cberg wrote:
I guess Kip & I aren't Americans then.

I guess maybe I'm not either.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:50 pm

Honestly at this point, Colorado is a more sovereign nation than the U.S.A. :mrgreen: :jester:

I can understand the satisfaction in saying we're all the same but it's actually just really f*****g mean. I can understand why lostonearth is allowed on here more than I can regarding some other users but I thought generalizations were considered 100% uncool here.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:53 pm

Yeah seriously, claiming that everybody in a country thinks the same or acts the same is offensive. :|

That kind of hurt my feelings!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 5:56 pm

OK next time someone in here says anything a kindergartner might say, CALL THEM OUT. We can retain our inner child without devolving towards fascism. Petulance is not the same thing as virtuous innocence.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 6:32 pm

cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Credentials don't count for much when strong personal bias is involved.

EXACTLY!! This is one of the reasons why I've often said that college degrees don't make someone smart, it only makes them learned.

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless, mind you I'm a self-trained hacker & software engineer who dropped out of high school with a GED & I still think higher education is more important than this.

People make themselves smart, or they don't. By the way, Trump founded a fraudulent "university" that was illegal under NY state law.

I feel so sorry for America that it has become the sort of place where "learned" is a slur to fling at someone, that an education is thought of as something to be mocked and disdained instead as seen as a tool of self-empowerment. That's so very sad, and tragic. I fear for the next generation of young people, if this attitude proliferates and hangs around.

How can people act in their own best interest if they are not informed about their best interest, about themselves, about the world around them? If one sees education as the enemy, what hope is there in determining where one's best interest lies?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 6:33 pm

sly279 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Seems an awful waste of money that could be put to better use.

Not the first time, indeed, but when last did a C in C threaten to bypass Congress and invoke a state of emergency? Not likely to happen in peacetime, but still not the right way to do things.

I don’t think it’s a waste. The navy wasted 30 billion on ships they immediately stopped using.
5 billion isn’t alot for governments.

Obama threaten and did bypass congress all the time
“I have a pen and paper” Obama

Why don’t you think it’s a waste?

And $5.6B is just the first instalment he wants. The estimated cost of his promised wall is $25B - and that is likely to rise.

Just because some other government agency wasted taxpayer money on a mistake doesn’t mean the American people should be on the hook for a $25B+ project that has already been proven to be ineffective at resolving the problem it’s supposed to solve. Most illegal immigrants arrive by airplane and overstay their visas. Also.. tunnels, ladders, boats, and the world’s longest undefended border to the North. A wall solves nothing & wastes tax dollars that could be better spent on effective border security, education, healthcare, or literally anything else.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 6:53 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EXACTLY!! This is one of the reasons why I've often said that college degrees don't make someone smart, it only makes them learned.

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless, mind you I'm a self-trained hacker & software engineer who dropped out of high school with a GED & I still think higher education is more important than this.

People make themselves smart, or they don't. By the way, Trump founded a fraudulent "university" that was illegal under NY state law.

I feel so sorry for America that it has become the sort of place where "learned" is a slur to fling at someone, that an education is thought of as something to be mocked and disdained instead as seen as a tool of self-empowerment. That's so very sad, and tragic. I fear for the next generation of young people, if this attitude proliferates and hangs around.

How can people act in their own best interest if they are not informed about their best interest, about themselves, about the world around them? If one sees education as the enemy, what hope is there in determining where one's best interest lies?

Yeah American education really does suck. I don't think I'm "stupid" but I'm not as educated as some people and I think it shows. But I have a good reason for that because I went to a special needs school for kids with conditions like autism, schizophrenia, and cerebal palsy and our school simply didn't have the resources to teach us what was being taught in public schools. We were actually using textbooks made in the 1980's...

And when it comes to American schools I heard we actually have tight restrictions on what teachers are actually allowed to teach. Also for some people like you said education is kind of frowned on. In the old days the well-behaved kid who paid attention in class, studied hard, and didn't cause trouble was always the target of bullies and thought of as uncool by his classmates.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:03 pm

cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Same problem with our technology, barely any of us care to understand it so everyone else just walks all over any associated progress.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:12 pm

sly279 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I'd have thought he would lose what support he had with his crazy insistence on getting his own way with the wall and threatening to overrule Congress. But no; diehard supporters will excuse anything he says or does, until the day he invokes Order 66!

Maybe they elected him to build a wall, so they support him upholding his promise to build a wall.
Hardly the first time government has been shut down to get what president wants.

He also promised that it would be made of concrete, be 30’ tall, and that Mexico would pay for it.

Why aren’t his voters holding him to any of the rest of his wall promises? Why should American taxpayers pay the bill for something he promised Mexico would pay for?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I'd have thought he would lose what support he had with his crazy insistence on getting his own way with the wall and threatening to overrule Congress. But no; diehard supporters will excuse anything he says or does, until the day he invokes Order 66!

Maybe they elected him to build a wall, so they support him upholding his promise to build a wall.
Hardly the first time government has been shut down to get what president wants.

He also promised that it would be made of concrete, be 30’ tall, and that Mexico would pay for it.

Why aren’t his voters holding him to any of the rest of his wall promises? Why should American taxpayers pay the bill for something he promised Mexico would pay for?

Maybe he meant he's going to commit genocide on the Mexicans living in the US? :?

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:24 pm

cberg wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Same problem with our technology, barely any of us care to understand it so everyone else just walks all over any associated progress.

And if you don't understand it, how can you implement it in your life conscientiously?

Even if most people were properly informed about how their technology was developed and constructed (for example: about phenomena like "planned obsolescence", or say the conditions of sweat shops and slave labour and which products are made by such) it would probably impact the choices they make of what they buy and what they use. That in turn could have a huge impact on the environment, if the large majority of tech consumers were thoroughly informed about products. All those individual incremental choices add up in the aggregate of the ecosystem of the larger world we're all participating in, and odds are informed choices would be healthier choices that would be of universal benefit.

Yet here we are deriding education.

I wonder if wilful ignorance is part and parcel of the human self-destructive drive that we supposedly all have within us; like the creative life force there is supposedly (according to guys like Freud and Jung, if I'm remembering my school days with any accuracy) a chaotic death impulse--I think Jung called it thanatos, possibly? Maybe this denial of the value of education is akin to the death drive, a self-denying subconscious whim.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:42 pm

cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

no, i really don't think Cat was using "learned" as a slur, or implying that higher education isn't something one should strive for.

i think we can agree that spending years at any university doesn't make one any wiser, but certainly more educated and knowledgeable, which is what i think she was trying to get at. wisdom comes from experience.
schooling can give you some of that, but you have to live life a bit more fully IMO to get the rest.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:43 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
cberg wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
All Americans have this trait.

Ouch

Great, he's made the whole world more racist.

I wouldn't exactly call that "racism". Maybe xenophobia? Like countries disliking other countries even when they pretty much have the same races of people? Or maybe there's a better word for it...

But yeah I get it, some people really dislike Americans and think we're all the same. I find that sad because I personally don't feel that way about other countries. :(

"xenophobia" would probably be best. oh well

but no, i don't think trump is making anyone more racist, or anything. if you like the bigoted things he says then chances are you were already a bigot before he came along. it's just exposure. credit to him for exposing just how far we have left to go in getting over medieval ways of thinking.

cberg wrote:
Dude have any of you ever realized that tunnels can go directly under walls?

the usual response to that, which i have seen, is, "we'll make it go really deep".

well, they'll just dig the tunnel deeper...

face it, the wall was never about immigration in the first place. the fact that he hires illegal immigrants at his businesses shows he doesn't care either way. the fact that he's given up so soon on making mexico pay for it shows this. like everything else in his administration it's about lining the pockets of the elite at the expense of everyone else, construction contractors and everyone else involved in this case.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:
A psychiatrist from Yale? I don't put a whole lot of stock into what someone like that thinks.
And actually, if you really look at it, I would say that it is the liberal who continues to display traits that toddlers grow out of. Conservatives don't get triggered by every little thing that's said.

are you sure?
you sound severely triggered.
actually no, you're right. they only get triggered by extremely important things, for example, college students dancing on rooftops.

Uh...what the hell are you even talking about?

Probably this

yes

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.