Baby boomers projecting their own fear of mortality

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 7:30 am

I thought this was interesting. There have been a few doom laded threads over the past few week and I thought this was an interesting take on it.

Quote:
AM: I met with some of these Democratic leaders, and they talk about polling and market testing like they’re bad network executives. I have to tell them: the second you do that, you’re dead. That’s why the Democratic party is not tackling global warming – because it polls terribly. And why wouldn’t it? It’s about the end of human life.

AC: That’s because they present it as a doom-laden dystopia, and not an opportunity to do something to change the world in an extraordinary way.

AM: The Green New Deal is exciting.

AC: Exactly. Because that allows you to combine it with attacking austerity and the badness of the present day, and saying we can produce a better world, for now and for the future. But global warming is not presented as an opportunity to change the planet in an extraordinary and better way, is it? It’s a dark force that we’re being sucked into, and can do nothing about. The politicians and the thinktankers, say: “Oh my God! It’s all going to die.” My theory is that they’re late baby boomers projecting their own fear of mortality on to the planet. They’re trapping us in the depressed mind of a dying hippy. That’s my theory.

Taken from:
Adam Curtis and Vice director Adam McKay on how Dick Cheney masterminded a rightwing revolution

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

Well, that's an interesting point of view.
Much of the global warming has already been done in the 19th and 20th centuries. The damage to ecosystems done then... we still have to clean up after them.
Yet, we're still alive and relatively well.
Heck, we are a species of African ape that colonized High Arctic! Humans are incredibly flexible when it comes to environment :>

I don't say we shouldn't care now that we know. It's wise to develop efficient, clean technologies and to care for local ecosystems and the global ecosystem, too, the best we can. But I fear wars and regimes much more than climate change. Both the nature and humans are incredibly adaptive when it comes to environmental changes.

I guess it's not a baby-boomers thing, just catastrophes sell better.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 9:48 am

They were recently rioting in France about a "Green" program like this that raised gas taxes.

Maybe it's the same compliant -- people can't afford it.