Page 1 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 6:58 am

Why exactly is suicide illegal? Yes you do not end up in jail, but if you try to kill yourself and fail to do so, the police will come and send you to a psych ward. If you resist they will arrest you and treat you like a criminal who just murdered someone. So why exactly is suicide not really legal? Why do they try to keep you alive at all costs? Even when you are a hopeless case? What do you personally think? Is it right when the government tries to keep hopeless suicidal people alive at all costs? Should assisted suicide be illegal in all cases? Should it be legal? And maybe even be available for depressed people? Should Suicide be made generally harder, or easier for people? Is it really ethical to not let people die who want to die?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 7:05 am

Because our society is still dominated by ancient, superstitious moral ideas.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 7:26 am

That is probably the reason, yes.

fakenews
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2018, 7:37 am

It should be a fundamental human right. But if it actually was made one, people would massively start commiting suicides which would mean the end of the capitalist society (which the current capitalistic leaders don't want to happen).

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 7:44 am

I read this, and I was like "Huh"? Here in the Netherlands, one will face no legal repercussions after attempting suicide.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 7:47 am

Maybe not exactly legal consequences, but they treat you like a criminal.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 7:49 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I read this, and I was like "Huh"? Here in the Netherlands, one will face no legal repercussions after attempting suicide.

Don't forget how lucky you are to live in a progressive, socially advanced country like Holland - or Switzerland, or Norway or the state of Oregon or anywhere else for that matter. The UK and US are still light years behind on many issues.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 8:12 am

Suicide is illegal because—a person might want to die at 19.....but circumstances could change at 20. If a person kills his/her self at 19, the person will not benefit from the changed circumstances which occurred at 20. He/she would be dead.

What a freakin’ waste!

There are MANY people who wanted to commit suicide when young—but went on to do great things which wouldn’t have been possible if the person committed suicide.

Suicide makes no statement.....and you don’t benefit from being dead. You just rot away.

Suicide is illegal because every person has potential. Every person has potential to gain knowledge on how to make one’s self happy. And learn how to appreciate the simple things in life. And be a benefit to his/her family or community. State, province, or country. The world. Even people on benefits could benefit others.

You are not static at 19. You are still growing.

A concrete slab in life is a helluva better than just rotting away in death.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 8:45 am

Fos11 wrote:
Maybe not exactly legal consequences, but they treat you like a criminal.

I know someone who tried to commit suicide. There were no repercussions. She was taken to the hospital, had her stomach pumped and was sent home the next day.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

What? I was for more than a month in a psychiatric hospital.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 9:09 am

But did it Change anything? No they could lock me up for a year it would change nothing, quite the opposite.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Suicide is illegal because—a person might want to die at 19.....but circumstances could change at 20. If a person kills his/her self at 19, the person will not benefit from the changed circumstances which occurred at 20. He/she would be dead.

What a freakin’ waste!

There are MANY people who wanted to commit suicide when young—but went on to do great things which wouldn’t have been possible if the person committed suicide.

Suicide makes no statement.....and you don’t benefit from being dead. You just rot away.

Suicide is illegal because every person has potential. Every person has potential to gain knowledge on how to make one’s self happy. And learn how to appreciate the simple things in life. And be a benefit to his/her family or community. State, province, or country. The world. Even people on benefits could benefit others.

You are not static at 19. You are still growing.

A concrete slab in life is a helluva better than just rotting away in death.

I don't believe that the state has the right to claim ownership over a man's life. I disapprove of suicide, but for rational, liberal reasons, not authoritarian ones - I might disagree with someone's decision to commit or not commit suicide, but I would never try to take their right to decide away from them. This is the ultimate cruelty.

Yes, there are no doubt plenty of nineteen year olds who have committed suicide who could have gone on to live (relatively) happy lives, but also many seventy year olds who have committed suicide because the alternative was a year of dying in debilitated agony - 19 year olds too, for that matter.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

Fos11 wrote:

I actually think that's better than just patching up the physical bits and sending you home still in the same mental state of despair.

Is it so hard to believe that people care and actually want you to get better and find happiness in life.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 10:20 am

hurtloam wrote:
Fos11 wrote:

I actually think that's better than just patching up the physical bits and sending you home still in the same mental state of despair.

Is it so hard to believe that people care and actually want you to get better and find happiness in life.

Mental hospitals are not pleasant places to be and one can't expect a good quality of treatment in such places, at least in the UK, where I live. I know this because I have a number of friends who have been in such places, and they're unanimous in their judgement.

British mebtal hospitals are primarily staffed by so called "healthcare assistants" (they've almost all been taken over by private companies who won't employ more qualified nurses than they have to by law, wanting to keep profits high); these healthcare assistants are usually on minimum wage and are treated so badly by management that only recent migrants will generally take the job (I don't have anything against immigrants) meaning that English is a very big problem.

These hospitals are unclean, noisy, full of bright lights and full to the brim of career criminals who make weaker patients' lives a nightmare and are allowed to do it, because the underpaid and overworked staff are scared of them. The food is terrible and the washing powder, by all accounts, will destroy your clothes. There are bogies on the walls and patients left for hours in soiled clothing. The wards are full of patients shouting and noisy, flashing pop music videos. These are not places you want to go if you have autism.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2018, 11:04 am

Is it normal to despise society?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 12:42 pm

It's probablly illegal because the government can't get any tax out of you or exoloit you in some way if you decide to take your own life. They don't give a s**t about how miserable you are.