Trump's 2019 State of the Union Address (live @ 9pm Eastern)

Page 3 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 12:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The problem is poor people.

They think Trump can give them stuff ("make America great again").

How do we break that mindset?

How do we teach poor people to accept their lot in life, accept being poor, accept Capitalism, accept free market policies?

Clinton told them directly, "America is already great, so the problem is YOU". However, obviously that didn't work.

No, the problem isn't poor people. The problem is the growing social chasm between the rich and poor, created by tax cuts and eliminating social programs and laws favoring labor, all for the benefit of the wealthy.
What's your problem with low income people? One of them gave you a wedgie back in school?

Trump's base is poor, lower educated and rural people.

You and many others lambaste these poor and desperate people everyday.

There're entire threads devoted to ridiculing these people, because they want to "make America great again".

So, clearly, poor and desperate people are the problem, because they will vote for someone who offers to "make America great again".

My family and I currently live below the poverty line as do many of our friends. None of us voted for Trump. Most of the Trump fans I personally know are the intolerant business people who attend my church.

Many of these poor people voted for Trump because they can't afford their health care.

Trump appeals for lower drug prices: 'This is wrong, unfair, and together we can stop it'
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/trump-c ... union.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 3:46 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The problem is poor people.

They think Trump can give them stuff ("make America great again").

How do we break that mindset?

How do we teach poor people to accept their lot in life, accept being poor, accept Capitalism, accept free market policies?

Clinton told them directly, "America is already great, so the problem is YOU". However, obviously that didn't work.

No, the problem isn't poor people. The problem is the growing social chasm between the rich and poor, created by tax cuts and eliminating social programs and laws favoring labor, all for the benefit of the wealthy.
What's your problem with low income people? One of them gave you a wedgie back in school?

Trump's base is poor, lower educated and rural people.

You and many others lambaste these poor and desperate people everyday.

There're entire threads devoted to ridiculing these people, because they want to "make America great again".

So, clearly, poor and desperate people are the problem, because they will vote for someone who offers to "make America great again".

My family and I currently live below the poverty line as do many of our friends. None of us voted for Trump. Most of the Trump fans I personally know are the intolerant business people who attend my church.

Many of these poor people voted for Trump because they can't afford their health care.

Trump appeals for lower drug prices: 'This is wrong, unfair, and together we can stop it'
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/trump-c ... union.html

In fact, most poor people qualify for Obama care. And where the hell is that stupendous health care Trump had promised everyone?

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:05 pm

The statement that the majority of people who voted for trump are uneducated and poor is incorrect. Many middle class, educated people also voted for trump. There isn't enough 'poor' people to win any election.

"The headline was that 39.7 million people were poor in 2017. This works out to 12.3 percent of the population or 1 in 8 Americans. The good news is that the U.S. poverty rate has fallen since 2010, when it hit 15.1 percent, and is now where it was before the Great Recession.Sep 12, 2018"

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest- ... nt-picture

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:14 pm

Crimadella wrote:
The statement that the majority of people who voted for trump are uneducated and poor is incorrect. Many middle class, educated people also voted for trump. There isn't enough 'poor' people to win any election.

"The headline was that 39.7 million people were poor in 2017. This works out to 12.3 percent of the population or 1 in 8 Americans. The good news is that the U.S. poverty rate has fallen since 2010, when it hit 15.1 percent, and is now where it was before the Great Recession.Sep 12, 2018"

I said "Trump's base".

The majority of poor people probably don't even vote.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:25 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

I said "Trump's base".

O, my bad. sorry. What does "Trump's base" mean?

Being a poor person, I can confirm that last statement is true. I didn't vote because I figured it's a rigged game, same as other poor people I know think. Out of the people I knew, only one of them actually voted. Trump winning restored my faith in the voting system, media seemed to be so against him I figured hell would freeze over before he got elected. I'll be honest, the things he said appealed to me, that's why I figured he would never win. Hillary seemed to be a person that just feeds people what they want to hear to get votes(IMO).

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:31 pm

Crimadella wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

I said "Trump's base".

O, my bad. sorry. What does "Trump's base" mean?

Being a poor person, I can confirm that last statement is true. I didn't vote because I figured it's a rigged game, same as other poor people I know think. Out of the people I knew, only one of them actually voted. Trump winning restored my faith in the voting system, media seemed to be so against him I figured hell would freeze over before he got elected. I'll be honest, the things he said appealed to my, that's why I figured he would never win. Hillary seemed to be a person that just feeds people what they want to hear to get votes(IMO).

Trump's base is white, poorer (income < $50,000), non-college educated, religious, male, "working class".
https://verdict.justia.com/2018/02/16/t ... y-speaking

These people are not prospering, so they turned to TRUMP to "Make America Great Again".

It use to be that non-college educated people could get a high paying job at a manufacturing factory, now, they likely have nothing or a low wage service job.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:41 pm

That's sad. I'm like the bottom of the pot even when I was working. If I ever made $45,000 in a year I would feel like I was on top of the world, rolling in money. O-well.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

Crimadella wrote:
That's sad. I'm like the bottom of the pot even when I was working. If I ever made $45,000 in a year I would feel like I was on top of the world, rolling in money. O-well.

That statistic is less than $50,000.

It's hard to support a family, pay a mortgage, pay bills like a car bill on less than $50,000/yr.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Crimadella wrote:

That statistic is less than $50,000.

It's hard to support a family, pay a mortgage, pay bills like a car bill on less than $50,000/yr.

I can imagine, that's why I planned to never have kids. My average income was less than $20,000

It's even worse when you know my particular situation. I became a professional in a field where professionals make $40k-$80k per year. I was an easy target because of my autism, anxiety and phobias. I knew I was getting screwed and eventually demanded raises. He would always just say he couldn't afford it because he knew my anxieties & phobias would prevent me from trying to work elsewhere. I was the ideal employee also, great work ethics, always on time and didn't lay out unless I was really sick. All he did was take advantage of me for 10 years until I just had enough, so I dropped his company truck off and sent him a text. Went and got hired as a City Employee and made more money per year than the majority of the years working for him. Honest and hard work doesn't always pay off, it ruined my life.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

Don't have to be poor to be uneducated. Majority of the college educated did not vote for Trump and leans left

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm

graceksjp wrote:
Darmok wrote:

This might be one of the stupidest 'defense of Trump' posts Ive ever seen.

They were wearing white in honor of how in the early 20th century suffragists wore white in an attempt to grab the medias attention. White stands out. It was also one of the colors on their flag.
(Do I need to define the word 'suffragists' for you too?)

Whoa----let's hit the brakes, here, please. Darmok is a VERY respected member of this community; is, IIRC, my age, and, IIRC also a teacher (or former teacher, like me); so, I'm quite sure there's not a whole lot a child, such as yourself, can teach him ("define" for him).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 8:14 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
graceksjp wrote:
Darmok wrote:

This might be one of the stupidest 'defense of Trump' posts Ive ever seen.

They were wearing white in honor of how in the early 20th century suffragists wore white in an attempt to grab the medias attention. White stands out. It was also one of the colors on their flag.
(Do I need to define the word 'suffragists' for you too?)

Whoa----let's hit the brakes, here, please. Darmok is a VERY respected member of this community; is, IIRC, my age, and, IIRC also a teacher (or former teacher, like me); so, I'm quite sure there's not a whole lot a child, such as yourself, can teach him ("define" for him).

Like any member of this forum, graceksjp can challenge anyone else, regardless of age or supposed status. I've disagreed with Darmok from time to time, and I have no doubt that I will again, regardless of the renown he holds in the eyes of other members.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 8:47 pm

It seems to me that US politics just took over from Nazi Germany. The way they all get up and clap like seals is disturbing. Mike Pence is a scary character. Trump is the most entertaining President in history.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:04 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
It seems to me that US politics just took over from Nazi Germany. The way they all get up and clap like seals is disturbing. Mike Pence is a scary character. Trump is the most entertaining President in history.

I'd much prefer a President who exemplifies dignity, rather than an insolent buffoon like Trump.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

I'd much prefer a President who exemplifies dignity, rather than an insolent buffoon like Trump.

I like Trump because it's very easy to tell that he needs nobodies money, self made billionaire. Therefor he can't be bought by 'Goldman Sachs'.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:28 pm

Then why has he been bought by the Russians and Saudis? Why did he raise more money for his inaugural than the royal wedding cost? And where did all that money go?