Japan managed to win its war on drugs. Why can't we?

Page 3 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:45 am

Successful people who smoked weed off the top of my head: clinton, obama, steve jobs, elon musk

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:50 am

The Japanese are just more disciplined. They have a tireless work ethic, rather than laying around smoking pot. They really care about the environment they live in, to the smallest detail. The majority of Japanese people really wanted to get that stuff out of their communities.

Stricter drug laws would be met with more resistance in western countries because a large number of people want to waste their lives stoned out of their brains. Just look at the number of people making up BS trying to exaggerate the benefits while minimising the harm.

The trouble is, you live in a democracy. If they try to pass laws the majority of people don't want, they'll get voted out of office. Japan is also a democracy but it has a much higher number of people who actually care about what sort of environment their community is.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 3:53 am

magz wrote:
There is a racial issue with alcohol - East Asians typically produce way less alcohol dehydrogenase than Europeans, resulting in less capacity for alcohol consumption.

Tell that to the Koreans. They could drink most of us Westerners under the table.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2019, 4:08 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
magz wrote:
There is a racial issue with alcohol - East Asians typically produce way less alcohol dehydrogenase than Europeans, resulting in less capacity for alcohol consumption.

Tell that to the Koreans. They could drink most of us Westerners under the table.

I drank with Koreans. They can't.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:19 am

magz wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
magz wrote:

I've drunk with Koreans too. It's your anecdotal evidence against mine.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2019, 4:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
magz wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
magz wrote:

I've drunk with Koreans too. It's your anecdotal evidence against mine.

My Slavic genes may have made the difference ;)

Or maybe the culture - you need to know what to eat before, when to take a short walk, etc.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 6:50 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The Japanese are just more disciplined. They have a tireless work ethic, rather than laying around smoking pot. They really care about the environment they live in, to the smallest detail. The majority of Japanese people really wanted to get that stuff out of their communities.

Stricter drug laws would be met with more resistance in western countries because a large number of people want to waste their lives stoned out of their brains. Just look at the number of people making up BS trying to exaggerate the benefits while minimising the harm.

The trouble is, you live in a democracy. If they try to pass laws the majority of people don't want, they'll get voted out of office. Japan is also a democracy but it has a much higher number of people who actually care about what sort of environment their community is.

What conservatives don't want to.tell you is that Japan's relatively low modern usage of drugs is due to strong social cohesion and a social safety net that leaves few behind, unlike our neglected urban slums.

Also, the Japanese do lots of meth, just at a lower rate than most countries. Meth was discovered in Japan, by a Japanese researcher.

And they used to use and grow cannabis for something like 2,000 years. That only ended when the US occupied Japan and imposed their own drug laws. But that was also when meth use was introduced, by our troops, who were given meth by the military to help fight.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 7:51 am

AspE wrote:
What conservatives don't want to.tell you is that Japan's relatively low modern usage of drugs is due to strong social cohesion and a social safety net that leaves few behind, unlike our neglected urban slums.
Like I said, they care about their community.

AspE wrote:
But that was also when meth use was introduced, by our troops, who were given meth by the military to help fight.
Not the only a time a culture's own invention was given back to them.

AspE wrote:
Also, the Japanese do lots of meth, just at a lower rate than most countries.
Sorry, could you explain what you mean? They do a lot but less? Do you mean fewer people consume more?

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Like I said, they care about their community.

Indeed. And Republicans only care about harsh laws. Harsh laws in connection with investment in a social safety net might work, but laws alone will not.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sorry, could you explain what you mean? They do a lot but less? Do you mean fewer people consume more?

I mean they do a significant amount of drugs. Perhaps less than other countries, but they also cover up the problem with lies to avoid embarrassment.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:33 pm

AspE wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Cannabis is a disaster drug, linked with mental illness and terrorism. We have two hideous drugs in our societies already, launching a third world be reckless. Government's get more than enough tax, and they just spend trillions on wars and bailing out banks anyway. The only argument for legalizing drugs is stopping the intelligence agencies from using drugs to fund undercover ops. People doing drugs definitely hurts others, like the terrorism we've seen by drug users and it hurts their family members and puts a strain on healthcare systems. Good on Japan.

Japan has cultural differences, and cannabis is relatively benign, certainly far less harmful then alcohol. Your BS propaganda is pretty weak.

They just enforce their possession laws too.

Oh dear... https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... depression

And just bringing up alcohol isn't an argument.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

I find it outrageous that a lot of staunch opponents of freedom of speech and expression make an argument that people should be free to do what they want when it comes to cannabis when that actually does affect others.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:43 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
magz wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
It's a fallacy to compare it to alcohol; alcohol has been consumed in the west for millennia and, like it or not, is a part of our culture - cannabis, on the other hand, is a 1960s imposition from those functionless creatures - the hippies. It can and should be eradicated while still in its nascent stages.

I see.
An agressive lowlife on booze is okay to the society.
An agressive lowlife on weed is a major threat because he is part of the evil hippie movement heritage.

That's just silly. Alcohol doesn't have the same close link to mental illness (in particular, psychosis) that cannabis does; yes, for an hour or two after getting drunk, someone might become dangerous and should be dealt with as such, but alcohol doesn't turn young men into paranoid schizophrenics or permanent useless vegetables the way cannabis does - or not with nearly the same degree of probability.

But my point was that alcohol has some historical and cultural value, aside from health considerations - cannabis, being a poison which came into favour precisely as a result of its use by a group of people who REFUSED to contribute anything to society or our cultural heritage, does not share this accolade.

:lmao: We REFUSED? You clearly have no idea who you're talking about. Hippies just don't care to hoard accolades for our contributions.

You have weed to thank for your computer's security updates, stop being so ungrateful.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:45 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
I find it outrageous that a lot of staunch opponents of freedom of speech and expression make an argument that people should be free to do what they want when it comes to cannabis when that actually does affect others.

Plainly none of you seem to care about cancer therapy, little kids' seizures or even your seniors' ailments.

This thread is disgusting & bigoted. If you're going to drag me through the mud for smoking, say it to my face & prepare for no drama whatsoever.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:47 pm

All I see when I read this is a bunch of bloodthirsty prohibitionists.

Have any of you even heard of denatured alcohol or synthetic cannabis? Those things are exponentially more dangerous than booze & weed.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:56 pm

Some of you are cool.

Everyone else PLEASE STAY OUT OF COLORADO.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 5:05 pm

cberg wrote:
Some of you are cool.

Everyone else PLEASE STAY OUT OF COLORADO.

I'm still shaking off the shock that for something like three pages everyone was tacitly agreeing with prohibition. It' part of why I commented earlier - either the OP just got real lucky with who responded or some really strange public unconscious stuff is coming up to the surface.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin