Egotism with values: my personal philosophy

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ThePerfectionist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2019, 7:56 pm

I base my personal code off a set of behaviors designed to satisfy these conditions:

1. Does not intervene in another persons' life in a forceful or malignant way whatsoever. Allows every other person to live their own lives, so long as they are not being harmful themselves.

2. Brings the self up as high as possible in terms of esteem, wealth, image, and actual success.

I leave it at these because adding any other conditions would taint the meaning of the ones I have set forth. My code of condict diverges from traditional views in the sense that being egotistical is not put down, but rather encouraged. As long as I am just viewing my own abilities as something to be proud of, with no intent to put anybody else's views down, it is absolutely favorable. If anything, I see telling a prideful person who is not putting anybody down in his proud to "be humble" as a put-down in disguise because that person has every right to flaunt themselves and it does not personally attack anybody to do this act alone.

I think confidence is necessary to motivate the self. Not the false confidence you see in narcissists and the like, but genuine and justified pride. Remember that narcissists are not confident, but deeply insecure. What I am advocating, is to be genuinely prideful on a realistic level and fighting insecurity that might lead somebody to behave in a compensatory, narcissistic manner. I view things such as excessive humility, self hatred, insecurity, and so on and so forth, as harmful traits that will leave a person going to desperate and sometimes malignant depths to cover up from themselves, and will result in a more unmotivated and hollow individual. The apathy that will result from low self pride can sometimes manifest in dangerous antisocial behavior.

I think that in order to love other people genuinely, you must first love yourself genuinely. If you are not your own supplier of self-worth, then you may end up seeking that supply in others and merely use them to this selfish end. But if that self worth is already being satisfied by yourself, then anybody you choose to bring into your life will be there not out of a selfish need, but a geniune enjoyment of THEIR self worth. If you are using others for self worth but do not actually love yourself, I would reccomend taking some time alone everyday to invest in things you consider yourself talented at.

In general, I do not find isolation to be a bad thing. Things like peer pressure are a real problem from a young age, people who are too reliant on peer acceptance will find themselves addicted to a lifestyle revolving around conformity and the rug will be swept under them if they ever find themselves alone. You need to be comfortable alone, and figure out how you can derive happiness without others, and when around others it is important to be absolutely uncompromising about your personality. The ones who will allow you to be you will stay, and the ones who want you to change for them will go, and that will be a win for you. Surround yourself by people you both truly like and who truly like you, otherwise cut them off.

One major thing I emphasize is a lack of force against others. Unless others try to force you to do something, don't use force on them. Whether it be physical, verbal, ect- don't tell others how to be, what to do, ect. Let them develop their own style in this world. Keep in mind this does not mean do not debate. In fact, you should be shameless about your opinions, but try to be objective about them- bring yours up, not others down. But if at the end of the day you do not care, so be it. They should leave you be or go away after that. This includes altriusm; you ought not to be required to give or do anything for ANYONE, given you are not hurting anyone. You can if you want but this should not be a moral or legal requirement, because the act of forcing somebody to give up their things for somebody else is more aggressive than simply declining to do so. If your personal style offends somebody but is not hurting them, it is not your responsibility to change that for them, because at the end of the day you might hate theirs too but still give them the right to be themselves.

And this, is my philosophy that I live by.

Please tell me what thoughts this has given you.