Why it was wrong for House Democrats to pass the border bill

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 12:52 am

On 6/27, under Pelosi's leadership, the Democratic-controlled House passed a bill to provide $4.6 billion in funding for border patrol and security. Pelosi expressed a belief that this money was going to be used to relieve the inhumane conditions that many migrants are being kept in. But as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and other Representatives made clear, the bill provided no guarantee that the money would actually be used to help the migrants' conditions; this was the bill that passed both the House and the Senate and was signed by the President. (Previously, the House had passed a bill that made guarantees for humane treatment, but it was not considered by the Senate.)

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pramila- ... 7d1e1c6cfa

Pelosi seems to trust that the money will go toward humane treatment, but that is a mistake. The Trump Administration has repeatedly used dehumanizing language to refer to migrants, using such terms as "infestation". History shows that the use of such rhetoric by leaders generally goes nowhere good, and such leaders have zero regard for the human rights of the people they're targeting with their rhetoric:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/politics ... index.html

What this means is you cannot trust the Trump Administration to do the right thing here. The border bill should have included protections for migrants.

On Thursday, some Democratic Senators finally unveiled legislation to protect children, but I think they're Johnny come lately. By passing the border bill like how Trump wanted, the Democrats have lost their leverage over Trump and the Republicans:

https://www.merkley.senate.gov/news/pre ... -at-border

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:49 am

I hate this country... I wish I could move. f**k America!

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:30 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:

Why don't you apply for residence in Mexico or Venezaula?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:44 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:

Why don't you apply for residence in Mexico or Venezaula?

Why don't you blow it out your ditty bag?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

[mod]

Calm down, treat each other with respect, and avoid personally involving the other person in the discussion.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:14 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
[mod]

Calm down, treat each other with respect, and avoid personally involving the other person in the discussion.

Oki doki

uyyu
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2019, 8:13 pm

Obama officials rushed to explain photos from 2014 that went viral showing locked-up immigrant children — and Trump's facilities look the same

so its the same.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 10:44 pm

uyyu wrote:
Obama officials rushed to explain photos from 2014 that went viral showing locked-up immigrant children — and Trump's facilities look the same

so its the same.

No, it's not. Obama was no angel, but Trump with his zero tolerance and family separation policies has made the problem much much worse.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

No, it's not. Obama was no angel, but Trump with his zero tolerance and family separation policies has made the problem much much worse.

It's not Trump's fault the ninth circuit court made it illegal to keep the children with their parents.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 12:59 am

Bataar wrote:
beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

It's not Trump's fault the ninth circuit court made it illegal to keep the children with their parents.

It was his fault to keep all those people in cages like that for such an extended time due to his ideological devotion to zero tolerance, but it is true that the Border Patrol has been a mess for a while:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ion-227357

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 2:21 am

Bataar wrote:
beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

Wasn't it the court's idea to keep the children separate from the adult population for their safety?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 3:56 am

EzraS wrote:
Bataar wrote:
beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

Wasn't it the court's idea to keep the children separate from the adult population for their safety?

Help me remember something. If a family arrives and applies for asylum, and doesn't have a criminal record or something, didn't the court say they had to release the family into the US with a court date? I'm trying to remember.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 5:00 am

beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Bataar wrote:
beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

Help me remember something. If a family arrives and applies for asylum, and doesn't have a criminal record or something, didn't the court say they had to release the family into the US with a court date? I'm trying to remember.

You are answering a qustion with a question again.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 12:14 pm

EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Bataar wrote:
beneficii wrote:
uyyu wrote:

so its the same.

You are answering a qustion with a question again.

Who can answer our questions?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 12:27 pm

Well, anyway, reading Wikipedia, Trump created a zero tolerance policy in early 2018 "to deter illegal immigration and to encourage tougher legislation". However, even though it was announced in 2018, the practice began about a year prior, early in Trump's presidency. Family separation was part of this policy, but the Administration failed to create any plan "to reunite the families that it had separated". In June 2018, Trump formally ended the policy. Even so, since then "hundreds of children have been separated from their parents".

Obama's policy was to build family detention centers to place migrant families, but the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in Flores v. Lynch (2016) that children could not be held so long. So Obama's response was to release women and children after 21 days detention. That way the children could still be adequately cared for.

However, the Trump Administration derided Obama's response as "catch and release" and created the zero tolerance policy mentioned above. The problem with this policy is the negative effects the Administration is inflicting on the children. Trump claimed falsely that he "was implementing the same policy as Obama", as Obama did its best NOT to break up families.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_adm ... ion_policy

Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Ezra S.? Here are the facts and the context.