Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sergio Maretto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2019, 3:28 pm

Would you go live in a residence reserved for people with asperger's syndrome or high-functioning autism?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

It depends.

If they are going to treat me like any other human being, with valid thoughts and feelings, likes and dislikes, and the freedom to come and go as I please, then "Maybe".

If they are going to treat me like a mental-health patient, keep me sedated, limit my activities, and prevent me from having any outside contact without supervision, then "Hell No!"

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2019, 4:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
It depends.

If they are going to treat me like any other human being, with valid thoughts and feelings, likes and dislikes, and the freedom to come and go as I please, then "Maybe".

If they are going to treat me like a mental-health patient, keep me sedated, limit my activities, and prevent me from having any outside contact without supervision, then "Hell No!"

Yep. I know of a number of such places, and they all fall into the latter category. It seems where provision for people with any kind of "pathology" is involved, the only relationship that can exist between the provider and the user is one of master and slave. I'd stay well clear.