Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 5:02 pm

I've been doing research on the up and coming 2020 presidential candidates, and I've been so incredibly impressed with Mayor Pete Buttigieg. For those who don't know, he's a 37-year-old Harvard graduate, Rhodes scholar and Afghanistan veteran, he speaks eight languages, is a concert pianist, gay and married, and is absolutely the brightest and most articulate presidential candidate I've ever heard. I'm so overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness and candor he brings to every discussion, and his gentle kindness for all people.

Policy-wise, he's a democrat who supports Medicare for all, the Green New Deal, and increasing the minimum wage. His biggest priority is getting a handle on climate change, and he wants to rejoin the Paris Accord immediately. He also wants to pass a federal equality act which would ban discrimination against LGBT people, preventing them from being fired for being gay or trans, and repealing Trump's recent ban on trans people entering the military.

He's my new special interest, and I've never been more excited by a presidential candidate than I am about him. To those of you with any interest in politics at all, I implore you to research him. If we can get past all the homophobes and geriatrics who think he's too young, I can absolutely see him taking the nomination.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 7:34 pm

I'm hardly geriatric (24) and think he's too young, and more importantly too inexperienced. He seems like a bright and promising politician (even if I think medicare for all and Green New Deal are impractical policies). Running a country is a lot harder than saying nice things on the campaign trail or being mayor of the 4th largest city in Indiana. I'd rather the post go to a governor or seasoned senator (at least 1.5 terms) than a mayor, congressman, junior senator, or complete outsider.

Smarts matters, but so does experience. Anyone who is smart and has taken on a complex new job, knows it took them a while to get the hang of it. Mayor to President is just too big a jump unless your city is named New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and is larger than some medium sized states.

And yeah I'm against Trump for his inexperience. I think he's shown how crazy the federal government can be when someone who doesn't have the pre-requisites gets the job.

eilishbillie987
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm

each of them looks like a little column supporting the pedestal of kamala ft maybe beto ..

i dont know if america is ready for buttigieg or yang .. buttigieg looks distant from the blacks and browns or rural whites .. but they will have a lot of more fun at the primary debate than the rest .. idk .. it seems their goals are only to make the democrats look a bit more inclusive and interesting ..

we do get duolingo with dua lipa !

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/pres ... ages.html/

eilishbillie987
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2019, 8:12 pm

America needs healings .. . balmings. .. curings.. (not as preserving but like as in Medicure) and stuff..

We look like a nation of psychologically damaged ranging from traumatic, deranged, psychopathic, bot-like frozen, superfluous, delusional, stupefied and avolitional and pulling and sabotaging america and the world and the entire humanity in all possible directions.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 11:25 pm

Antrax wrote:
I'm hardly geriatric (24) and think he's too young, and more importantly too inexperienced. He seems like a bright and promising politician (even if I think medicare for all and Green New Deal are impractical policies). Running a country is a lot harder than saying nice things on the campaign trail or being mayor of the 4th largest city in Indiana. I'd rather the post go to a governor or seasoned senator (at least 1.5 terms) than a mayor, congressman, junior senator, or complete outsider.

Smarts matters, but so does experience. Anyone who is smart and has taken on a complex new job, knows it took them a while to get the hang of it. Mayor to President is just too big a jump unless your city is named New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and is larger than some medium sized states.

And yeah I'm against Trump for his inexperience. I think he's shown how crazy the federal government can be when someone who doesn't have the pre-requisites gets the job.

Buttigieg has pointed out that being mayor of a city requires many of the same executive skills as being president; switching from meetings about implementing some future plan to jumping onto the scene of an emergency within hours or minutes; managing conflicts between different groups of people (police and people of colour, for instance); understanding the strengths of your team and how best to divide them in order to get things done, etc. You can be in congress or the senate and have never in your life managed more than maybe 100 or so people, so what makes a congressman or senator so much more qualified?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Vila
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2019, 11:45 pm

He looks like an evil ventriloquists dummy like in The Twilight Zone or Friday The 13th:The Series. All the liberal candidates scare the hell out of me(Especially Gavin Newsome). It scares me even more that they don't scare the hell out of liberals.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 2:07 am

He is an interesting candidate and a candidate that there is a lot of "buzz" around at the moment.

I must caution that the first votes will not be cast for another 10 months and primary campaigns have a history of candidates having a moment and then quickly fading into oblivion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 3:07 am

Vila wrote:
He looks like an evil ventriloquists dummy like in The Twilight Zone or Friday The 13th:The Series. All the liberal candidates scare the hell out of me(Especially Gavin Newsome). It scares me even more that they don't scare the hell out of liberals.

As far as I know, Newsom isn't running.

My dream general election, of the people who have declared runs, would be Hickenlooper or Klobuchar vs. Weld.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 4:56 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
Antrax wrote:

Buttigieg has pointed out that being mayor of a city requires many of the same executive skills as being president; switching from meetings about implementing some future plan to jumping onto the scene of an emergency within hours or minutes; managing conflicts between different groups of people (police and people of colour, for instance); understanding the strengths of your team and how best to divide them in order to get things done, etc. You can be in congress or the senate and have never in your life managed more than maybe 100 or so people, so what makes a congressman or senator so much more qualified?

Mayor is the same job as president on a much smaller scale. It's like being a coach of the local high school team basketball team versus coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Or it's like being the boss in a 12 person small company versus the CEO of General motors.

Senator is a different job than president but operates on the same scale and with the same issues as president. In my two analogies it's like being a longtime player for the Los Angeles Lakers or chief technical officer of General motors.

Governor is the same job as President, but at an intermediate level. In my analogies it's like being head coach of the Duke Blue Devils or CEO of a small public company with a few thousand workers.

Sometimes NBA teams hire college coaches, sometimes they hire ex-players. I've never seen an NBA team hire a high school coach.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 4:42 am

He supported Israel shooting children, applauded it. He's a war monger and is getting massive corporate support. He's a penny shop Obama whose more sadistic.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 7:13 am

I guess it would be funny if the US went from having a Game Show host as President to a guy called butthurtgeek

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 8:27 am

JohnPowell wrote:
He supported Israel shooting children, applauded it. He's a war monger and is getting massive corporate support. He's a penny shop Obama whose more sadistic.

Sounds like he has a good shot at becoming the Dem nominee. Tulsi Gabbard is the only one in the field I'd vote for. Unfortunately, there's no way they will let her succeed. I'm sure I'll be voting third-party again in 2020.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 9:46 am

VegetableMan wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Sounds like he has a good shot at becoming the Dem nominee. Tulsi Gabbard is the only one in the field I'd vote for. Unfortunately, there's no way they will let her succeed. I'm sure I'll be voting third-party again in 2020.

They probably do what they did to Ron Paul. Thing is if they got behind her she could beat Trump.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 11:10 pm

I knew it was going to happen - Republican hecklers are following Buttigieg from campaign event to event, loudly attacking him for his sexuality. One jackass even called him, "Son of Gomorrah." So far, Mayor Pete is handling it with humor and class.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 12:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I knew it was going to happen - Republican hecklers are following Buttigieg from campaign event to event, loudly attacking him for his sexuality. One jackass even called him, "Son of Gomorrah." So far, Mayor Pete is handling it with humor and class.

He praised Israel for bombing children so who cares about his sexuality.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 1:01 am

he's gotta be better than the troglodyte we have now.