do u think theres a fully functioning machine translation

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 12:46 am

do u think theres a fully functioning machine translation in this world , or its the same stuff like statistical machine learning that we currently have

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 8:00 pm

You mean whether there can ever be one, in theory? - I guess only if there's artificial consciousness. That would maybe get it to human level translation.
But not perfect, because perfect is actually not possible, even in theory.

Fully functioning however: sure. For so languages, it's functioning already. Brute forcing lookup tables (also known as artificial intelligence) is doing amazing work.
For most languages, it's going to be functioning in a few uears, I'm guessing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 5:45 pm

As long as A.I. is based on von Neumann architecture, language translation will be fraught with errors, because those look-up tables take into account only the literal meanings of words, and then only the most-used ones. What they don't take into account are the colloquialisms, slang, and regional dialects within each language. Then there is the old GIGO problem.

(It would really help if people were consistent in their use of capitalization, grammar, punctuation and spelling.)

Only when A.I. is based on neural architecture that learns by listening and communicating will the level of expertise meet or exceed that of humans.

Until then, we have Google. It's better than having nothing at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.