Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 9:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
as though the present POTUS doesn't also view 99% of us with contempt?

So just get another less transparent one? Why not aim for something better?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 9:11 pm

Bismarck said that "politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best." that is especially true here. our bi-polar political system isn't capable of nuance. amuuuuricans have to grow up a LOT before this changes to any degree.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 11:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Oh, he does! Make no mistake, he does.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

he couldn't advertise that fact any better than he does unless he has his flunkies put up billboards along the highways and pays for adverts on tv and radio and print, that he thinks we're a bunch of semi-useless tools for him to do with at a whim.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 11:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

he couldn't advertise that fact any better than he does unless he has his flunkies put up billboards along the highways and pays for adverts on tv and radio and print, that he thinks we're a bunch of semi-useless tools for him to do with at a whim.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 1:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Same as any President then.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 1:25 am

but seldom have we had a POTUS who was so damned obvious about it.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 4:25 am

Right which makes it better because the establishment is on show. Though they support Trump when he drops bombs.

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2019, 5:15 am

Buttigieg isn't winning this way.

He wants to use his religion and "redefine Christianity". But reality is you're not going to. Take it from someone who grew up in that environment. Christianity IS hand-in-hand with the Republican party and conservative ideology in this country, and that is probably never going to change.

You're going to isolate the progressive left who despises Christianity and all things religion right now, as they see it as the symbol of Republicans, the symbol of Trump.

And if by some miracle he makes it to the general election, you have people like Bachmann, Huckabee, etc., that most of the devout religious see as "true Christians" saying Trump is a paragon of Christianity (Bachmann going so far as saying we will probably never have a more Christian president in our history) while Buttigieg is being heckled around being called the "son of Gomorrah". Who do you think wins the religious vote?

So he's not going to win like this. Unfortunately, as much as it's annoying, he's going to have to follow the progressive left and either ignore or be hostile toward the religious in order to have any hope of winning.

Rdos: Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 8:04 am

Maybe he should try and get some policies

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 1:58 pm

Harpuia wrote:

He wants to use his religion and "redefine Christianity". But reality is you're not going to. Take it from someone who grew up in that environment. Christianity IS hand-in-hand with the Republican party and conservative ideology in this country, and that is probably never going to change.

You're going to isolate the progressive left who despises Christianity and all things religion right now, as they see it as the symbol of Republicans, the symbol of Trump.

And if by some miracle he makes it to the general election, you have people like Bachmann, Huckabee, etc., that most of the devout religious see as "true Christians" saying Trump is a paragon of Christianity (Bachmann going so far as saying we will probably never have a more Christian president in our history) while Buttigieg is being heckled around being called the "son of Gomorrah". Who do you think wins the religious vote?

So he's not going to win like this. Unfortunately, as much as it's annoying, he's going to have to follow the progressive left and either ignore or be hostile toward the religious in order to have any hope of winning.

Actually, I consider myself to be of the progressive left, but I also fancy myself to be a Christian. I hardly consider Buttigeig as so divisive.

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2019, 3:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:

Actually, I consider myself to be of the progressive left, but I also fancy myself to be a Christian. I hardly consider Buttigeig as so divisive.

I have "friends" (I use that term very loosely) on the progressive left on Facebook that would never vote for Buttigieg because of his religious tendencies. He's been getting a surprising amount of votes from more centrist and conservative (they still exist?) Democrats. Unfortunately, we centrists are poison this election cycle.

You sound cool though. I like economic progressives who are willing to look at options besides Bernie Sanders and whatever AOC likes. Bernie's cool and all, but he feels very different this time around, and I can't put my finger as to why.

Me? I like Buttigieg and Yang. But the progressive left I know would never vote in a devout Christian or an Asian man. At least not right now. Yang especially prob has a better chance primarying Trump than trying to go for the DNC nom especially since some liberal media articles I've been reading have been trying to tie him and his ideas to the alt-right.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 4:15 pm

Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:

I have "friends" (I use that term very loosely) on the progressive left on Facebook that would never vote for Buttigieg because of his religious tendencies. He's been getting a surprising amount of votes from more centrist and conservative (they still exist?) Democrats. Unfortunately, we centrists are poison this election cycle.

You sound cool though. I like economic progressives who are willing to look at options besides Bernie Sanders and whatever AOC likes. Bernie's cool and all, but he feels very different this time around, and I can't put my finger as to why.

Me? I like Buttigieg and Yang. But the progressive left I know would never vote in a devout Christian or an Asian man. At least not right now. Yang especially prob has a better chance primarying Trump than trying to go for the DNC nom especially since some liberal media articles I've been reading have been trying to tie him and his ideas to the alt-right.

Why thank you! 8)
Maybe because I'm a Lutheran, I've been raised with certain notions: such as that there's the Kingdom of the right hand (God's realm, which is both heaven and in the hearts of believers), and the Kingdom of the left hand (the kingdom of man, or secular government, which is flawed being of man). While God rules both, they are kept separate, which in fact Madison credited to the origins of separation of church and state. And of course, Luther himself had once observed: "I'd rather be ruled over by a competent, unbelieving Turk than by an incompetent Christian."
As Buttigeig is an Episcopalian, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that he's familiar with such thinking, as the founder of his faith, Thomas Crammer, had been one of Luther's theological students. They are also a mainline denomination, as are Lutherans, thus having more sensible ideas.

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2019, 4:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:

Why thank you! 8)
Maybe because I'm a Lutheran, I've been raised with certain notions: such as that there's the Kingdom of the right hand (God's realm, which is both heaven and in the hearts of believers), and the Kingdom of the left hand (the kingdom of man, or secular government, which is flawed being of man). While God rules both, they are kept separate, which in fact Madison credited to the origins of separation of church and state. And of course, Luther himself had once observed: "I'd rather be ruled over by a competent, unbelieving Turk than by an incompetent Christian."
As Buttigeig is an Episcopalian, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that he's familiar with such thinking, as the founder of his faith, Thomas Crammer, had been one of Luther's theological students. They are also a mainline denomination, as are Lutherans, thus having more sensible ideas.

I grew up born-again evangelical. Who were considered true Christian's were a very small number and there were a few that even went the Calvinist route of predestination fused with modern prosperity gospel.

Needless to say at this point I've been condemned to hell more times than I can count.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:

Why thank you! 8)

I grew up born-again evangelical. Who were considered true Christian's were a very small number and there were a few that even went the Calvinist route of predestination fused with modern prosperity gospel.

Needless to say at this point I've been condemned to hell more times than I can count.

If bigots and hypocrites tell you you're going to Hell, wear it with as a badge of pride! :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:

Why thank you! 8)

I've never heard of Crammer. I always thought the Episcopal Church was founded by King Henry VIII.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!