Make a guess on how long until your country falls apart

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 8:38 pm

I'm going to guess 35 years in 2044. For the USA.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 6:09 am

Could very well be in my lifetime... either we go down with the EU or at least with most of the countries in it, or we leave EU and it causes a chain reaction that brings us down. Or Russia invades, but out of the three I'd say it's the least likely possibility.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 7:49 am

The UK is already finished.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 7:55 am

133 years, 4 months, and 12.725 days.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 3:44 am

I heard somewhere that climate change will wipe out humanity in 12 years. :mrgreen:

JohnPowell wrote:
The UK is already finished.

It's in pretty bad shape.
What did you do?

Never thought I would see the day that there is so much chaos in Great Britain.
May I suggest we change the name to: "Not so Great Britain"?
Too soon? 8O

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:29 am

The UK? Hopefully in 10 years or so.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:37 am

They've been saying that climate change tripe for years.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 8:20 am

country: decades, at least. I'm not worried about the country I live in. Nothern Central Europe seems stable.
However, the EU .... not so sure. Mainly because I think that the Euro is very problematic.
Maybe there'll be a Euro-north and everyone else goes back to drachma, lira or pesos. I'm not sure if that would break the EU, though.
and while some countries want outl like the UK and I think Hungary and some others, yet others want in. so... don't know. I think it'll rather turn into an ineffective mess than actually fall apart.

Also: I don't think the UK is finished. It just needs some rethinking of how neoliberal it wants to be. Maybe the scots and the welsh and the northern Irish will band together and invade england.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 8:24 am

I think once the welfare states collapse authoritarian regimes will take over the western world.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 8:25 am

What is the main issue between the UK and EU?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 9:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What is the main issue between the UK and EU?

There is no one simple answer on this. Different people will give you different answers, some will then disagree with each other over the answers claiming they are based on false information and misunderstands and then others will claim the same the other way.

Good luck with your question.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 10:17 am

Arganger wrote:
I'm going to guess 35 years in 2044. For the USA.

Really? That long? :roll:

Of course, they'll probably have annexed Canada in that time. If that ever happens...well, I'll be around 80 in 35 years and probably too old to care. But if it happens in only a few years, I'll be kind of slightly annoyed.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 10:51 am

Societies are constantly coming apart and coming back together - simultaneously. The trick is making sure that the coming apart isn't so exceeded by the coming together that the whole thing flies apart. I think also as real risks of us coming apart keep presenting themselves people will be less on autopilot, especially with as much information as there is out there on the internet, and more concerned with that - of itself - as an existential threat. We're starting to see prescriptions on what can be done for that, Andrew Yang is a great example.

The thing I'm more concerned about perhaps are large-scale events, especially man-made meets natural disasters (like Fukushima for instance) or terrorist activities by increasingly small and radical groups of activists that could have profound consequences in their damage and potential to polarize the populace. My concern with those things is that they're not predictable, the metadata of the event and whose politics it hits how will have a lot to do with how it gets digested, or worse - how fast government might panic and start clawing back individual liberties.

To resolve out properly this things need to stay liquid and I'm hoping if any potentially crystallizing events come up that there will still be enough social and intellectual liquidity in the system left to buffer it. If government decides to step in that drinks up a lot of said liquidity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 12:01 pm

My country will fall apart the moment the original poster stops beating her spouse! :lol:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 3:28 pm

For the U. S., any day now!

Remember T.S. Eliot’s ending to his poem The Hollow Men:

Quote:
This is the way the world shall end:
Not with a bang but a whimper.

(although I’d rather see it end as described in the Dies irae section of the ancient Latin mass for the dead.)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 3:48 pm

From where I live, here somewhere in the larger Catholic country of the Maritime Southeast Asia -- I have 3 guesses.

First would and my most cynical one be would be in a cultural sense -- around since 1520s and buried deep, not really around 1970s like most people knew from the textbooks and elders.

Second would be a bit practical. Economically speaking, since 1980s to, well, anytime now because of the government. The stats and numbers in the net, real or not, doesn't reflect the majority's reality. If I were paranoid, it's because of China and possible war.

Third if I give anything a benefit of a doubt, well.. Around 5-150 years or so. But not by falling apart in a cultural or economical sense, but something to do with the climate change and rising sea levels. Then the indirect effects of the first and second reasons when if happens.

Sorry to butt in. :lol: Yet not sorry for not being from Europe or America.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.