Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 7:25 am

Does it bother anybody else the way that the media talks trash about her when her biggest crime is simply being married to Donald Trump? She doesn't seem to be the as*hole that her husband is, yet people treat her like being married to Trump means she must be just as horrible and that everything wrong he does is her fault too.

Like the fact that she said she would like to put an end to bullying. Of course that's ironic given the kind of person her husband is, but does that really mean she doesn't feel strongly about protecting children from bullying? I mean it isn't actually her fault that he chooses to be an as*hole.

That is pure sexism in my opinion. Blaming the wife for the actions of her husband and not accepring her as her own person.

And it is mostly liberals being sexist in their attitudes towards Melania. Ironic, isn't it? :|

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 7:48 am

I haven't seen much said about Melania, good or bad, from liberals or conservatives, in the last three years.

Though I did see this wicked sketch from Finland, in which she is an important supporting character.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 7:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
I haven't seen much said about Melania, good or bad, from liberals or conservatives, in the last three years.

Though I did see this wicked sketch from Finland, in which she is an important supporting character.

I've heard people call her everything from a whore to a gold digger to a trophy wife. And I've also heard people in the media mock her for saying she wants to end bullying because her husband is a bully, and they mock her because she isn't being as active of a First Lady as Michelle Obama was.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:22 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I've heard people call her everything from a whore to a gold digger to a trophy wife. And I've also heard people in the media mock her for saying she wants to end bullying because her husband is a bully, and they mock her because she isn't being as active of a First Lady as Michelle Obama was.

They don't "mock" her.

They just say not nice things about her.

Never seen her called a "whore" in the mainstream media. Don't know about "gold digger" (either whether they say it nor whether its deserved). She may just be a "gold jackpot winner who didn't set out to do any digging". But a fashion model who marries a decades older man who is twice divorced and is a tycoon is the definition of a "trophy wife". You cant ask folks to not describe her that way because...that's what she is. Not the worst thing in the world. But no other first lady in my lifetime was even close to being the definition of that.

And if you're so upset about it you should read the National Enguirer: on one of its covers in 2017 it lauded Melania because "she will bring back style to the White House", and described Michelle Obama as "that gorilla in high heels".

That last thing beats anything any media outlet has ever said about Melania.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:30 am

It's people I know who often call her a whore and a gold digger.

And maybe she is a trophy wife, but just because she's a trophy wife that doesn't mean she's a horrible person. Being a trophy wife is often synomonous with "gold digger", and judging a younger woman for marrying an older rich man feels wrong to me. Does it occur to anybody that she might actually love her husband and her family?

It's like in that episode of The Golden Girls when Blanche's eldelry father married a young woman and Blanche was quick to judge her as "a gold-digging hussy" but then later found out that they actually did love each other and the relationship wasn't the negative thing she imagined it to be.

It just bothers me how quick some people are to judge Melania when she really has not done anything wrong.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:49 am

Hmmmm….

In my life I don't see much talk about her, good, bad, or indifferent.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Hmmmm….

In my life I don't see much talk about her, good, bad, or indifferent.

I guess I'm judging it from my own personal experience. Maybe most people don't have a real opinion of her. :)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:01 am

When you marry someone who becomes president, you are going to be scrutinized. It comes with the territory and all First Ladies have experienced it to varying degrees. Melania probably had some idea of what she was getting into when Trump decided that he was going to run for office.

If she’s still married to him, people figure that she agrees with his policies at least to some extent. She’s one of the people in his campaign. After some of the things he’s done and the choices he’s made, I would’ve left him, especially when he kept children from their families. (I should add this to my Deal Breakers thread in L&D. :P )

I do find her stance on bullying ironic, but as a First Lady, she needs to have some causes that she supposedly believes in.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:07 am

Does it occur to anybody that she might actually love her husband and her family?

I’m sure that she loves her family.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:08 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
When you marry someone who becomes president, you are going to be scrutinized. It comes with the territory and all First Ladies have experienced it to varying degrees. Melania probably had some idea of what she was getting into when Trump decided that he was going to run for office.

If she’s still married to him, people figure that she agrees with his policies at least to some extent. She’s one of the people in his campaign. After some of the things he’s done and the choices he’s made, I would’ve left him, especially when he kept children from their families. (I should add this to my Deal Breakers thread in L&D. :P )

I do find her stance on bullying ironic, but as a First Lady, she needs to have some causes that she supposedly believes in.

One thing my mom told me that makes me wonder...

What if she's actually being abused by her husband behind closed doors? I mean for those of us who see Trump for what he really is, he is a pure narcissist. Narcissists are notorious for abusing their spouses.

*waits for the flaming MAGA trolls to come out of the shadows to defend him again*

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:15 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

What if she's actually being abused by her husband behind closed doors? I mean for those of us who see Trump for what he really is, he is a pure narcissist. Narcissists are notorious for abusing their spouses.

*waits for the flaming MAGA trolls to come out of the shadows to defend him again*

It’s possible, especially given his lack of empathy, penchant for name-calling, and history of sexual harassment.

If she were to come out with something like that, liberals would be overwhelming her with support. I’m envisioning it now...

It’s pure speculation, of course, but it doesn’t seem too far out of the realm of possibility.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:26 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Narcissists are notorious for abusing their spouses.

Indeed. Just look at Hillary.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:52 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

You really don't think that just because I hate Trump that means I'm a fan of Hillary, do you? Because if so I'm going to lose respect for you.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 11:00 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

It’s possible, especially given his lack of empathy, penchant for name-calling, and history of sexual harassment.

If she were to come out with something like that, liberals would be overwhelming her with support. I’m envisioning it now...

It’s pure speculation, of course, but it doesn’t seem too far out of the realm of possibility.

Not to mention his general misogynstic views towards women.

I think all we can really do is speculate about their marriage. I can't really judge Melania becuse she keeps her life kind of private, but Trump on the other hand has made it clear how he feels about women which raises a lot of red flags.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 11:49 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

You really don't think that just because I hate Trump that means I'm a fan of Hillary, do you? Because if so I'm going to lose respect for you.

By no means at all. I just think it's curious that speculations about spousal abuse can arise from basically nothing aside from "Trump is an egotistical ass", which, while true, certainly doesn't follow. Meanwhile, I've encountered vocal Hillary supporters who either have no clue whatsoever about her volatile temper or her quite well-attested to domestic violence OR immediately assume that anyone speaking ill of her is a right-wing lunatic who hates women.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 12:09 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

By no means at all. I just think it's curious that speculations about spousal abuse can arise from basically nothing aside from "Trump is an egotistical ass", which, while true, certainly doesn't follow. Meanwhile, I've encountered vocal Hillary supporters who either have no clue whatsoever about her volatile temper or her quite well-attested to domestic violence OR immediately assume that anyone speaking ill of her is a right-wing lunatic who hates women.

I've actually known a few women who were abusive of their husbands and boyfriends. One woman I knew actually moved a man who went to prison for raping a little girl into her house just to upset her husband after she kicked him out. She brought this guy around her kids as a way to torment him and rub it in his face.

:|