Page 5 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 9:46 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Why do people still practice magic? ...
Stupidity (The practice of willful ignorance) coupled with a need to feel "special".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 10:06 pm

At least in developed countries like the US we're not burning "stupid' innocent people alive at the stake for practicing "magic" like in the old days. Although that might change if Mike Pence were to ever replace Donald Trump as president...

I bet he would round up every wannabe witch, homosexual, and non-Christian in this country and have us all burned as heretics if he could. :|

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jun 2019, 6:06 am

He surely can't be that bad can he?

Is there any GoT character who bears similarities to Pence?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 6:11 am

envirozentinel wrote:
He surely can't be that bad can he?

Is there any GoT character who bears similarities to Pence?

Maybe The Red Lady Milesandre? Or that guy in charge of The High Sparrows? :chin:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:30 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Nobody commented on my Spongebob reference to King's Landing being burned to the ground... :cry:

I was going to comment but it included a spoiler so I didn't.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:37 am

SaveFerris wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Nobody commented on my Spongebob reference to King's Landing being burned to the ground... :cry:

I was going to comment but it included a spoiler so I didn't.

Oh ok. :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 7:42 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One of the things I've found quite interesting for a while is what kinds of 'no go' zones our culture has in terms of thought and discussion. A primary example is in this area as it relates to models of the universe and consciousness.

It's also because most of the population are largely ignorant and more interested in how their stomach or gonads are feeling than engaging in an activity that requires deep thought. But, yes, our culture tends to frown on esoteric discussion because in the past it was simply forbidden, The work of satan.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
example if we take the notion seriously that 'Matter is unconscious' and apply it to everything in the universe then we have to admit to ourselves that our five senses, our memories, every story we tell ourselves, are complete fabrications because we're not really here and we're not really experiencing anything - we just 'think' we are.

Are you talking about matter perceived by our senses. Our current scientific approach is to deem something to exist if it can be measured using sensory data. We use sensory mapping to speculate on gaps in our knowledge using basically an educated guess. For example changes in space can't be explained we attribute it to "dark matter".

We deem it impossible that life could only arise once in our entire universe yet scoff at the idea that other intelligent life could traverse the distance of time/space to pass by earth (as we ourselves prepare to do the very same thing).

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:51 am

Fnord wrote:
madbutnotmad wrote:
Why do people still practice magic? ...
Stupidity (The practice of willful ignorance) coupled with a need to feel "special".
why do people practice any religion,magick orientated religions are legitimate religions just like any other

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

Any dude who can change water into wine is going to be popular

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:12 am

I think Jesus was the most influental cult leader that ever existed.

Sorry but I calls them as I sees them. I would never call a religous person "stupid" though. :shrug:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

Jesus would be classed as a terrorist in today's world :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

I wish I could change water into wine.

What’s so wrong with the Bible? It only advocates killing off everyone who disagrees with you.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:20 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Jesus would be classed as a terrorist in today's world :twisted:

And we don't negotiate with terrorists. ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:21 am

Yep the cult Jesus belonged to (the Essenes) were terrorists according to the ROmans (referred to as Jewish extremists)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Masada

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
example if we take the notion seriously that 'Matter is unconscious' and apply it to everything in the universe then we have to admit to ourselves that our five senses, our memories, every story we tell ourselves, are complete fabrications because we're not really here and we're not really experiencing anything - we just 'think' we are.

Are you talking about matter perceived by our senses. Our current scientific approach is to deem something to exist if it can be measured using sensory data. We use sensory mapping to speculate on gaps in our knowledge using basically an educated guess. For example changes in space can't be explained we attribute it to "dark matter".

I was mostly striking out along the axis of the claims made and shooting down the internal consistency, as well as taking some well-aimed shots at why panpsychism is really just a palleative for reductive materialism rather than something that walks the implications out properly.

cyberdad wrote:
We deem it impossible that life could only arise once in our entire universe yet scoff at the idea that other intelligent life could traverse the distance of time/space to pass by earth (as we ourselves prepare to do the very same thing).

Oh I think that's pretty easy to understand. Not being perceived as 'weak' by our peers is much more important than being logically consistent. To be perceived as weak is letting your blood into the water around sharks.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 9:22 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I wish I could change water into wine.

What’s so wrong with the Bible? It only advocates killing off everyone who disagrees with you.

I think the mythical Jesus sounds like a friendly dude. The real Jesus would likely have treated gentiles with contempt.