Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 8:22 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Many have tried to compare Extinction Rebellion’s climate crusade with past movements for progressive change.

These comparisons are delusional, pretentious and insulting. But they unwittingly highlight something important. Whether it was the Chartists, the Suffragettes, the civil-rights movement, or the gay-rights movement, these genuinely progressive campaigns were all despised by the elite at the time. These were campaigns that sought to expand human freedom, to wrest rights and resources from the establishment. By contrast, environmentalist campaigns like Extinction Rebellion are, by their very nature, against freedom. They seek to place new limits on human activity: on industry, on economic growth, on our travel, on our diets, and on childbirth.

For many years, the great and the good have been in broad agreement that something must be done about climate change. But they also seem to agree that the bulk of the costs should not be shouldered by them. Only last week, celebrities, business leaders and politicians descended on Sicily for the 7th annual Google Camp, which this year was dedicated to tackling climate change. After arriving in their private jets, mega yachts and sports cars, delegates were treated to a lecture on climate change by Prince Harry, who delivered it in his bare feet. Earlier this year, 1,500 individual private jets flew to Davos. The highlight of the summit was a conversation between Prince William and Sir David Attenborough… on climate change.

The establishment only seems to care about ‘pollution’ when it is ordinary people doing the polluting. It is always cheap flights, cheap food and cheap fashion which cause the most consternation among environmentalists. In turn, climate change presents the establishment with an opportunity to manage the little people’s habits, tastes and aspirations.

Source: An establishment rebellion

STOP IT!
STOP IT!
STOP IT!

Too much intelligent rationality this early in the day!
My head is hurting. :mrgreen:

Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2019, 8:30 pm

Pepe wrote:
languagehopper wrote:
I envy them their energy and courage.

At least they are doing something instead of burying their heads in the sand pretending us innocent little humans couldn't possibly have such a large effect on the planet even though apparently some invisible man in the sky created us to be the masters and decide the fate of everything else on Earth. This unwillingness to accept responsibility and change comes from a failure to understand scale and unintended consequences and the complicated way systems work in equilibrium.

I wish I was brave enough to join them and get myself arrested in such a worthy cause.

Here in Australia, we have some dumb "Extinction Rebellion" members.
They are young virtual signallers who enjoy being on the news.
They super-glue their hands on the road to stop traffic.
Bugger the police and ambulance response teams.
One person couldn't reach his dying father before he passed away because of the: "Look at me, look at me" crowd.

We were all young and dumb once, seduced by our emotional needs of existential verification and societal relevance and recognition.
Well, most of "us".
Typical neurotypical youthful behaviour. <shrug>

One of the head guys over here lives at home with his rich/well-to-do mummy and daddy, obviously doesn't have a job and is possibly abusing his "new start" obligations.
I'm guessing he is interested in impressing the "chicky-babes" so he can get a lay like rock-star celebrities. <shrug>

Well, he might as well sow his wild oats while he can, since I think he believes all human life on the planet will go extinct in 12 years time. <chuckle>
I don't have this delusion, btw. :wink:

Well the establishment is not offering a lot of solutions to the climate crisis...so can you really blame people for being upset? I mean yeah a lot of young people are worried about climate change, younger you are more immature you are.

Also if nothing is done, we could very well start dying off in 12 years time perhaps we won't be entirely extinct by then but we will be having a much worse time as humanity...and the problem is plenty of government officials also prefer to chuckle than to take action. That is why all these immature kids are so frustrated.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 10:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Also if nothing is done, we could very well start dying off in 12 years time perhaps we won't be entirely extinct by then but we will be having a much worse time as humanity...and the problem is plenty of government officials also prefer to chuckle than to take action. That is why all these immature kids are so frustrated.

Quote:
There have been at least five major ice ages in the Earth's history (the Huronian, Cryogenian, Andean-Saharan, late Paleozoic, and the latest Quaternary Ice Age). Outside these ages, the Earth seems to have been ice free even in high latitudes.[34][35] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age#Major_ice_ages

Quote:
The Quaternary glaciation, also known as the Pleistocene glaciation, is an alternating series of glacial and interglacial periods during the Quaternary period that began 2.58 Ma (million years ago), and is ongoing.[1][2][3] Although geologists describe the entire time period as an "ice age", in popular culture the term "ice age" is usually associated with just the most recent glacial period.[4] Since earth still has ice sheets, geologists consider the Quaternary glaciation to be ongoing, with earth now experiencing an interglacial period.

During the Quaternary glaciation, ice sheets appeared. During glacial periods they expanded, and during interglacial periods they contracted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 11:24 pm

Pepe wrote:
languagehopper wrote:

At least they are doing something instead of burying their heads in the sand pretending us innocent little humans couldn't possibly have such a large effect on the planet even though apparently some invisible man in the sky created us to be the masters and decide the fate of everything else on Earth. This unwillingness to accept responsibility and change comes from a failure to understand scale and unintended consequences and the complicated way systems work in equilibrium.

I wish I was brave enough to join them and get myself arrested in such a worthy cause.

One person couldn't reach his dying father before he passed away because of the: "Look at me, look at me" crowd.

We were all young and dumb once, seduced by our emotional needs of existential verification and societal relevance and recognition.
Well, most of "us".

One of the head guys over here lives at home with his rich/well-to-do mummy and daddy, obviously doesn't have a job and is possibly abusing his "new start" obligations.
I'm guessing he is interested in impressing the "chicky-babes" so he can get a lay like rock-star celebrities. <shrug>

Well, he might as well sow his wild oats while he can, since I think he believes all human life on the planet will go extinct in 12 years time. <chuckle>

Regarding the:

Pepe wrote:

But missing one's father's death due to people trying to stop 4.2 million deaths a year world-wide from air pollution due exhaust fumes isn't as heartbreaking and breathtaking as not so doing:

Quote:
One in 10 child asthma cases 'linked to traffic pollution'

11 April 2019

Four million cases of childhood asthma could be caused by air pollution from traffic - around 13% of those diagnosed each year, a global study suggests.

Current pollution guidelines may need changing because most children developing asthma live in areas within recommended levels, the authors say.

South Korea has the highest burden of pollution-related asthma, along with Chinese cities, the study found.

Experts say urgent action to protect children is required.

The study, in The Lancet Planetary Health journal, by researchers from George Washington University, looked at levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as an indicator of traffic pollution.

NO2 is just one element of air pollution, which is also made up of particulate matter, ozone and carbon monoxide.

Together they are known to be harmful to health and particularly damaging to the airways and lungs, increasing the risk of asthma and other lung diseases.

Using population data, information on child asthma cases diagnosed by doctors and NO2 measurements from ground-level monitors and satellites, the researchers estimated the number of asthma cases related to traffic pollution in under-18s in 194 countries and 125 major cities.
How countries compare

The countries with the highest rates of childhood asthma cases linked to traffic pollution are:

Kuwait - 550 per 100,000
United Arab Emirates - 460 per 100,000
Canada - 450 per 100,000

The largest number of asthma cases attributable to traffic pollution are estimated to occur in:

China - 760,000 cases
India - 350,000
US - 240,000
Indonesia - 160,000
Brazil - 140,000

The countries with the highest percentage of pollution-related childhood asthma cases:

South Korea - 31%
Kuwait - 30%
Qatar - 30%
United Arab Emirates - 30%
Bahrain - 26%

The UK, China and the US were all on 19%, with India on 14%.

The true levels of pollution-related asthma may be higher in many low and middle-income countries, the study said, because asthma cases often go undiagnosed in these regions.

What are the effects of air pollution?
Air pollution tests for UK children
'Our children are gasping' - Senegal's toxic air battle

Lead study author Ploy Achakulwisut said: "Our study indicates that policy initiatives to alleviate traffic-related air pollution can lead to improvements in children's health and also reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

She pointed to London's ultra-low emission zone congestion charges and the electrification of Shenzhen's entire bus fleet as recent examples.

The World Health Organisation says asthma rates in children have been increasing sharply since the 1950s. It estimates that 4.2 million premature deaths around the world are linked to air pollution, from heart disease, stroke and respiratory infections in children.

WHO guidelines state that annual average NO2 concentrations should be 40ug/m3 (21 parts per billion).

Prof Rajen Naidoo, from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, said: "This strengthens the case for the downward revision of these global [pollution] standards and for stronger national policy initiatives in countries without air quality standards."

And he said the findings highlighted that there was an urgent need to protect the health of the most vulnerable in society - children.
'Breathe clean air'

Prof Jonathan Grigg, from Queen Mary University London, said other components of the pollution mix should be targeted, not just NO2, and the effects on adult asthma should also be studied.

But he said the study provided "further evidence that ultra-low emission zones, such as the one launched recently in London, must be of sufficient size to reduce exposure of all children living in these urban areas."

Dr Matthew Loxham, fellow in respiratory biology and air pollution toxicology in medicine at the University of Southampton, said it was "beyond doubt" that air pollution causes adverse health effects.

"The issue is how we generate the data to decide what the [WHO] guideline levels should be or - perhaps more fundamentally - get across the message that there is no appropriate guideline level," he said.

Dr Samantha Walker, director of policy and research at Asthma UK, said polluted air could be affecting an estimated half a million children with asthma in the UK.

"The government must commit to targets that reduce toxic air across the UK to the legal levels recommended by the World Health Organisation, so that future generations can breathe clean air," she said.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=8308402

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 2:35 am

ER trying to hold up the tube in London this morning

https://twitter.com/HollyJoCollins/status/1184713537232556032

At what point did they think Canning Town would be the place to do this?! ! :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:25 am

Deepthought 7 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
languagehopper wrote:

Well, most of "us".

Regarding the:

Pepe wrote:

But missing one's father's death due to people trying to stop 4.2 million deaths a year world-wide from air pollution due exhaust fumes isn't as heartbreaking and breathtaking as not so doing:

Quote:
One in 10 child asthma cases 'linked to traffic pollution'

11 April 2019

Four million cases of childhood asthma could be caused by air pollution from traffic - around 13% of those diagnosed each year, a global study suggests.

Current pollution guidelines may need changing because most children developing asthma live in areas within recommended levels, the authors say.

South Korea has the highest burden of pollution-related asthma, along with Chinese cities, the study found.

Experts say urgent action to protect children is required.

The study, in The Lancet Planetary Health journal, by researchers from George Washington University, looked at levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as an indicator of traffic pollution.

NO2 is just one element of air pollution, which is also made up of particulate matter, ozone and carbon monoxide.

Together they are known to be harmful to health and particularly damaging to the airways and lungs, increasing the risk of asthma and other lung diseases.

Using population data, information on child asthma cases diagnosed by doctors and NO2 measurements from ground-level monitors and satellites, the researchers estimated the number of asthma cases related to traffic pollution in under-18s in 194 countries and 125 major cities.
How countries compare

The countries with the highest rates of childhood asthma cases linked to traffic pollution are:

Kuwait - 550 per 100,000
United Arab Emirates - 460 per 100,000
Canada - 450 per 100,000

The largest number of asthma cases attributable to traffic pollution are estimated to occur in:

China - 760,000 cases
India - 350,000
US - 240,000
Indonesia - 160,000
Brazil - 140,000

The countries with the highest percentage of pollution-related childhood asthma cases:

South Korea - 31%
Kuwait - 30%
Qatar - 30%
United Arab Emirates - 30%
Bahrain - 26%

The UK, China and the US were all on 19%, with India on 14%.

The true levels of pollution-related asthma may be higher in many low and middle-income countries, the study said, because asthma cases often go undiagnosed in these regions.

What are the effects of air pollution?
Air pollution tests for UK children
'Our children are gasping' - Senegal's toxic air battle

Lead study author Ploy Achakulwisut said: "Our study indicates that policy initiatives to alleviate traffic-related air pollution can lead to improvements in children's health and also reduce greenhouse gas emissions."

She pointed to London's ultra-low emission zone congestion charges and the electrification of Shenzhen's entire bus fleet as recent examples.

The World Health Organisation says asthma rates in children have been increasing sharply since the 1950s. It estimates that 4.2 million premature deaths around the world are linked to air pollution, from heart disease, stroke and respiratory infections in children.

WHO guidelines state that annual average NO2 concentrations should be 40ug/m3 (21 parts per billion).

Prof Rajen Naidoo, from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, said: "This strengthens the case for the downward revision of these global [pollution] standards and for stronger national policy initiatives in countries without air quality standards."

And he said the findings highlighted that there was an urgent need to protect the health of the most vulnerable in society - children.
'Breathe clean air'

Prof Jonathan Grigg, from Queen Mary University London, said other components of the pollution mix should be targeted, not just NO2, and the effects on adult asthma should also be studied.

But he said the study provided "further evidence that ultra-low emission zones, such as the one launched recently in London, must be of sufficient size to reduce exposure of all children living in these urban areas."

Dr Matthew Loxham, fellow in respiratory biology and air pollution toxicology in medicine at the University of Southampton, said it was "beyond doubt" that air pollution causes adverse health effects.

"The issue is how we generate the data to decide what the [WHO] guideline levels should be or - perhaps more fundamentally - get across the message that there is no appropriate guideline level," he said.

Dr Samantha Walker, director of policy and research at Asthma UK, said polluted air could be affecting an estimated half a million children with asthma in the UK.

"The government must commit to targets that reduce toxic air across the UK to the legal levels recommended by the World Health Organisation, so that future generations can breathe clean air," she said.

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=8308402

Oh dear,
Another long post. <sigh>

Protesting is fine.
The way they do it is not.

I haven't come across anything/k that suggests the concerns XR have are about the information you have mentioned.
My understanding is that those alarmed by man's/woman's influence on climate change are predominately concerned with CO2 emission, I.E. plant food, rather than actual pollution.
If you have the energy and time, please supply a link to support the reason you included the information.
Please connect the information to XR's manifesto.

It isn't going to change my view of them.
Refer to the following:

Presumably, you have read my previously stated position regarding XR.
This is my opinion and I can't see myself changing it because:
-Their manifesto includes blatant nonsense about global extinction.
-They have no credibility in my eyes.
-They have engaged in unwarranted fear-mongering.
-They embrace misrepresentation/lies to serve their agenda.
-Some are obviously simply attention-seeking.
-Some are solid gold hypocrites.
-Most are young with little life experience.

In essence:
"They have been weighed,
They have been measured,
And they have been found wanting." 8)

Why should I waste my time with them if this is my genuine opinion?
I have better things to do with my time than take them seriously.
Mocking them,
Well, everyone needs a hobby. :mrgreen:

BTW, I am not a fan of debate.
I have an active dislike of "devil's advocacy".
I enjoy sharing information with the intention of mutual growth. :wink:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 4:38 am

Pepe wrote:

Well, most of "us".

Your endless political finger pointing and smug dismissal of different views aren't virtue signaling? Every post you have on this site screams, "Look at me." You have no humility.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 5:21 am

HighLlama wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Well, most of "us".

Your endless political finger pointing and smug dismissal of different views aren't virtue signaling? Every post you have on this site screams, "Look at me." You have no humility.

"Why are people so unkind."

https://youtu.be/znodcpMzcnA

I have an opinion.
If you don't like it, it is no skin off my nose. <shrug>
If you don't like what I post,
Why read it?
Rather odd, the way I see it. 8O

You do understand what "Virtue Signalling" is, right?
Quote:
an attempt to show other people that you are a good person, for example by expressing opinions that will be acceptable to them, especially on social media: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... signalling

Rather, I think you mean I am:
-Supercilious,
-Patronising,
-Arrogant,
-Condescending,

I hardly think my philosophies are appreciated by most people.
If anything, most would find my honesty disconcerting or even disagreeable, as you do. :wink:

As to "humility":
Quote:
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" https://www.icr.org/article/putting-awa ... sh-things/

I am so far away from wanting to impress other people, one way or another, it hurts. <wounded>

A wise man once said:
"I am what I am", said Popeye the sailor man.
Errm,
No, that wasn't it. :scratch:

He said:
"It is better to embrace who we are than pretend false modesty.
It is better to transcend the need to be appreciated.
It is better to ignore being judged.
For we are no more nor no less than we are.
Be honest with yourself,
And you will access the best that you are."

That wise man is me. 8)

"Hubris"?
Who said that! :evil:

Be careful, son.
Personal attacks are against WP roolz. 8)

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:00 am

Story on UK news this morning. Two protesters climbed on top of a commuter train in London and announced that the train was not going anyway. After twenty minutes a large and very ugly crowd dragged them off and started kicking the sh*t out of one of them. If other members of the crowd had not intervened, I truly believe they would have beaten him to death... no police to be seen.
No doubt the protester felt his human rights had been infringed... I feel it was Darwinism at work.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:05 am

Biscuitman put a link up to it this morning, above. I thought the protestors were bad for disrupting peoples' journeys like that, as that is their work and livelihood. I don't see how pissing people off will get them on their side. However, they shouldn't have been beaten up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 8:59 am

I would certainly be pissed off if my commute was disrupted by these sorts of hooligans----no matter what their views are on Climate Change.

I don't believe in "mob rule," though. They should have been held for the authorities, rather than beaten up.

Bustduster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2019, 6:52 am

I'm suspicious about the origins of that incident at Canning Town - I think those people could have been planted there deliberately in order to discredit Extinction Rebellion I the eyes of the public.

On a similar note, there was also a guest who appeared on "Good Morning Britain" dressed as broccoli who claimed to be from XR and was asked straight out by Piers Morgan if he was a plant (a joke which he didn't even appear to get!).

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 1:10 pm

That's true, though when I read their main apology message regarding the tube incident and apparently the DLR, it seemed kind of a non-apology.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:06 pm

Trueno wrote:
Story on UK news this morning. Two protesters climbed on top of a commuter train in London and announced that the train was not going anyway. After twenty minutes a large and very ugly crowd dragged them off and started kicking the sh*t out of one of them. If other members of the crowd had not intervened, I truly believe they would have beaten him to death... no police to be seen.
No doubt the protester felt his human rights had been infringed... I feel it was Darwinism at work.

I'm full of caffeine because I needed the energy to work physically.
I.E. High as a kite.
Keep this in mind.

I'm glad he got out of it alive,
But from a distance, it sounds funny.

There may be a silver lining here:
These fair weathered heroes/protestors might think twice about disrupting the lives of hard working people in the future. Meh. 8)

Bustduster wrote:
I'm suspicious about the origins of that incident at Canning Town - I think those people could have been planted there deliberately in order to discredit Extinction Rebellion I the eyes of the public.

On a similar note, there was also a guest who appeared on "Good Morning Britain" dressed as broccoli who claimed to be from XR and was asked straight out by Piers Morgan if he was a plant (a joke which he didn't even appear to get!).

It's possible.
A "False Flag Event".
But there are plenty of XR members who are capable of stupidity, based on what I have observed. <shrug>