Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:49 pm

Hey
I was thinking about the problems in this world.
And was thinking that a great deal of the problems in this world may very well be caused by inheritance.

Inheritance of billions in some cases, results in an unfair advantage in all areas of life.
And over many generations inevitably will cause an monopoly or oligopoly in the world.

Some thing that as time goes on, everything will end up being owned by just one family.
With no opportunity for change, as no one outside the family that owns everything (disney?)
will be able to open a business, as no businesses will be able to compete.

So. i thought that one solution would be to make it law that no one is allowed to inherit more than £1 million,
with any excess being returned to the state, for the make the world perfect fund.

and the money used to address all the major problems in the world. poverty, inequality, crime, drugs. etc.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 10:50 am

I can see your point but I think there might be arguments against it.
1.What if part of the inheritance is non-monetary like a mansion or a business or something like that? Would the government just take control of that?
2. Some people might donate some of the inheritance to charity and the government would take away from that.
3. Some might argue that it is unfair to take that much money from someone.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Aug 2019, 12:48 pm

The super rich will never go for it. They aren't really all that interested in philanthropy. Yes, it would be wonderful in an ideal world for such mansions to be used as homes for the homeless or disabled, and there would certainly be enough for solving the problems of the world such as poverty and also providing funds for alternatives to fossil fuel, and for developing space travel to make it truly worthwhile.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/