Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2019, 12:28 pm

I've been looking forward to this vlog / podcast. No octonians yet (at least half way into the inverview) but I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of conversations can come of this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 5:53 am

I almost posted this under your Human Value Videos thread but saw this separate thread topic.

I learned of this initially when Eric announced his new podcast on The Joe Rogan Experience. He uses the idea of The Portal for a broad metaphor of next level human experience referencing Portal themed stories such as going through the rabbit hole, looking glass, or arriving in Technicolor OZ.

It reminds me a little of what Neil deGrasse Tyson trying to be a kind of ambassador of Astrophysics or science in general. I think Eric is trying to bring people to kinds of science that are more accessible since while Tyson is great to listen to, his whole domain is the outer cosmos far from daily life.

It also seems like Eric wants to probe the arts to some degree. As a person interested in Portals, I wonder if he could ever interview someone like David Lynch as I feel that is a strong part of many of his films artistically.

I have a driving job so I listened to the Peter Thiel episode on audio. I'm really enjoying it so far.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 6:42 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
It also seems like Eric wants to probe the arts to some degree. As a person interested in Portals, I wonder if he could ever interview someone like David Lynch as I feel that is a strong part of many of his films artistically.

I'd actually love to see Rebel Wisdom interview David Lynch. They said they've wanted to get artists on there and mentioned it on one of the podcasts, I ended up recommending that they try to get a hold of Goldie (music, graffiti, cultural critique and commentary - he does it all) and it looks like from the tagging of that suggestion that at least one of them thought similarly.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 8:13 am

Eric also seems concerned with how we deal with and develop ideas or try to solves problems. The approach seems to be rigid and linear.

A good possible guest who likes to explore how ideas develop in unexpected ways might be James Burke.

Iain Mcgilchrist from your other thread would also be a great potential guest commenting on how we do benefit from sort of laser pin point precision in studying the world, we've also lost the value of trying to see a wider context.

As for Portal topics, I would be interested in hearing Eric's thoughts on Virtual Reality.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 10:37 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
As for Portal topics, I would be interested in hearing Eric's thoughts on Virtual Reality.

On a side note - I have some personal hope that if they're able to get augmented reality to where it doesn't make people feel sick after too much time they may be able to virtualize a lot of things that we typically have hard versions of, like screens for example. There could probably be other uses as well but the goal would be more 'stuff' with less waste and environmental impact.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 10:40 pm

There was an episode #3 (not sure where #2 went) with Warner Herzog, it was a trip in some respects and I got a laugh out of him getting shot by a sniper during an interview and insisting that they finish the interview before taking him to the hospital but it was more Arts and Writing content than PPR.

This one's back to politics, media, and the effect preference falsification is having on the current landscape:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 2:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 6:57 am