Looking for Mr T: the politicisation of testosterone

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 7:51 am

Quote:
Alt-right activists believe low testosterone is resulting in a crisis of masculinity. But is ‘low-T’ really to blame for making men ‘soft’ – or is the politicisation of the hormone more sinister?

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019 ... asuclinity

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Jul 2019, 5:03 pm

A very entertaining read, thank you for posting.

Must admit that I thought "low T" was a bit of a dated insult (sort of thing you'd see thrown around in 2016) but it's rather worrying to see Republican lawmakers using it against their own!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 5:51 pm

It’s a variation on the old “eugenics” thing.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 6:53 pm

I think that the alt right just using the low t as yet another way of bullying people into making them think their behaviour is acceptable.

Alt Right: "the reason why your acting like a girl (and being kind and not a bigot) is because your testosterone is low".

Perhaps the manufacturers of testosterone lowering ads can promote ads that tells people "Don't be a red neck bigot sociopath, get your testosterone levels reduced today!"

Out of interest, I was diagnosed at the age of 36 as having clinically significant low testosterone. Just for the record i do not have breasts. The Testosterone Replacement Therapy i am on tops my testosterone level up to a normal optimal level but does not boost my level above range.

I have to say however, having had low testosterone for a period of my life, that the testosterone replacement therapy has significantly improved my life.

Before being given the testosterone replacement therapy, i slept for 20 hours a day, I suffered from depression as well as chronic irritability, as well as cognitive confusion / brain fuzz. I lost my libido entirely, i seldom got early morning hardness. had some problems with sex. I put on weight. I was also extremely tired for the remainder of the 4 hours that i was awake.

I was in short, pretty much a zombie.

When i started to take Testosterone, i perked up a great deal, most the symptoms went to a certain extent.
And i was able to function better. I didn't need to sleep 20 hours a day. I wasn't tired all the time, a certain amount of my cognitive confusion cleared up, i got a fair amount of the libido back. I was able to be more active and lose weight.
I wasn't constantly irritated or fatigued. (although still some sensory problems caused by autism spectrum disorder, at this time un-diagnosed).

With regards to my mental state, my personality didn't change significantly during either the clinically low or the boosted optimum high level. Before my testosterone went low, when i was growing up I was a karate fanatic, and enjoyed a particularly good period of training when my mid teen testosterone level peaked at super high levels (this is normal for kids going through puberty), which boosted my performance to a super level... faster than a bullet...

Then it slowly dropped, and broke. Which kind of happened after two ops on my throat due to a cancer scare in my late 20s. And from that period onwards it slowly dropped. Until i was eventually diagnosed with low t.

In terms of personality, perception and my values. I do not think that the testosterone level has had a significant impact on these. Some of my opinions have changed over the years, which I believe is greatly due to maturity.
For example. When i was 17, i was a little homophobic. due to having such values ingrained in me from school, but mostly due to immaturity, bullying and teasing. At that point i hadn't even consciously met any homosexuals.

Later on, after having a girl friend who's wealthy uncles were homosexual, i met a few who i found to be very respectful, reasonable and decent. Over the years, i also have worked in various jobs and have worked with homosexuals, who i generally find very entertaining, sensitive, respectful and often very funny.

Now that my testosterone level has been elevated back to optimum level. I do not suddenly hate homosexuals again.

I think that the only aspect of my behaviour that has been enhanced by the testosterone boost is that my libido is much more healthier than before the treatment. I now find it hard not to notice attractive woman and find it hard not to think about having sex with them. This is most definitely hormone related.

That is all. Whether wanting to have sex more makes me more manly, i wouldn't say so.
Having autism spectrum disorder still makes finding partners hard.

I am not and never will be alt right. In fact, after having experiences with various prominent people from political parties, i think that it would be wise not to get involved in any party. As in my experience, none of the political parties hold true to the moral values and ethics that they promote.

I continue to consider myself a humanitarian, and idealist spiritual evolutionist, who hopes that the world grows up from their petty materialism, so we can learn to make the best out of this beautiful but troubled world.