Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 12:53 pm

This is a pretty bad move by Trump, to associate mental illness with being a monster by using them in a sentence like this. And the main issue isn't even mental illness:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-paso-da ... l-illness/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:01 pm

The belief in "Mentally-Ill Monsters" goes back much further than the Trump Era. There was a time in America when anyone with a simple "Neurosis" was sent away and kept locked up until they were "cured" (if ever). There were many different neuroses: obsessive–compulsive disorder, obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, impulse control disorder, anxiety disorder, hysteria, and a great variety of phobias.

According to C. George Boeree, professor emeritus at Shippensburg University, the symptoms of neurosis may involve:

• Anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, et cetera.

• Behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, et cetera.

• Cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, et cetera.

Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, et cetera.

The term is no longer used by the professional psychiatric community in the United States, having been eliminated from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in 1980 with the publication of DSM III.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:16 pm

Something that stood out to me from the article:

Quote:
You're not more likely to commit violence if you're mentally ill. You're actually less likely to commit violence if you have a mental illness.

Same individual:
Quote:
You do find mental health concerns, certainly, in the vast majority of mass shooters,

For both of these to be true, then mental illness plays a role in mass shooting but not routine violence.

Certainly access to guns increases the rate of gun violence. That's a water is wet level analysis. I've yet to see evidence that access to guns increases the rate of violence.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:38 pm

I think the shooters made irrational decisions.

It seems like a huge leap to say, irrational = mental illness.

(maybe that's how their brain works ... maybe they have sub-optimal conflict resolution algorithms)

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 07 Aug 2019, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

(maybe that's how their brain works .. it's has sub-optimal problem resolution algorithms)

Somewhere between irrationality and a full-blown mental illness is where the truth lies, I suspect.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 1:53 pm

These mass killers are mentally ill and they are monsters. The thing that links all acts like this, including those done by Jihadists is drugs.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:00 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
These mass killers are mentally ill and they are monsters. The thing that links all acts like this, including those done by Jihadists is drugs.

Why are they "mentally ill" vs just being irrational? They appear to have no prior diagnosis.

One shooter wrote a clear manifesto blaming the "MEXICAN Invasion" for his thought out plans.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 2:31 pm

Research shows that severe mental illness alone isn't a major factor when it comes to acts of violence , but severe mental illness + substance abuse are.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:12 pm

Why don’t you care when left blames mental illness and says it’s aspies?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:28 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

(maybe that's how their brain works .. it's has sub-optimal problem resolution algorithms)

Somewhere between irrationality and a full-blown mental illness is where the truth lies, I suspect.

Somewhere between attraction, and insanity, lies obsession....by Calvin Klein!

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:32 pm

They are "mentally ill monsters," in the sense that they are not well in the head, and that they behave in a monstrous way.

Fun fact: a "monster" was originally someone suffering from a physical deformity. This usage has been obsolete for years. I still don't see a problem with Trump's saying so. It's the left saying "Aspies kill peepul, aah!" that surprises me. I thought people with that much empathy would not be violent.

A "MEXICAN Invasion" is hyperbole. We have a strong South and Central American influence from legal and criminal migration. It is not an invasion, except in the cases of organized caravans and groups, which could better be described as the worst road trips ever.

My tuppence adjusted for inflation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 6:36 pm

sly279 wrote:

""the Left"????

Everyone in NT media (right left center and apolitical) dumps on aspies for some shootings.

And aspies (right, left, center, and apolitical) on sites like this get upset about that fact.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm

I am going to say something that is probably considered out of date and especially grievous on Wrong Planet a site where most of us have been unfairly morally judged due to misinterpretation of autistic traits. There are bad and evil people in this world. Not 100 percent bad everybody has good points but overall bad. You murder a bunch innocent people you have never met, have no idea if they agree with your cause you are probably an evil person.

With that said Trump is wrong. While people who do that are "sick in the head" be it they literally don't know what they are doing (exceptions to my evil statement) or know exactly what they are doing study after study shows most mental illnesses do not cause people to mass murder innocent people. While autism is not a mental illness the rush to blame mental illness is potentially quite dangerous for us because Autism is considered a mental illnesses. Fear and panic leads to bad decisions and quick fixes in the name of doing something.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 9:42 pm

I think they should all be exclusively referred to as 'homicidal' or similar.

Statistically someone having mental a illness or disorder does not result in them being a mass murderer.

It seems pointless to me to attribute any mental illness or disorder any shooter has, to them committing mass murder since virtually every person who has had such a condition has not planned out and systematically gunned down a bunch of people.

Going by Wikipedia there have been 25 mass shootings in the US since 1949.

1984 (2)

2009 (3)

2012 (2)
2017 (2)
2018 (4)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 12:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
sly279 wrote:

""the Left"????

Everyone in NT media (right left center and apolitical) dumps on aspies for some shootings.

And aspies (right, left, center, and apolitical) on sites like this get upset about that fact.

No one gave a s**t here when Obama(their chosen one) sought to attack disabled people on social security. It’s quite frustrating. Not like trumps signing a excctive order or anything in fact it was trump who saved us from Obama’s order.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 1:13 am

To be fair, not all mental illness is created equal, and there have been instances where better detection and care for people reporting mental issues might well have prevented a mass shoting. Charles Whitman sought medical help for periods of overwhelming rage and intrusive thoughts about killing people well before he climbed his clock tower, and his autopsy eventually revealed that he had a cancerous adrenaline-secreting tumour in his brain. Now, the reports aren't willing to say with certainty that the cancer was the cause of his actions, but I can't imagine it helped.