Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

I don't know if anyone on the forum has heard of Sri Aurobindo.
Sri Aurobindo was a remarkable man, who accomplished many things in his life.

In his early life, Sri Aurobindo was a freedom fighter who fought for the Independence of India along the likes of Mahatma Ghandi.

As time went on, Sri Aurobindo became to be known as a leader, a poet and scholar of Indian philosophy, religion and culture. He published a number of books and was an influence on the Theosophical society.

He also established a number of Ashrams in India. Later, after his death, his vision of a life divine on earth was furthered by his man follower and companion, who became known as "the mother" who started a big community on a large piece of land not far from an City in Indian called Pondicherry.

This community became known as Auroville, and is a collection of communities / peoples from around the world who have settled with the idea of trying to realise Sri Aurobindo's vision, for human beings from all countries to live in peace and harmony together without politics, religion or philosophy getting in the way.

He called his idea of living a divine life he referred to as Integral Yoga. Yoga applied to all of your life.
Like the concept of Zen. Cultivating and apply compassion and love to all of your life.

Auroville is the place for people who are interested in such a concept.
I have been myself several years ago, and found it a very interesting place which offered a great deal to its inhabitants and visitors especially those who are like minded.

They have a fairly cheap cost of living (being in India) but also a fair amount of self sufficiency. Employing sustainable energies, their own export industry and growing their own food.

Anyway way, if this is something that interests you. I think that you may find a visit there interesting.
The city of Pondicherry is also really interesting and has a fair amount of history.

Pondicherry also has normal restaurants that sell good food, cheap beer.
It also is home to one of the best French Bakers their side of the equator.
Really authentic french baker and patisserie produce.

Really quiet refreshing if you miss western cuisine so far from home.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 5:14 pm

I took out one of his books from the philosophy department of my university library a few years ago, a horrible, mildewed volume last removed in the 1970s. I still can't remember the title, but it wasn't as much of a revelation for me as I had hoped. The theosophical movement came and went, being pretty much unheard of since the 70s or so. It never really appealed to me, even when I was going through my mysticism phase. They actually believed Jiddu Krishnamurti was the Messiah - another man nobody today has heard of.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 7:57 pm

Never heard of him.

This is off topic but Pondicherry was a French colony. And little fly speck on the coast of British ruled India j that was ruled by France. And that's why there is so much French influence there. The Life of Pi had cameo shot of parts of the city that look ljust like France.