Is White Nationalism and white Supremacism the same

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 9:23 pm

I recently read that President Trump and his original political (and military) Strategist Steve Bannon,
classified themselves as White Nationalists.

I have read in some places that White Nationalism is a subset of White Supremacism.
Is that true?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 9:41 pm

White nationalism is basically the belief that white people should stay separate from other races. White supremacism is the belief that white people are superior to other races.

They do have a tendency to overlap each other.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 9:52 pm

Interesting, thank you for your info.
I wonder if these white nationalists ever had a genetic test done.
To see what their genetics are made of.

Personally, i have no problem with mixed race (if it is still called that).
I think that as long as their is love between the two and they find themselves compatible.
What more could a couple ask for, regardless as to what genetics a person carries.

I see only sentient being, no race, no colour, no discrimination.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 4:51 am

Hitler was a poor example of an “Aryan.”

It would be interesting to find out the genetic makeup of “white nationalists.”

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 11:10 am

nationalism is pride in ones race or nationality,not always racist but often racist.

white supremacy is inherently racist and always racist

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:42 am

One could be a black United States nationalist who believes in isolationism and tariffs.

But it would be incorrect to call the person a “black nationalist.”

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2019, 11:56 am

I definitely don't think either Trump or Bannon have self-identified as white nationalists.

They may have identified as nationalists.

Nationalism is just devotion to a 'nation'.

Different people identify with different 'nations'.

White Nationalists identify people of European descent (and there is wide variety of definitions as to who can be said to be of European descent among them) as their nation.

Civic Nationalists identify with their country as their nation. This is almost certainly how Trump and Bannon identify, and I would wager most people in politics identify in this way.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm

TheOther wrote:
I definitely don't think either Trump or Bannon have self-identified as white nationalists.

White Nationalists identify people of European descent (and there is wide variety of definitions as to who can be said to be of European descent among them) as their nation.

Civic Nationalists identify with their country as their nation. This is almost certainly how Trump and Bannon identify, and I would wager most people in politics identify in this way.

I would personally call Bannon a white nationalist, and probably Trump, too. They just shy away from the designation because most people know it to be an ugly, racist ideology.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 1:23 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
White nationalism is basically the belief that white people should stay separate from other races. White supremacism is the belief that white people are superior to other races.

They do have a tendency to overlap each other.

That's if you naively take the two labels at face value. But we all know that "White Nationalists" are just "White Supremacists" who are just hiding behind a nicer sounding label for themselves. For practical purposes the two terms mean the same thing.

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2019, 10:26 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

I would personally call Bannon a white nationalist, and probably Trump, too. They just shy away from the designation because most people know it to be an ugly, racist ideology.

I was mostly referencing the OP, in that he claims that they have "classified themselves as White Nationalists", which I highly doubt.

I do think that Trump and especially Bannon are racist by todays standard, though in large part I think that is unconscious to them. Keep in mind that they're old as hell, and their views today probably reflect the 'norm' from their formative years 50-60 years ago. They would deny being a racist, because in their day, being racist meant being in form of something like segregation.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 4:03 pm

TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

I was mostly referencing the OP, in that he claims that they have "classified themselves as White Nationalists", which I highly doubt.

I do think that Trump and especially Bannon are racist by todays standard, though in large part I think that is unconscious to them. Keep in mind that they're old as hell, and their views today probably reflect the 'norm' from their formative years 50-60 years ago. They would deny being a racist, because in their day, being racist meant being in form of something like segregation.

But there are also plenty of older people who who know better, and so I'm not giving Trump and Bannon a pass.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 6:02 pm

TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

The way it works for some is that it how a person identifies themselves is overruled by how they choose to identify that person.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 9:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

The way it works for some is that it how a person identifies themselves is overruled by how they choose to identify that person.

Are you seriously trying to say Trump's and Bannon's pronouncements aren't racist???

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2019, 7:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

But there are also plenty of older people who who know better, and so I'm not giving Trump and Bannon a pass.

They're certainly racist, in the sense that they seem to make negative assumptions about people based on their ancestral origin.

I think being a racist white person is different than a white nationalist, though. For example, there are a lot of stand up comics from as recently as the 90s-00s who held mildly racist views (tropes like Asians are always good at math, black people all dress ling gang bangers, etc), but none of them would say that white people should make their own nation-state and exclude everyone else (which is what white nationalism means to me; the desire for a 'white nation').

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm

TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheOther wrote:

They're certainly racist, in the sense that they seem to make negative assumptions about people based on their ancestral origin.

I think being a racist white person is different than a white nationalist, though. For example, there are a lot of stand up comics from as recently as the 90s-00s who held mildly racist views (tropes like Asians are always good at math, black people all dress ling gang bangers, etc), but none of them would say that white people should make their own nation-state and exclude everyone else (which is what white nationalism means to me; the desire for a 'white nation').

Bannon has been meeting with the European populist right, saying very white nationalist things. Then there's his protege, Stephen Miller, still in the White House and orchestrating the most vile policies, not only against illegal immigrants but also legal immigrants, as well as those serving in our military and their children.