Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2019, 7:10 pm

I'm getting more and more scared of the increasing psychoses of societies. The amount of sadistic comments just online is unbelievable, and if any one of these... just one insane as*hole is all that is needed to think their holy grail is to end me or something... then there is no playing, is there? An axe straight through their skull would be the ideal result (unless they have a projectile, of course, but then I have the advantage of a corner)... but then what? I observe countries falling to insanity one by one, where the instigator is usually rewarded, and the victim, in one batshit case a woman who's had her baby killed, is the one who's prosecuted... how can anyone live in this psychotic world? Is this what it was like for dinosaurs just before they went extinct? Did Rome collectively lose its marbles before its collapse?

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 9:45 pm

For self preservation, I recommend to stay away from the busy areas and areas that are notorious for trouble.

Although, i have to say that a great deal of acts of violence are now becoming very randomised.
Like the counter part to random acts of kindness.

Think that many of the acts of violence are being committed by people who are experiencing psychosis due to too much stress, although some of these may be experiencing drug induced psychosis, and others may simply have a violent outlook.

Some of the acts of violence are committed by terrorist or people who are pseudo terrorists.
For example. Neo Nazi's, Islamic Fundamentalists, black occultists. Black Neo Pagans.

There are also some who are simply psychotics who have become psychotic from self isolation, although i would say these are rare.

With regards to worrying about such people. I would say that it would be more productive just to try and stay aware of your surroundings. as if you are aware, it is possible (but not always) possible to avoid these problems.

If possible, try and relocate to a low sensory area away from too many people.
As such low sensory areas are often more low tempo, easier to deal with, less stressful and populated by people who are less wired.

Otherwise, i recommend taking up a self defence based martial art, such as Krav Maga, Self Defence Gracie Jiu Jitsu (not exactly the same as sport Jiu Jitsu) or something similar. Most popular martial arts will give you some defence against such attackers. with some being better than others.

I personally favour a martial art that has a balance of striking arts (punch, kicks, etc) with throwing/grappling (Judo throws) with some techniques on the floor too (ground fighting). Ideally with weapon disarm techniques as well.

As this would give you a good all rounder set of skills. Not necessary to be world champ level at all things
just a good enough level to beat any unskilled people who attack you.

If they are skilled, then do your best to avoid.
as trying to beat up someone who is super skilled, who is more skilled than you will be a disaster.
Yep, martial arts generally improve your chances, but within reason. Martial Arts don't make you bullet proof
or knife proof.

Always approach with caution!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:49 am

I tend to think that I would if nothing else worked, but if the situation really called for it, I'm not sure if I could do it... to a fellow human, that is. If I was attacked by an animal and had no way to escape but would be able to kill it, then yes, I'm very convinced that I could do it.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 2:20 pm

I value my life very little, I highly doubt I have enough survival instinct left to even put up much of a fight. Over a decade of depression and being on-and-off suicidal have really messed that up for me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:23 pm

Personally, i think that we should all have the right to self defence.
In the US, I believe the law is different to the UK.
The UK legal system, especially for people who do not have money is tricky.

For example, in the UK, murder is murder no matter what.

Last year there was a controversial case when an OAP killed a man who had broken into his house
to rob him armed with a knife.

Apparently the OAP defended himself and was able to disarm the man and use the weapon against him.
The police automatically charged him with murder, no matter the difficult circumstances.
And it was only because the case became a high profile case in the public eye, that the verdict was overturned.

And the verdict was also only likely turned around because the old guy was an OAP.
In the UK, people do not automatically have the right to kill anyone who enters their home.
and in the street, it is even harder to proclaim innocence.

I know, as a number of years ago, shortly after my brother died. I was stalked by a group of petty criminals, who my ex-wife, shortly after she assaulted me (after I have found evidence of her infidelity on her phone), had incited the thugs to stalk me (telling them all sorts of slander in order to stir up trouble, so as to put the scent off her own disgrace).

I went to the police and asked how the law stood, with regards to what i could do by law in terms of defending myself.
The police told me to simply ring them (like they even answer my calls, or requests).
They also explained that if you can walk or run away from the situation, then there is no excuse to fight.
Unless you have a legitimate reason. For example. unable to out run your attackers.

Personally, i have considered their great advice and think that if it came to it, i may have to use lethal force if given no other option, especially if facing more than one opponent, or worse still, if facing more than one skilled opponent.

In which cases, if you are unable to run and feel that your life is under threat, then by law i believe you will have grounds to use "reasonable force". What level of force is reasonable will depend on the situation, for example. what level your attackers are and what level you are.

I would consider the following flow logic.

Stage 1. Is your life in danger? No, no problem. do nothing. Yes. go to stage 2.
Stage 2. Can you out run or escape? Yes. no problem. do a runner and escape. No. move to stage 3.
Stage 3. Can you beat these guys with min force due to superior skill? yes, then do so, if the answer is no. then go to stage 4.
Stage 4. Can you beat these guys with min amount of lethal force? Yes. Good, then do so. No, then go to stage 5.
Stage 5. Can you beat these guys with max lethal force? Yes. good. do so. Go home. No. Do not go home, do not collect $200.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:34 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Personally, i think that we should all have the right to self defence.
In the US, I believe the law is different to the UK.
The UK legal system, especially for people who do not have money is tricky.

For example, in the UK, murder is murder no matter what.

Last year there was a controversial case when an OAP killed a man who had broken into his house
to rob him armed with a knife.

Apparently the OAP defended himself and was able to disarm the man and use the weapon against him.
The police automatically charged him with murder, no matter the difficult circumstances.
And it was only because the case became a high profile case in the public eye, that the verdict was overturned.

And the verdict was also only likely turned around because the old guy was an OAP.
In the UK, people do not automatically have the right to kill anyone who enters their home.
and in the street, it is even harder to proclaim innocence.

I know, as a number of years ago, shortly after my brother died. I was stalked by a group of petty criminals, who my ex-wife, shortly after she assaulted me (after I have found evidence of her infidelity on her phone), had incited the thugs to stalk me (telling them all sorts of slander in order to stir up trouble, so as to put the scent off her own disgrace).

I went to the police and asked how the law stood, with regards to what i could do by law in terms of defending myself.
The police told me to simply ring them (like they even answer my calls, or requests).
They also explained that if you can walk or run away from the situation, then there is no excuse to fight.
Unless you have a legitimate reason. For example. unable to out run your attackers.

Personally, i have considered their great advice and think that if it came to it, i may have to use lethal force if given no other option, especially if facing more than one opponent, or worse still, if facing more than one skilled opponent.

In which cases, if you are unable to run and feel that your life is under threat, then by law i believe you will have grounds to use "reasonable force". What level of force is reasonable will depend on the situation, for example. what level your attackers are and what level you are.

I would consider the following flow logic.

Stage 1. Is your life in danger? No, no problem. do nothing. Yes. go to stage 2.
Stage 2. Can you out run or escape? Yes. no problem. do a runner and escape. No. move to stage 3.
Stage 3. Can you beat these guys with min force due to superior skill? yes, then do so, if the answer is no. then go to stage 4.
Stage 4. Can you beat these guys with min amount of lethal force? Yes. Good, then do so. No, then go to stage 5.
Stage 5. Can you beat these guys with max lethal force? Yes. good. do so. Go home. No. Do not go home, do not collect $200.

What is the difference between min lethal force and Max lethal force? Unless min lethal means a baseball bat and Max lethal force means a howitzer, I can't see the difference and I don't own a howitzer. Otherwise, lethal force in any case means a body count.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:48 pm

He he , try to kill a burglar in Norway and youd be the one going to jail :|

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 5:39 pm

collectoritis wrote:

Try to hit a burglar/attacker or resist them in any way anywhere in Scandinavia and you'll go to jail. I have a good friend who didn't report an attempted rape because she managed to (hopefully) break the attacker's kneecap and ran . She had a broken arm and a concussion herself and was still afraid she would be the one to get in trouble :roll:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:28 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
collectoritis wrote:

Try to hit a burglar/attacker or resist them in any way anywhere in Scandinavia and you'll go to jail. I have a good friend who didn't report an attempted rape because she managed to (hopefully) break the attacker's kneecap and ran . She had a broken arm and a concussion herself and was still afraid she would be the one to get in trouble :roll:

Yup, same here in Finland. This is one of the few things that comes to mind that are better in the USA.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 2:22 pm

It would depend on the context of the situation that could allow or not allow killing someone in self-defense.

An example here in the US would be a situation where a victim must believe in a reasonable manner that the perp (or perps) had an intention to commit a crime but a result may be the physical injury of an innocent person.

Homicides performed as a means to carry out revenge or as a means to find a felon on-the-run cannot be considered justifiable self-defense in part because there is no duty for the victim to retreat.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

If I understand UK law on this, you can use "reasonable force" to defend yourself against an attacker, whatever that means. If somebody is clearly, actively and directly engaged in trying to kill you, it's legal to do to them whatever it takes to stop them. If somebody has just broken into your home and comes towards you in a menacing way, you'd probably be within your legal rights to go pretty ballistic in order to neutralise the threat. But if they retreat or stop threatening you, it's probably wise to cease fire.

Plus of course whatever the law says, if you're sure they're about to kill you, it's probably better to kill them if you can, and risk being jailed for it, than let them kill you. Unless you believe you'll have an afterlife in heaven.

I guess in practice these things happen very suddenly and unexpectedly, and you probably wouldn't get much time to think it through.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:53 pm

TBH I could see myself dealing with force alternation but I've noticed even if and when people seem to hate my guts, like when the work place seems like at troop of apes that want to bounce anything or anyone out the door on their head who doesn't socially conform perfectly, they'll try to inflict every last bit of it socially, with body-language, ignoring, that sort of thing.

In my own case the guys I know with know I've got over a decade of FMA, they're also gun nuts so the stakes are likely too high for them to want to bother. i could see maybe if per some really unfortunate turn of luck my boss put me in a position to either succeed at my work and embarrass one of them or fail that could end up with my tires getting slashed, sugar in the gas tank, or whatever else, but I'd add as well - the one thing about range flies is they're so used to handling guns in the context of sending them down a lane toward paper targets that their brains have a pretty strong habitual partition between shooting a target and shooting a person, ie. they'd have to suck up as much courage as anyone else.

My big horror realization over the past several years, parallel with the OP, is that for being a guy who doesn't fit in - I was hoping that just saying that I had no right to procreate was enough. Clearly it's not, I also apparently need by that logic to be either homeless or dead but in either case not living, working, or breathing in the presence of people who think this way. It makes me worry just how much antisocial and/or sociopathic s**t is going to fly if society breaks down enough for law enforcement to lose control, my guess is it would go right back to old times where the first people they'd need to get rid of were those they couldn't make sense of.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2019, 11:40 pm

When anyone claims they couldn't kill to defend themselves, I have a hard time buying it. How could you not value your own life over some thug who wanted to do you harm.

I could understand be paralyzed with fear, but not choose to remain inactive when threatened.

I would defend my life and those of loved ones if push came to shove. Hopefully had a weapon them, cause I'm not much of a fighter!

Fireblossom wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
collectoritis wrote:

Yup, same here in Finland. This is one of the few things that comes to mind that are better in the USA.

Yeah, that is true. It's insane the way the justice system deals with self defense here in Scandinavia

Quote:
I tend to think that I would if nothing else worked, but if the situation really called for it, I'm not sure if I could do it... to a fellow human, that is. If I was attacked by an animal and had no way to escape but would be able to kill it, then yes, I'm very convinced that I could do it.
opposite for me. I like animals and would hate to be forced to kill one even in self defense. Prolly could if had to, but would be sad, as animals aren't bad for attacking, they're either hungry or sick, not their fault.
A person who chose to go after me unprovoked and try to harm me, I would have no pity for at all. They would be bad seeds who wanted to harm me for no reason

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 12:27 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
If I understand UK law on this, you can use "reasonable force" to defend yourself against an attacker, whatever that means. If somebody is clearly, actively and directly engaged in trying to kill you, it's legal to do to them whatever it takes to stop them. If somebody has just broken into your home and comes towards you in a menacing way, you'd probably be within your legal rights to go pretty ballistic in order to neutralise the threat. But if they retreat or stop threatening you, it's probably wise to cease fire.

Plus of course whatever the law says, if you're sure they're about to kill you, it's probably better to kill them if you can, and risk being jailed for it, than let them kill you. Unless you believe you'll have an afterlife in heaven.

I guess in practice these things happen very suddenly and unexpectedly, and you probably wouldn't get much time to think it through.

Where I live, if someone breaks into your home, it is open hunting season. If someone tries armed robbery, ditto. I see nothing wrong with that, if someone elects to do violent crime, they pretty much live by the sword / die by the sword. That is one reason not to live by the sword and one that most folk will understand, even if they don't get the ethics part.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 4:05 pm

Assuming this is a human, yes I would kill in self defense if I couldn't find another way to resolve it

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia