Male rage and the words men use to describe Greta Thunberg

Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 4:38 am

Had to slightly change title to make it fit.

Quote:
Detractors have dismissed Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg - a Nobel Prize nominee - as mentally ill, hysterical and a millennial weirdo after she pleaded with world officials last week to address the climate crisis.

Here, two researchers explain the stereotypical labels deployed by critics to undermine Thunberg’s call to action, which the activist herself has described as “too loud for people to handle”.

https://theconversation.com/misogyny-ma ... erg-124347

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 4:43 am

People don't love our child savior, so clearly they're all men and there's something wrong with them.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 4:53 am

There's a difference between not loving someone, and acting like a total jerk because you don't .

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 5:21 am

I read the article, I guess it's possible misogyny could be responsible for some male comments.

I'm not a climate change denier. I think the earth goes through constant heating and cooling. But since science can't isolate the percentage of climate change that carbon is responsible for, I'm disinclined to think science can turn it around.

I'm not impressed by Thunberg because she skipped school one day and sailed to a conference. s**t, I'd buy into that if I could miss school and be home schooled on a boat. It is impressive that she spoke in front of the world, I'll give her that. An angry facial change, that we know from experience must be consciously worked at with Asperger's, when a world leader she doesn't think takes climate change seriously enough walks buy, is poor form. I really don't see what's Nobel Prize worthy yet, though I'm on the lookout.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 5:29 am

I doubt it. It would be just as valid to apply pop. psychology another way, and diagnose those who support an uneducated 16 year old as though she were a worthy leader of anything as "low testosterone white knight gamma soyboy males driven by their unconscious desire to bed poor Miss Thunberg."

While angry misogynists and creepy male fan clubs certainly exist, most of this, I suspect, is internet trolling culture slowly infecting mainstream political discourse. This internet culture where you "win" arguments by saying things to deliberately provoke the maximum possible emotional response and gaslight your target into retreat. So you tell feminists to make you a sandwich, tell mentally ill people that they are wrong because they are mentally ill or dismiss racial activists because they are of an inferior race etc. People will say these things just to discredit an opinion or drive a political opponent into having a mental breakdown and it would be premature to assume you had uncovered any sort of baser motivation than not liking what someone is saying.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 5:51 am

firemonkey wrote:
There's a difference between not loving someone, and acting like a total jerk because you don't .

There is, but jerks are going to be jerks, especially to someone in the public spotlight. But people being jerks to her doesn't make her little cult of personality anymore credible, nor does blathering about "male rage" and implying senseless (and apparently monogendered) bigotry on the part of her critics.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 6:22 am

Them: What if I told you you could get out of traditional classroom school by promoting The Intergalatic Turd Association? You could show up at demonstrations and hold signs, travel by boat, have a tutor? And lots of people would clap, smile and give you an award!

Kid: :idea: :arrow: 8) I'm in.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 12:08 pm

I tend to shy away from coverage of Greta. There's too much to be "triggered" if you will by, whether it's potentially people who's content I like being condescending about her because autism or because I might dislike her and the representation of my disability she's projecting to the World. Or I might like her, which would then make people who I respect going in on her much worse. It's too personal.

There's a machine behind Greta that has chosen her to be their face for a reason. The young, autistic girl. She can be the inspiring heroine to the already converted, and she's the bait in the trap that these fools are falling for. They look bad approaching her this way. They should be looking past her to the bigger picture. She's hard to attack without looking bad because of what she is, so just don't attack her. Just as people didn't take Trump seriously and dismissed him as a clown and such without seeing the bigger picture of what he represented, the mistake is the same with Greta. Take her seriously because of what she represents. Engage the arguments, not the person, in the same way as if she were 60 instead of 16 speaking the words. She is the mouthpiece of the powerful machine behind her, not some random disabled child blundering around in an adults World.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 2:10 pm

Drake wrote:
I tend to shy away from coverage of Greta. There's too much to be "triggered" if you will by, whether it's potentially people who's content I like being condescending about her because autism or because I might dislike her and the representation of my disability she's projecting to the World. Or I might like her, which would then make people who I respect going in on her much worse. It's too personal.

There's a machine behind Greta that has chosen her to be their face for a reason. The young, autistic girl. She can be the inspiring heroine to the already converted, and she's the bait in the trap that these fools are falling for. They look bad approaching her this way. They should be looking past her to the bigger picture. She's hard to attack without looking bad because of what she is, so just don't attack her. Just as people didn't take Trump seriously and dismissed him as a clown and such without seeing the bigger picture of what he represented, the mistake is the same with Greta. Take her seriously because of what she represents. Engage the arguments, not the person, in the same way as if she were 60 instead of 16 speaking the words. She is the mouthpiece of the powerful machine behind her, not some random disabled child blundering around in an adults World.

Good point

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 5:35 pm

First of all, i am Addressing the Op and not anyone Personally on this Website by Name.

Ha!; i rarely come here anymore but just in the span of a day; Word Play as Pejoratives for Female Genitalia
Describing Thunberg's Name; And then Mental Melt-downs attributed to a bit of Passion a person uses to
get their Message through in a way that will be remembered long after any cold logical robotic speech alone of facts.
If she was smart she did that on purpose; if she is 'Human'; same Kudos for truly being a Human Passionate with a Cause.

And then there was a Video of a "Know it all" suggesting all Close to 17 Year-Old Brains are the same implicitly as she couldn't Possibly be a Smarter Person in a room than the Legal Age-adults to Buy Beer all sitting around with Advanced Brains that do or not get used. Environment Counts; spend one's Day Researching a Topic and Learn as much or more as one knows getting a degree in a Day too, all spread out in several different disciplines, other wise.

It's rather predictable; i've seen it before; Just a Pejorative way of discounting someone's credibility based on
Pre-conceived Notions of Bias attributable to the Tribe at Hand; as one Will almost of course find the Word
Tribe in Attributable too; haha;

Like the Notion that somehow a Human Male with empathy/sympathy/compassion for another Human Being Lacks Manhood in some way.

Got news for Y'all; Alpha Male success is more about Empathy and Cooperation than Domination and Competition alone;
Not my News; the Frans de Waal Way of Studying the Alpha Male in Apes; Misattributed to Trump-Like Behavior of
Domination and Competition alone. In Fact, yes again, 'Class', the Most Successful Alpha Males among Apes
have Loads of Empathy and take care of the Weak; not unlike the more Credible Human Story part of an other
Wise Myth of a Dude Named 'Jesus'.

Altruism Works this way in Healthy Bonobos for sure; and Humans too, when Altruism is both Born and Nurtured too.

Trump missed the boat; and obviously some other Humans do too.

Greta Thunberg did not for she is both Logical and a Caring Normal Human Being too; to the extent that Environment
Counts for all living Beings too; and to the extent that this is the One Home Humans will ever have; and the Only
Chance for any Heaven as even the Story Book of Jesus in a New Testament relates to as lo Heaven ain't over
there; or under here; or just above there; it's a place all around for those who are fearless enough with Love
to actually be Meek enough to See/DO it; the Original Greek Term 'Meek' Like a Military Warrior out of Combat
who has nothing to prove or even raise a fist about; A Warrior who understand the Value of Peace and
Harmony most for he and or she has seen the Blood Flow from all colors Where Love is the Color of Love and that's it.

It's the way one carries oneself that counts most; not the weasel words one Uses to try to knock folks down.

Part two below to accommodate the Cloud Flare issue.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 5:36 pm

As continued from above:

This is Just Human 101; as transparent as School Yard Bullies who did/do not get enough Love from whoever;
or even more unfortunate, are not even born with the ability to give and receive love as that happens too
in around One percent of the 'Trump' Leaning Population too.

It just reminds me too; for why i rarely visit this site; other than to Observe the Human Condition more Fully
as a Participant Anthropology Observer; just a Hobby from one of three degrees from University; Of course i didn't
go to School to make money; i went to School to be a successful Human Being; A Successful Human Being
Never Sees the Need to Bring another Person down in any Personal way. They are too filled up inside with
Love to be brought down to a level less than what one might see in a 'Real Jesus' still as 'that' now is just A
Common Altruistic Human Condition for Humans in a 'Fox Hole of Life', where every Hand counts for survival;

So Much Different than Avatar Life; where anyone big will be anyone small; and anyone small will be anyone big.

It's worth noting that the smaller one is one who Squeezes in tight places with no problems; Breathing Room for Love;

The Analogy of the Eye of the Needle that is Hope, Love, Charity, Faith and sure Passion Luke Hot for the Jesus
Combo Analogy of Human Altruism too; And Basically the Camel is just about everything related to the Current
Global Meme of 'Trumpism'; Just Another Religion as the Dark Force is an incredible Bond to Bind for Folks
who haven't quite caught up with the Light Force of Faith that Is Love, Hope and Charity for All.

True; i study Climate Change too; Where i Live there is an ongoing Drought; been going on as long
As Some Humans are chosen over others as a more palatable Cup of 'Southern Baptist Tea'; with an Evangelical Passion
for that Dark Force of Life; Everyone is passionate about something if they are still breathing; other wise the Human
Condition would have never got off its butt to get out of the Cave and Paint a Different way than the Dark of the Cave at Night.

Other than that have a nice Day With Flowers; Here is A recent Video of me 'Balleting a Free Style' Dance in Trump Town USA; Celebrating 12,000 Miles of Public Dance in 73 months; No one bothers my grace; no one questions my strength; not even in the Military Gym at age 59, now when i warm up before Leg Pressing 1340 LBS (609 Kilograms), 12-18 reps still at 90 Degrees Angle for a 100 Second Duration; that's on my Youtube Site too; but it's A bit off-topic of Male Grace and Love in Balance; as opposed to Male Fear and Hate of Rage (Toxic Patriarchy) "Poison Pill" of Premature Male Death too, overall. Look at it this way; if one can and will; Fire off Colorful Lights of one's 'Christmas Tree' Spiraling about in Balance; or go all Black Hole Sun Dark way losing all one's positive energy down a drain of Entropy; like an Evergreen with no green.

Fearless Means Grace of Balance; A Body that Floats/Spirals Effortlessly at 109 Kilograms (240 American Pounds) has no place for fear on Terrestrial Earth; Not Unlike a Lion Gracefully conserving every ounce of Energy on the Savanah for a Successful Strike for Survival; After Calm 'CHI' Repose before they fire off their Next ire of Fire in Claws and Jaws Strike; with smiles, of Lion Heart too..;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEyc5w8YHX8

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

The crowd that is outraged over things said about Thunberg, say the same kinds of things about "deniers".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:28 pm

EzraS wrote:
The crowd that is outraged over things said about Thunberg, say the same kinds of things about "deniers".

Further thread derail:
The constant use of "denier" is designed to equate the person not agreeing with the anthropogenic global warming theory with holocaust deniers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:41 pm

I'm not mad.

I don't hate.

It's a puppet and I swing and vote left of the middle.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 1:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Further thread derail:
The constant use of "denier" is designed to equate the person not agreeing with the anthropogenic global warming theory with holocaust deniers.

Oh wow I had not put those two together. Holy crap.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 2:52 am

It's also inaccurate. I'm not a denier. I absolutely believe humans have had a negative effect on the global environment and that it behooves everyone to take steps to rectify and mitigate it. But I'm not a climate alarmist. I don't think we need to institute a global eco-dictatorship or we'll all be dead within a decade or two.