Male rage and the words men use to describe Greta Thunberg

Page 2 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 3:34 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
It's also inaccurate. I'm not a denier. I absolutely believe humans have had a negative effect on the global environment and that it behooves everyone to take steps to rectify and mitigate it. But I'm not a climate alarmist. I don't think we need to institute a global eco-dictatorship or we'll all be dead within a decade or two.

Can you really blame her, though? She will probably be alive in 50 years. The politicians choosing to do nothing won't. Younger people should have a greater say in how we handle this, because they will deal with the consequences.

We've also had decades of non-alarmist response. Should we sound the alarm after things become really horrible?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 3:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The crowd that is outraged over things said about Thunberg, say the same kinds of things about "deniers".

Further thread derail:
The constant use of "denier" is designed to equate the person not agreeing with the anthropogenic global warming theory with holocaust deniers.

Well, considering that "holocaust" means "total burning," that's not so inaccurate.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 3:39 am

HighLlama wrote:
We've also had decades of non-alarmist response. Should we sound the alarm after things become really horrible?

Quite the contrary — we've had decades of phony alarmist hysteria.

There Are Four Lights!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 3:49 am

^^

That list doesn't say where any of those assertions are from or why anyone thought those things. None of that sounds like it was from any mainstream news outlet, but maybe I'm wrong. And a false alarm doesn't make denial true, either.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 6:34 am

Drake wrote:
I tend to shy away from coverage of Greta. There's too much to be "triggered" if you will by, whether it's potentially people who's content I like being condescending about her because autism or because I might dislike her and the representation of my disability she's projecting to the World. Or I might like her, which would then make people who I respect going in on her much worse. It's too personal.

There's a machine behind Greta that has chosen her to be their face for a reason. The young, autistic girl. She can be the inspiring heroine to the already converted, and she's the bait in the trap that these fools are falling for. They look bad approaching her this way. They should be looking past her to the bigger picture. She's hard to attack without looking bad because of what she is, so just don't attack her. Just as people didn't take Trump seriously and dismissed him as a clown and such without seeing the bigger picture of what he represented, the mistake is the same with Greta. Take her seriously because of what she represents. Engage the arguments, not the person, in the same way as if she were 60 instead of 16 speaking the words. She is the mouthpiece of the powerful machine behind her, not some random disabled child blundering around in an adults World.

This is essentially my issue/concern with Greta as well. The "cult of personality". The issue she's trying to promote: greater awareness, acceptance and change is the climate. However she has people now just shy of worshiping her as a person and comparing her to a saint or equating her with Jesus. The intent of her mission is being tossed on the trash heap and overshadowed by the worship.

Think about it. Instead of reading or hearing things like:

"Wow, that girl really woke me up. We DO have to get serious about climate change!"
"Combating 'climate change' should be our number one priority!"

we're seeing and reading things around the world like:

"I love Greta!" "Greta is a savior!" Greta, Greta, Greta, Greta..........

Cults of personality rarely end well. I have a relative that named his kid after a famous sports figure because he loved the guy so much. Years later that sports figure was revealed to have done illegal things and fell completely from grace. I would never worship (figuratively or literally) another human being, ever. I'm male, and I'm not in a rage over this.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 1:33 pm

Why are we wasting our time getting bent out of shape over how mentally ill manchildren view someone who actually has relevancy? We shouldn't forget that they exist, but outside of their votes they're utterly irrelevant and shouldn't be given more attention then they deserve.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 1:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Why are we wasting our time getting bent out of shape over how mentally ill manchildren view someone who actually has relevancy? We shouldn't forget that they exist, but outside of their votes they're utterly irrelevant and shouldn't be given more attention then they deserve.

Because rather than being about the environment, this is about gathering kneejerk support from people addicted to empty outrage, and their favourite target is old white "cis-het" men. Articles like this is just stoking the flames a bit. Saying that all the evil white men are super-outraged is just a way to pretend at making progress and "upsetting the right people". It is, in short, and invitation to gloat and pat oneself on the back.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 11:15 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Because rather than being about the environment, this is about gathering kneejerk support from people addicted to empty outrage, and their favourite target is old white "cis-het" men. Articles like this is just stoking the flames a bit. Saying that all the evil white men are super-outraged is just a way to pretend at making progress and "upsetting the right people". It is, in short, and invitation to gloat and pat oneself on the back.

So, tell me more about how this cis-white-hetero man (me) hates cis-white-het men. :lol:

It's a quaint deflection, but it isn't worth the data it took to post.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 1:59 am

I'll admit to being tired, drugged and posting from my phone. Nevertheless, you'll find that there are plenty of white cis-het men perfectly willing to say "yes, people like me are the problem". Whether you specifically are one of them is irrelevant, it only suggests you aren't the primary target audience.

And just the other day I saw a headline about how Greta is "upsetting the Patriarchy". She and her parents have all been photographed in pro-Antifa clothing. This is about the environment about as much as the Green New Deal was.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:22 am

HighLlama wrote:
^^

That list doesn't say where any of those assertions are from or why anyone thought those things. None of that sounds like it was from any mainstream news outlet, but maybe I'm wrong. And a false alarm doesn't make denial true, either.

I looked up one on that list to see if it had really been reported/said like that. No surprise to find it hadn't.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 7:45 am

HighLlama wrote:

Biscuitman wrote:
I looked up one on that list to see if it had really been reported/said like that. No surprise to find it hadn't.

Seems not to be total nonsense. At least some of them are properly sourced here:

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-yea ... redictions

Many from respectable, well known newspapers. I can see the Washington Post, The Guardian, The New York Times to name a few.

Edit: A skeptic blog is linked in the above. Apparently it's where that list was first collated, presumably others have built on it since. They've collected quite a few articles on the ice age panic in the 70s: https://realclimatescience.com/1970s-gl ... ing-scare/ . Reasonably sourced, though some are behind paywalls.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 3:48 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
And just the other day I saw a headline about how Greta is "upsetting the Patriarchy". She and her parents have all been photographed in pro-Antifa clothing. This is about the environment about as much as the Green New Deal was.

About this, I saw this the other day:

https://youtu.be/6mdYG3OIa2I?t=429

I've set it to the right time. So they got the climate scientist to tell us we're not all going to die in the next decade or so. But then she starts going on about some utter BS at about 9:00. Climate science should be completely apolitical. It shouldn't have any ideology to it. It is deeply concerning to hear something like that from such a person. And it really undermines the whole thing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'll admit to being tired, drugged and posting from my phone. Nevertheless, you'll find that there are plenty of white cis-het men perfectly willing to say "yes, people like me are the problem". Whether you specifically are one of them is irrelevant, it only suggests you aren't the primary target audience.

How dare they have opinions on other topics. I'll join you in sternly waging my finger at people who dare express their contempt for fascists.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:03 pm

For "contempt for fascists" read "support for violent radical communists".

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:10 pm

I don't know why this thread is only about men's attitudes. There are plenty of women who dislike Greta, feel rage, and use foul language about her as well. I don't think gender has anything to do with it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 8:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Had to slightly change title to make it fit.

Quote:
Detractors have dismissed Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg - a Nobel Prize nominee - as mentally ill, hysterical and a millennial weirdo after she pleaded with world officials last week to address the climate crisis.

Here, two researchers explain the stereotypical labels deployed by critics to undermine Thunberg’s call to action, which the activist herself has described as “too loud for people to handle”.

https://theconversation.com/misogyny-ma ... erg-124347

<only replying to what you have quoted from the article>

"Detractors"?
Surely they mean: *some* detractors.

I believe her parents have admitted she suffers from extreme anxiety and depression.
This is literally an aspect of mental illness, so the comment was factual.
I would also describe her manner in one of her most recent videos as: "hysterical",
What she said was not totally factual and fuelled, to an extreme degree, by emotionalism, surely.
The term: "millennial weirdo",
Well, that was uncalled for. 8O

There is a difference between being objective and blindly partisan, obviously.
I haven't the energy to read the article attached to the link but its integrity and the integrity of the people being referred to indeed seems to be questionable.
Please don't fallaciously/erroneously think the offensive attitude described would be embraced by the bulk of mature, rational, non-partisan or even partisan individuals.

Ciao :wink:

P.S.
I believe this is the same "theconversation.com" which disallows any opposition to the belief in man-made climate change.
In essence,
It is anti-free-speech and as such lacks intellectual integrity.
Simples. :wink: