Male rage and the words men use to describe Greta Thunberg

Page 2 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,193
Location: Sweden

03 Oct 2019, 2:52 am

It's also inaccurate. I'm not a denier. I absolutely believe humans have had a negative effect on the global environment and that it behooves everyone to take steps to rectify and mitigate it. But I'm not a climate alarmist. I don't think we need to institute a global eco-dictatorship or we'll all be dead within a decade or two.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,235

03 Oct 2019, 3:34 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
It's also inaccurate. I'm not a denier. I absolutely believe humans have had a negative effect on the global environment and that it behooves everyone to take steps to rectify and mitigate it. But I'm not a climate alarmist. I don't think we need to institute a global eco-dictatorship or we'll all be dead within a decade or two.


Can you really blame her, though? She will probably be alive in 50 years. The politicians choosing to do nothing won't. Younger people should have a greater say in how we handle this, because they will deal with the consequences.

We've also had decades of non-alarmist response. Should we sound the alarm after things become really horrible?


_________________
Unofficially human.


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,235

03 Oct 2019, 3:35 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The crowd that is outraged over things said about Thunberg, say the same kinds of things about "deniers".


Further thread derail:
The constant use of "denier" is designed to equate the person not agreeing with the anthropogenic global warming theory with holocaust deniers.


Well, considering that "holocaust" means "total burning," that's not so inaccurate.


_________________
Unofficially human.


Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,258
Location: New England

03 Oct 2019, 3:39 am

HighLlama wrote:
We've also had decades of non-alarmist response. Should we sound the alarm after things become really horrible?

Quite the contrary — we've had decades of phony alarmist hysteria.

Image


_________________
 
There Are Four Lights!


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,235

03 Oct 2019, 3:49 am

^^

That list doesn't say where any of those assertions are from or why anyone thought those things. None of that sounds like it was from any mainstream news outlet, but maybe I'm wrong. And a false alarm doesn't make denial true, either.


_________________
Unofficially human.


Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,443

03 Oct 2019, 6:34 am

Drake wrote:
I tend to shy away from coverage of Greta. There's too much to be "triggered" if you will by, whether it's potentially people who's content I like being condescending about her because autism or because I might dislike her and the representation of my disability she's projecting to the World. Or I might like her, which would then make people who I respect going in on her much worse. It's too personal.

There's a machine behind Greta that has chosen her to be their face for a reason. The young, autistic girl. She can be the inspiring heroine to the already converted, and she's the bait in the trap that these fools are falling for. They look bad approaching her this way. They should be looking past her to the bigger picture. She's hard to attack without looking bad because of what she is, so just don't attack her. Just as people didn't take Trump seriously and dismissed him as a clown and such without seeing the bigger picture of what he represented, the mistake is the same with Greta. Take her seriously because of what she represents. Engage the arguments, not the person, in the same way as if she were 60 instead of 16 speaking the words. She is the mouthpiece of the powerful machine behind her, not some random disabled child blundering around in an adults World.


This is essentially my issue/concern with Greta as well. The "cult of personality". The issue she's trying to promote: greater awareness, acceptance and change is the climate. However she has people now just shy of worshiping her as a person and comparing her to a saint or equating her with Jesus. The intent of her mission is being tossed on the trash heap and overshadowed by the worship.

Think about it. Instead of reading or hearing things like:

"Wow, that girl really woke me up. We DO have to get serious about climate change!"
"Combating 'climate change' should be our number one priority!"

we're seeing and reading things around the world like:

"I love Greta!" "Greta is a savior!" Greta, Greta, Greta, Greta..........

Cults of personality rarely end well. I have a relative that named his kid after a famous sports figure because he loved the guy so much. Years later that sports figure was revealed to have done illegal things and fell completely from grace. I would never worship (figuratively or literally) another human being, ever. I'm male, and I'm not in a rage over this.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,890
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

04 Oct 2019, 1:33 pm

Why are we wasting our time getting bent out of shape over how mentally ill manchildren view someone who actually has relevancy? We shouldn't forget that they exist, but outside of their votes they're utterly irrelevant and shouldn't be given more attention then they deserve.


_________________
knife goes in, guts come out


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,193
Location: Sweden

04 Oct 2019, 1:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Why are we wasting our time getting bent out of shape over how mentally ill manchildren view someone who actually has relevancy? We shouldn't forget that they exist, but outside of their votes they're utterly irrelevant and shouldn't be given more attention then they deserve.


Because rather than being about the environment, this is about gathering kneejerk support from people addicted to empty outrage, and their favourite target is old white "cis-het" men. Articles like this is just stoking the flames a bit. Saying that all the evil white men are super-outraged is just a way to pretend at making progress and "upsetting the right people". It is, in short, and invitation to gloat and pat oneself on the back.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,890
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

04 Oct 2019, 11:15 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Why are we wasting our time getting bent out of shape over how mentally ill manchildren view someone who actually has relevancy? We shouldn't forget that they exist, but outside of their votes they're utterly irrelevant and shouldn't be given more attention then they deserve.


Because rather than being about the environment, this is about gathering kneejerk support from people addicted to empty outrage, and their favourite target is old white "cis-het" men. Articles like this is just stoking the flames a bit. Saying that all the evil white men are super-outraged is just a way to pretend at making progress and "upsetting the right people". It is, in short, and invitation to gloat and pat oneself on the back.


So, tell me more about how this cis-white-hetero man (me) hates cis-white-het men. :lol:

It's a quaint deflection, but it isn't worth the data it took to post.


_________________
knife goes in, guts come out


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,193
Location: Sweden

05 Oct 2019, 1:59 am

I'll admit to being tired, drugged and posting from my phone. Nevertheless, you'll find that there are plenty of white cis-het men perfectly willing to say "yes, people like me are the problem". Whether you specifically are one of them is irrelevant, it only suggests you aren't the primary target audience.

And just the other day I saw a headline about how Greta is "upsetting the Patriarchy". She and her parents have all been photographed in pro-Antifa clothing. This is about the environment about as much as the Green New Deal was.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,926
Location: Dunking jammy dodgers

05 Oct 2019, 5:22 am

HighLlama wrote:
^^

That list doesn't say where any of those assertions are from or why anyone thought those things. None of that sounds like it was from any mainstream news outlet, but maybe I'm wrong. And a false alarm doesn't make denial true, either.


I looked up one on that list to see if it had really been reported/said like that. No surprise to find it hadn't.



Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2015
Age: 32
Posts: 1,195
Location: England

05 Oct 2019, 7:45 am

HighLlama wrote:
That list doesn't say where any of those assertions are from or why anyone thought those things. None of that sounds like it was from any mainstream news outlet, but maybe I'm wrong. And a false alarm doesn't make denial true, either.

Biscuitman wrote:
I looked up one on that list to see if it had really been reported/said like that. No surprise to find it hadn't.


Seems not to be total nonsense. At least some of them are properly sourced here:

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-yea ... redictions

Many from respectable, well known newspapers. I can see the Washington Post, The Guardian, The New York Times to name a few.

Edit: A skeptic blog is linked in the above. Apparently it's where that list was first collated, presumably others have built on it since. They've collected quite a few articles on the ice age panic in the 70s: https://realclimatescience.com/1970s-gl ... ing-scare/ . Reasonably sourced, though some are behind paywalls.


_________________
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.


Drake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,411

05 Oct 2019, 3:48 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
And just the other day I saw a headline about how Greta is "upsetting the Patriarchy". She and her parents have all been photographed in pro-Antifa clothing. This is about the environment about as much as the Green New Deal was.

About this, I saw this the other day:

https://youtu.be/6mdYG3OIa2I?t=429

I've set it to the right time. So they got the climate scientist to tell us we're not all going to die in the next decade or so. But then she starts going on about some utter bullshit at about 9:00. Climate science should be completely apolitical. It shouldn't have any ideology to it. It is deeply concerning to hear something like that from such a person. And it really undermines the whole thing.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,890
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

05 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'll admit to being tired, drugged and posting from my phone. Nevertheless, you'll find that there are plenty of white cis-het men perfectly willing to say "yes, people like me are the problem". Whether you specifically are one of them is irrelevant, it only suggests you aren't the primary target audience.

And just the other day I saw a headline about how Greta is "upsetting the Patriarchy". She and her parents have all been photographed in pro-Antifa clothing. This is about the environment about as much as the Green New Deal was.


How dare they have opinions on other topics. I'll join you in sternly waging my finger at people who dare express their contempt for fascists.


_________________
knife goes in, guts come out


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,193
Location: Sweden

05 Oct 2019, 5:03 pm

For "contempt for fascists" read "support for violent radical communists".


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.