Why do people support idols - no matter what?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 2:43 pm

I bet that even if Trump raped and murdered a child and all the evidence was there to witness for the entire world, Trump's core-supporters would never stop supporting him.

The big question is: What makes people support their idols (Trump or anybody else enjoying popularity) regardless of whatever they do?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 2:48 pm

People have been programmed to pick a political team and support it, right or wrong. I find it hard to believe anybody actually idolizes politicians, but the world is full of craziness.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 2:57 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
People have been programmed to pick a political team and support it, right or wrong. I find it hard to believe anybody actually idolizes politicians, but the world is full of craziness.

I'm convinced that even if Trump raped and murdered a child on LIVE TV at the center of New York in bright daylight directly transmitted to the entire world, and if we asked 90 % of Earth's population to participate as Jury's passing on a sentence, we wouldn't reach a 100 % agreement on whether or not to send Trump to jail.

In other words: There will always be core-supporters - despite all the evidence and despite usually sending such criminals to jail, who would support their team no matter what.

That's the crazy thing about humanity. As you say, people pick a political team and support it regardless of its crimes.

This is evidence that humanity is inherently evil.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 04 Oct 2019, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

It's a human flaw that's innate in most people and has been for eons. In the Old Testament the Hebrews were doing just fine for awhile without a king. They apparently begged to have a king even though they didn't need one. Their wish was granted and from what I recall it didn't turn out all that well for them.

Also, keep in mind that the tendency to idolize a person isn't specific to any one political affiliation. Bill Clinton, a married man, took out his penis in the Oval Office of the White House and had an intern fellate him while he in turn did sexual things to her and rather than being thrown in the trash bin of history as a shameful lecherous pig, there are many people, including women, who to this day turn a blind eye to it.

There are people that would have idolized Obama regardless of what he might have done. I'm certain of it.

Point being, idolizing someone isn't a flaw of one type of person. I don't idolize anyone because I feel humans are imperfect. While humans are capable of good and impressive things, they're also capable of terrible things and as such are disappointing in many, many ways.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Magna wrote:
While humans are capable of good and impressive things, they're also capable of terrible things and as such are disappointing in many, many ways.

What I was trying to say is that if we cannot have 100 % perfect people capable of only good stuff, perhaps we shouldn't have people at all?

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:16 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

Party affected bias makes people more biased than racism according to some:

538 article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... nt-things/

Scientific manuscript: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~seanjwestwoo ... s/ARPS.pdf

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:19 pm

Antrax wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Party affected bias makes people more biased than racism according to some:

538 article: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... nt-things/

Scientific manuscript: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~seanjwestwoo ... s/ARPS.pdf

Solution? Abolish bias through anti-bias laws.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 04 Oct 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:23 pm

What we need are anti-bias laws.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:29 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
What we need are anti-bias laws.

Media as we know it would cease to exist. There is no unbiased media out there any longer.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 5:38 pm

The Warm And Fuzzy Social Bonding Comfort that the Neurohormone Oxytocin
Brings is what folks really do not want to lose at core if they call out Trump on 12,000
or So Father Of All Lies (John 8:44 as Metaphor) at Church; as Yes, Do that and Other Folks will View you
Like a Human Plague; been there done it; but i get enough LoVE iN at Home and Other places not to worry
about Losing all my Warm And Comfy At Church. It's Basically tied into getting into Heaven after a Dirt Nap
for Some Folks Who have been Lied to the Same for Carrots and Sticks After Death to Keep them in the Church
and the 'Collectibles' in the Money Basket coming in for the Church Employees to keep a steady stream of sustenance;
Fed by the Warm and Fuzzy Bonds over Common Binds in the Pews where Republicans are always Good in Black and
White and Democrats Are Always Bad in Rainbow Colors of Gay and such as that. It's amazing; a Catholic Priest
Decried the Obama Administration as changing this Country in a Place Where Gays can get married that we
No longer can recognize as our Country; of course he didn't Spell it out; but he did not have too for they
already Had a Big Lecture on why Gay Folks can't get married. Of course, they Believe they have
the only ticket to the 'Good and the Bad Place' After Death too missing the Entire Metaphor
in their 'Good Book' that the Flow of Bliss; escaping the Neo-Cortical Prison of Time Distance
And Space and even Matter; Ascending, Transcending into the Eternal Flow Now of Nirvana is a Cross-Cultural
Phenomenon; 'Autotelic' as such now, for those who find a Meditative practice to achieve it; and here's another
thing; when one Generates their own Positive Neurochemicals and Neurohormones and are not terrified of going
to Hell if they touch their Human Being Parts and stuff like that; the Religion Loses control; no more Subjugation
for Material Gains out of the Pockets of the Congregation; No more 10 Million Dollar Prosperity Homes, in fact,
who needs any of that when Happiness is ours to Generate within upon the Call of Relative Free Will in Practice
of Meditative Practices now; True, Tantric Sensual Meditation Will Work too; so many Paths to Heaven Within Now Free.

The Reason People support Idols is they Have Poverty Within; and spend their Entire Life trying to Fill and Feel
An Empty Place with External Rewards; when they will Master the All in All of Happiness with a practice of Bliss
Generated by Bio-Feedback that works now; Who Needs Idols to Replace What's Missing Within; Oh Complete, what Joy.

Smiles; i ain't got no Idols, for i am Nature and Complete; i just go to Church to Sing About Love but Trump Still
is Just a Distraction from the Power of Love. Anyway; Humans are not rational; they run on Emotions and Senses
Dark thru Light Generated by Neurohormones and Neurochemicals too; Square one Root one Problem get
filled and feeled up within; and Priests, Pastors, and Politicians; and Other Idols have no control over one's
Happiness now; nor does Group Think in General as the Reward is already free for us to Generate if we
gain the Self-Knowledge also referred as Gnosis to do it; Mystics Believe in Heaven now for they find it
all free thru Bio-Feedback of Nature Real. Literalists will continue to Materially Reduce it to Idols
in every way Black and White Purgatory to Real Hell may MaNifest Now as Demagogues sadly still
are among their Greatest Rewards and Punishments same too for Living Lies for Social Comfort.

i LiVE iN Trump Town USA, the Panhandle, where Trump is not the Only one who
Recommends Shooting Immigrants Crossing the Border; of Course Christians how easily
'they' Forget that 'their' Story Book Jesus clearly indicates He is in Metaphor those People
Some Christians wanna harm so much; Jesus would not 'know' them this way even he lived now.

It's Literally and Metaphorically Close to Impossible to Follow the Teachings of Jesus
unless one Develops a Buddha-Like Personality; for it's basically the same teachings too.
Yes; An Autotelic Personality where Heaven is Generated Within Eternally Now Sitting Under
A Tree; Taking a Long Walk in the Desert (YucK); or the Beauty of a 'iSoLated' Walk with ALL on a Pristine
Beach; just about the Only place where one will Feel and Sense God other than within where i Live now;
but sure; there are Rivers And Forests too; Plenty of Places to find Distance from those who do not find Heaven now.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 5:48 pm

Loyalty

Role model

Bias

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 9:53 am

So most of life, especially as it relates to people relating to people, is built on lies, petty narcissism, etc. This is part of why success is not what you know but who you know or why it's incredibly difficult for people starting at a lower wage, even for white-collar work, to make it out of their parents place - the deal is too good for each next employer not to just pay them maybe $1,000 more per year every four or five years, because they can.

If you want to jump down the well of pessimism with both feet in try listening to the first fifteen minutes of this:

So the worst part about this - we're perpetuated, by evolution, not to care about truth but rather bonus maximizing and in-group tribal preference, and the in-group tribal preference is because our ability to even pay our bills and not live in a studio flat by ourselves as losers for sterling work is based on who we know, who likes us or doesn't like us, and if all the people around us happen to be pro-pedophilia or pro-naziism we damn well better show just how pro-pedophilia or pro-naziiism we are. It doesn't matter what you put in, replace pro-pedophilia or pro-naziism with absolutely anything else - we're not free, we don't get to think for ourselves, and people who refuse to give in to that and refuse to lie or refuse to rim narcissists.... lol.... they end up like me - nearly 40, living at home with their parents based on their salary with an employer who says they're doing great work (in my current case the business sense is bad enough that I know they can't pay me more but for the last 12 years before this job this is exactly what happened), and any hope of status (to ever have the wife or kids) an almost literal impossibility.

Pretty much picture an economic war of all against all where power is based on some combination of how much money you have, how many demons you have on a leash to intimidate other people with, and how willing you are to lie to people and be completely brazen or even hostile if they catch you in your lie (so that they'll falsify their own reality and bend it to yours), then you can actually be a shaker and mover and by the time you're all those things combined you'll also be on the fast track to distorting reality and you'll be a dutiful hand in the 6th mass extinction, global warming, and making sure that no one under or around you can speak truth and get away with it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 05 Oct 2019, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 9:54 am

Also helpful:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:50 pm

If someone were present for the rape and murder and they had a conscience, they would denounce Trump. But that would never happen, because no one would do that in front of witnesses.

The problem is that neither side believes the evidence the other side presents. There's too many ways now to alter evidence and there have always been people on both sides willing to lie to protect their own interests.

All politicians are liars, we used to be able to depend on the media to be the truth tellers. Now, we don't even have them. It's left up to each individual to take the evidence presented, try and figure out if it's true, then make a decision. So, it's not as simple as 'knowing.' We none know the real truth, we just know what we are willing or not willing to believe.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:23 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I bet that even if Trump raped and murdered a child and all the evidence was there to witness for the entire world, Trump's core-supporters would never stop supporting him.

The big question is: What makes people support their idols (Trump or anybody else enjoying popularity) regardless of whatever they do?

Putin is a psychopathic murderer. (The head of: "Assassins are us".)
And he is very popular in the U.S.S.R., err, I mean Russia.
So is the North Korean guy.
In North Korea,
Not Russia. :wink:
And what about the new China dude?

At least with Trump, it isn't luv through fear.
It isn't a case of the threat of torture and extermination of you and your family.
Compared to the other guys, he is a cuddly pooh bear. :mrgreen:

And no, I am not a Trump fanboy.
Just trying to maintain some perspective. :mrgreen:

I could go on about human psychology, but nobody wants that. 8O

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 8:15 am

Some lil dipshits see everything and everyone as , good or bad

Situational versus dispositional