Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 4:49 am

LOL, well we all are...me too. But the word isn't wrong. I think, too, I get bothered when people put an emphasis on these words with vocal inflection, as if their use of them is especially original. They seem less concerned with accuracy and more with their own agenda. And your first example is a really good use of the word narrative.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2021, 4:59 am

HighLlama wrote:
LOL, well we all are...me too. But the word isn't wrong. I think, too, I get bothered when people put an emphasis on these words with vocal inflection, as if their use of them is especially original. They seem less concerned with accuracy and more with their own agenda. And your first example is a really good use of the word narrative.

Thank you :). Yes, that's how I feel as well.

I think "toxic" bugs me because they're trying to get you to take notice of something they think is very important and dangerous, but so many people do it so often, it's like The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Once, in another discussion group, I asked why nobody ever uses a synonym and somebody replied that it's "the perfect word' to describe that, so why would they use anything else.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2021, 10:22 pm

The other one that gets me is "normalize," as in "We need to normalize _______." Instead of listing everything that needs to be normalized, how about saying it's okay to not be normal?