How is it that some atheists are good people?

Page 3 of 26 [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 7:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
Firstly, if there is a god he made a right old balls-up and then blamed his creation for the mess?
Dude. 8O

BTW, I hope you aren't playing "Devil's Advocate" here.
I don't think the "Big Guy" would be happy with you. <EEP!>

So what are you saying?
You are or you are not a theist and believe in your faith? :?

You're missing the nub of this conversation and attacking a certain vision of theism in response like a well-trained youtube addict. This is not about Christianity or any other faith. Discard them all from your mind for the time being, keeping science if you wish and ponder the universe.

How did it come to be? Was there a before? Was there a who involved? What is outside of it? Is there a purpose to it all?

The only honest answer a human can give is "I don't know".

Atheism from this position of no knowledge is faith that one or more of the answers to these questions is no.

Pepe wrote:
WOW!
As John Oliver would say.
Aren't you guys supposed to be warm an fuzzy?
Dude. 8O :wink:

A common misconception.

Edit I missed that:
Pepe wrote:
It is a faith built on reason, not on, err, faith.

Reason can only take you as far as agnosticism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 9:54 pm

Mikah wrote:
How did it come to be? Was there a before? Was there a who involved? What is outside of it? Is there a purpose to it all?

How did god come to be? Was there a before god? Was there a who involved who made god?
What is outside of it? Who cares. :mrgreen:
Is there a purpose to it all? No. 8)

Mikah wrote:
The only honest answer a human can give is "I don't know".

You forget.
I am not human.
I joined the Vulcan Confedferacy decades ago. 8)
BTW, The Vulcan answer regarding whether or not there is a purpose to life is: "Logically speaking, probably not". V

Mikah wrote:
Reason can only take you as far as agnosticism.

Atheism: "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... &q=Atheism
Trust me,
I am an Atheist,
And my reasoning ability had everything/k to do with it.:wink:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 10:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
How did god come to be? Was there a before god? Was there a who involved who made god?
What is outside of it? Who cares. :mrgreen:
Is there a purpose to it all? No. 8)

Not caring is one thing, but you do not know the answers to these questions.

Pepe wrote:
You forget.
I am not human.
I joined the Vulcan Confedferacy decades ago. 8)
BTW, The Vulcan answer regarding whether or not there is a purpose to life is: "Logically speaking, probably not". V

Righty-o.

Pepe wrote:
Trust me,
I am an Atheist,

I do not have to trust you, it is obviously untrue if you just think about it for a minute. You do not have the requisite knowledge to apply reason in this instance. You may think you reasoned your way into it - but the human mind often likes to deceive itself in this way. Do not mistake rationalisation for reason.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 10:46 pm

Mikah wrote:

Not caring is one thing, but you do not know the answers to these questions.

Science had/has Newtonian Physics as a model which was/is very useful until something came along to better explain the "universe".
If something better comes along that will change my outlook on life, I will change my thinking.
Look at my signature: "Give me a better argument and I will listen."

So far you haven't given me a better intellectual concept, hence my not budging from my position. <shrug>
You better get a wriggle on.
I'm not getting any younger. :mrgreen:

Mikah wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Trust me,
I am an Atheist,

I do not have to trust you, it is obviously untrue if you just think about it for a minute. You do not have the requisite knowledge to apply reason in this instance. You may think you reasoned your way into it - but the human mind often likes to deceive itself in this way. Do not mistake rationalisation for reason.

Let us assume my reasoning was faulty.
This is irrelevant in the sense that I truely "believe" in the non-existence of a "conscious god" which created the life system.

Perhaps I am a silly billy,
But I am a silly billy who most definitely is an Atheist. :mrgreen:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 11:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
So far you haven't given me a better intellectual concept, hence my not budging from my position. <shrug>

I have - agnosticism, admitting that you do not know. It's intellectually consistent, requires no faith and is perfectly rational. Atheism is none of these things.

Pepe wrote:
Let us assume my reasoning was faulty.

I've already explained why it is.

Pepe wrote:
This is irrelevant in the sense that I truely "believe" in the non-existence of a "conscious god" which created the life system.

Perhaps I am a silly billy,
But I am a silly billy who most definitely is an Atheist. :mrgreen:

Then I assume, in good faith, you will never again claim you reached the position through "reason" or for that matter claim the title of "thinker".

enz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2019, 11:58 pm

Pepe wrote:
enz wrote:

In the end only the Samaritan saved him. Fed him, gave him clothes, got him an inn to heal in

And look what that got him.
When is the last time you saw a "Samaritan", good or otherwise?
I think they are extinct. :scratch:

I think it fair to say that god/evolution hates people with good intentions. :mrgreen:

Alot can change in 2000 years :lol:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2019, 2:07 am

Samaritans still exist but in very small number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans

The relationship between them and the Jews at times of Jesus was probably comparable to relationship between Catholics and Protestants in some parts of European history.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:44 am

Atheists can be just as good as Theists, even though they believe in one less god.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:51 am

How is it that some atheists are good people?

Empathy

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 10:03 am

The question really should be:

"How Is It That Some Calvinists Are Good People?"----because Calvinism preaches that no good deed will land you in heaven.

Select people are, apparently, "blessed' from birth, and will land in heaven no matter how they conduct their lives subsequently.

There is no reward, apparently, for "good deeds."

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 10:38 am

Can a Misotheist be a good person? :P

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:18 pm

Atheism and theism are the ends of a scale that does not include agnosticism. It's possible to be an agnoctic atheist (in fact, most seem to be) and an agnostic theist.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 1:45 pm

I describe myself as an atheist because I have no reason to believe a "god" exists much like I have no reason to believe there is currently an invisible unicorn hiding in my closet.

I fully acknowledge the limitations of my knowledge, and I believe that I would be able to comprehend a "god" about as well as the bacteria in my intestine could comprehend ME.

I don't begrudge people their religion providing they don't demand I live in accordance within their religious tenets.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 1:51 pm

What if we are nothing more than a pimple on God's buttcheek, just waiting to be popped? :chin:

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 2:06 pm

All snarky cynicism put aside, I really don't "hate god". But sometimes I feel like he's very cruel. Or maybe it's really his followers who have a tendency to be cruel?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 2:25 pm

While I've enjoyed derailing the thread with Pepe, a more pertinent question that needs answering before tackling the actual topic is how do you decide what is "good".