The all encompassing UK General Election thread!

Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Nov 2019, 3:57 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Lab, Libs & SNP need to come to some agreement sooner rather than later if they are to realise my hung parliament dream

Disagree. That would hurt all of them.

In Scotland, for example, Independence is as big an issue as Brexit. While there's basically a single nationalist party, there are three major unionist parties (potentially plus the Brexit Party although I don't think they'll get many votes). If Labour and the Lib Dems seem too pally with the SNP then it will cost them votes to the Tories. I actually don't think there's any reason for a "remain alliance" in Scotland as the SNP are polling strongly and the Lib Dems have taken a lot of votes off the Tories. It is possibly Scotland will be entirely yellow of various shades after this election.

In England, there is a pretty widespread assumption that a substantial majority of people who vote Labour prefer the Lib Dems to the Tories, and vice versa. I am not at all sure that is true, and particularly in marginal seats. If you're voting for the third party in a two-way marginal then chances are you don't think much of either of the main options and might not vote at all if they were your only options. There are lots of people who would never consider voting Lib Dems because they perceive them to be too European, too soft on crime, too pro-immigration. Perhaps more significantly, there are a lot of people who would never vote Labour because they think they're too supportive of Scottish independence, too keen on tax rises, too antisemitic, too "led by Jeremy Corbyn".

In 2015 the Tories got a majority because Lib Dem voters switched their votes to the Tories to stop Miliband. If, for a second, the Lib Dems looked like they would work with Corbyn, there is a good chance that would happen again. The Lib Dems would fall back to 8% and the Tories would be up around 50%.

If you want to beat the Conservatives then don't look for ways to rig the game, because they probably won't work. Look for ways to win the game.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 5:29 pm

Norman Finkelstein cuts through the phony 'antisemitism' in the Labour party. It's beyond absurd to call Corbyn an anti Semite.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2019, 9:14 am

When Corbyn said "Jews don't understand British irony", was that an example of the British elite trying to destroy Jeremy Corbyn?

When Corbyn expressed support for "Freedom For Humanity", was that an example of the British elite trying to destroy Jeremy Corbyn?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 12:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
When Corbyn said "Jews don't understand British irony", was that an example of the British elite trying to destroy Jeremy Corbyn?

When Corbyn expressed support for "Freedom For Humanity", was that an example of the British elite trying to destroy Jeremy Corbyn?

Why are you using quotations for something he didn't say? He never said "Jews". You just made that up. He was talking about British Zionist Jews. You're allowed to support controversial art, doesn't mean he painted it. There were white people on there too.

The integrity Initiative is an example of it. That includes all the phony accusations. Mike Pompeo saying if Corbyn became Prime Minister it would be too late for regime change. The undercover Al Jazeera documentary regarding the Israel lobby where the guy from the Israeli Embassy says Corbyn is a problem.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2019, 3:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 013-speech

This guy has been a Corbyn supporter since before most people knew who Corbyn was, and still is, but even he can't defend Corbyn's attack on "Zionists".

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:13 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/24/jeremy-corbyn-antisemitism-labour-zionists-2013-speech

This guy has been a Corbyn supporter since before most people knew who Corbyn was, and still is, but even he can't defend Corbyn's attack on "Zionists".

I don't really care what some hack in that rag says to be honest. These 'journalists' always end up falling on the side of the establishment. If they actually did their job they'd end up in solitary confinement in Belmarsh or worse.

The hack does what you have done (conflating Zionists with the Jews). People attacking Nazis isn't an attack on white people. People attacking the KKK isn't an attack on all Americans or all white people. And how is criticising a twisted ideology suddenly hatred of a race of people? Utter rubbish.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:16 pm

If only you were as half as outraged about bombs as you are about words.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 8:59 am

Labour manifesto
https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/

Lib Dem manifesto
https://www.libdems.org.uk/plan

Tory manifesto on the way in the coming days, will post a link when it's out

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 3:14 am

The Institute For Fiscal Studies offer their thoughts on the manifesto's
https://www.ifs.org.uk/election/2019/manifestos

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 3:19 am

9 days to go

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 3:15 am

voted! Was there as the polling station opened

now 15 hours of silence before the exit poll :lol:

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 3:42 am

Article from 2015 showing some of our polling stations
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/gallery/2015/may/07/weird-wonderful-polling-stations-in-pictures

#dogsatpollingstations also trends on election day

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2019, 4:17 am

I am convinced that Boris Johnson has Aspergers or he is on the Autism Spectrum. He is an odd, weird, eccentric, interesting character. Boris Johnson is a charismatic leader and his positive vibe and he will continue to do a great job as UK PM and will get Brexit done.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2019, 7:31 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I am convinced that Boris Johnson has Aspergers or he is on the Autism Spectrum. He is an odd, weird, eccentric, interesting character. Boris Johnson is a charismatic leader and his positive vibe and he will continue to do a great job as UK PM and will get Brexit done.

I never thought I’d see something stranger than “Taylor Swift is autistic” but here we go...

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2019, 2:07 pm

Yep. Boris Johnson is just about the last person that I would expect to be on the autistic spectrum.

I voted earlier this evening. Queues were reported at polling stations throughout my part of London this morning. I reckon it’s people who are at their work Xmas outings tonight making sure they voted on their way to work.

Not long to go now to see how it all plays out. I’m not working tomorrow so I’ll stay up until the results in my area are declared. We should have a decent idea of how things are going by then.