The all encompassing UK General Election thread!

Page 3 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2019, 2:07 pm

Yep. Boris Johnson is just about the last person that I would expect to be on the autistic spectrum.

I voted earlier this evening. Queues were reported at polling stations throughout my part of London this morning. I reckon it’s people who are at their work Xmas outings tonight making sure they voted on their way to work.

Not long to go now to see how it all plays out. I’m not working tomorrow so I’ll stay up until the results in my area are declared. We should have a decent idea of how things are going by then.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2019, 2:55 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
Yep. Boris Johnson is just about the last person that I would expect to be on the autistic spectrum.

I voted earlier this evening. Queues were reported at polling stations throughout my part of London this morning. I reckon it’s people who are at their work Xmas outings tonight making sure they voted on their way to work.

Not long to go now to see how it all plays out. I’m not working tomorrow so I’ll stay up until the results in my area are declared. We should have a decent idea of how things are going by then.

Same in my part of London.

Was considering a risky trip to the count where I thought we'd win at least one and possibly two of the three seats on offer, but it now looks like we won't win any so I'm staying home.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 2:59 pm

Not voting, never voting.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2019, 3:09 pm

Catlover5 wrote:

That's a valid position but do you mind me asking why?

If you're in North Norfolk then your vote could be very meaningful and the "Lib Dem" candidate is basically a community-minded independent.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 3:16 pm

And the votes won't be fully counted and a winner known untill FRIDAY THE 13TH,is't that ominus.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 4:19 pm

I voted. I wasn't going to because I couldn't face researching who to vote for but a tactical vote choice matched up with the only potential representative who didn't make me want to punch them in the face.

Also while I disagree with their parties main point (another referendum) it won't happen anyway. I feel the best option was to stop a Tory majority to save the NHS, without giving Labour a maj either (because of Corbyn), so I voted Lib which in real money means I voted for a 19 year old, I kid you not. And while I disagree with another referendum, his argument that he wasn't old enough to vote last time is the best excuse I've herd yet, the rest has just been plain old bad lossership.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 4:29 pm

Didn't vote. My vain hope is that the Tories get us meaningfully out of the single market and somehow destroy themselves and Labour in the process. Even then I couldn't stomach voting for the court jester. Not that it matters, I live in a safe seat.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 5:02 pm

Exit poll:

CON: 368,
LAB: 191,
LIB DEM: 13,
BREX: 0,
SNP: 55,
GREEN: 1,
OTHER: 22

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 5:13 pm

What a absolute shambles from Labour

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 5:20 pm

Not great for the Lib Dems either. Sky news just reported that Jo Swinson may have lost her seat.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 5:20 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Catlover5 wrote:

That's a valid position but do you mind me asking why?

If you're in North Norfolk then your vote could be very meaningful and the "Lib Dem" candidate is basically a community-minded independent.

I don't have a strong feeling about any political party, nor do I wish to know any more about them than I already do (which isn't much) because I'm not interested in politics enough.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 6:55 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

I wonder whether Corbyn will do the decent thing, and step down . I don't dislike him, but the antipathy towards him from the voting public has been all too obvious for years . I have no doubt many didn't vote Labour precisely because of the thought of Corbyn as Prime minister . If the prediction of number of seats won is true this is even worse than the disastrous election of 1983 for Labour .

It's a sad day for civilised and decent people , who wanted an end to the thuggish behaviour towards the disabled and disadvantaged by the Tories.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 12:30 am

firemonkey wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

I wonder whether Corbyn will do the decent thing, and step down . I don't dislike him, but the antipathy towards him from the voting public has been all too obvious for years . I have no doubt many didn't vote Labour precisely because of the thought of Corbyn as Prime minister . If the prediction of number of seats won is true this is even worse than the disastrous election of 1983 for Labour .

It's a sad day for civilised and decent people , who wanted an end to the thuggish behaviour towards the disabled and disadvantaged by the Tories.
Corbyn has said he will step down as labour leader before another election.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 12:34 am

I honestly never thought Johnson was electable,if Johnson can win with all the crazy things he has done than maybe Trump can win America in 2020.

American's and Brits better stick together because were all in this s**t boat together.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 3:02 am

firemonkey wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

don't think the leader of a party that has a result like that has much choice in stepping down

On your last point, I couldn't agree more, and I have many thoughts around this, but it doesn't feel the right time to air them tbh, it ends up looking nothing more than sour grapes etc.

Just like in 2016, I am left feeling like my values & principles and the values & principles of the country I live it are a long, long way apart.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran