What do you hate most about your own country?

Page 10 of 14 [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:29 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse#Repercussions

Frankly I don't think they were punished enough. If this sort of thing happened in occuppied Japan during World War 2 under General Douglas MacArthur those soldiers would have gotten the death penalty.

Hell, any civilian in the US who did the sort of things those soldiers did would be considered a sadistic serial killer and would get either the death penalty or life in prison.

The fact that some of those soldiers are out of prison now and allowed to walk the streets sickens me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:34 am

I can almost hear everyone else in my country whine at the top of their lungs, "IT'S TOO COOOOLLLLD!!"

As someone who prefers cooler weather, that drives me up the wall. :? With a set of snow tires. :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

So what was that about not being bloodthirsty?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:40 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
So what was that about not being bloodthirsty?

I guess you're ok with letting sadistic killers and rapists walk free.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:45 am

I'm okay with people being punished according to their crime. Now, I agree with you that several of the people involved seemingly got off rather lightly, but since you seem to be implying that the only appropriate punishment would be death, I'm okay with erring on the side of non-hysteria.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:49 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm okay with people being punished according to their crime. Now, I agree with you that several of the people involved seemingly got off rather lightly, but since you seem to be implying that the only appropriate punishment would be death, I'm okay with erring on the side of non-hysteria.

I support the death penalty for murder. So yeah. Also I don't like you. :twisted:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:54 am

I know, but considering your wildly fluctuating emotional state, I don't attribute your opinion on that matter much weight.

And I actually do kind of like you. You're like a little yappy dog that sometimes goes hysterical and barks ceaselessly at imaginary mailmen.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:57 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I know, but considering your wildly fluctuating emotional state, I don't attribute your opinion on that matter much weight.

And I actually do kind of like you. You're like a little yappy dog that sometimes goes hysterical and barks ceaselessly at imaginary mailmen.

And you're a smartass. No matter how smart you think you are, s**t still comes out.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 12:00 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

And you're a smartass. No matter how smart you think you are, s**t still comes out.

This is getting out of hand. Both you guys are basically decent sorts, could you possibly go back and delete at least some of what you've just said?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 12:03 pm

You will hear no argument from me with regards to me being a smartass. And I wouldn't ever want to be so smart as to have s**t not come out. Constipation is a b***h.

I once opened a fortune cookie, and the note read "You are exactly as great as you think you are". How did the cookie know? 8O

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 12:54 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
one nuke was necessary, two was too much (IIRC the japanese government was already moving to surrender before the second bomb dropped)

B.S. They had agreed to surrender before the first bomb.

How? Where's the document? I would like to read it. Can you tell me where it's located? It's part of history, it should be available to the public.

Go to the war memorial at Hiroshima.

Are you fekkin kidding me? Where in the US can I view these documents?

You go to Palestine, join the rebels and report back.

General Douglas MacArthur

"The Potsdam declaration in July, demand[ed]that Japan surrender unconditionally or face ‘prompt and utter destruction.’ MacArthur was appalled. He knew that the Japanese would never renounce their emperor, and that without him an orderly transition to peace would be impossible anyhow, because his people would never submit to Allied occupation unless he ordered it. Ironically, when the surrender did come, it was conditional, and the condition was a continuation of the imperial reign. Had the General’s advice been followed, the resort to atomic weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki might have been unnecessary."

All the US had to do was allow the Emperor to stay on as token figure and Japan would have surrendered. As that was the deal after the bombs anyway. The dropping of the bombs was unnecessary and indefensible.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 1:00 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:

Children were raped and their screams were played to their parents as torture.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 2:10 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
one nuke was necessary, two was too much (IIRC the japanese government was already moving to surrender before the second bomb dropped)

B.S. They had agreed to surrender before the first bomb.

How? Where's the document? I would like to read it. Can you tell me where it's located? It's part of history, it should be available to the public.

Go to the war memorial at Hiroshima.

Are you fekkin kidding me? Where in the US can I view these documents?

You go to Palestine, join the rebels and report back.

General Douglas MacArthur

"The Potsdam declaration in July, demand[ed]that Japan surrender unconditionally or face ‘prompt and utter destruction.’ MacArthur was appalled. He knew that the Japanese would never renounce their emperor, and that without him an orderly transition to peace would be impossible anyhow, because his people would never submit to Allied occupation unless he ordered it. Ironically, when the surrender did come, it was conditional, and the condition was a continuation of the imperial reign. Had the General’s advice been followed, the resort to atomic weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki might have been unnecessary."

All the US had to do was allow the Emperor to stay on as token figure and Japan would have surrendered. As that was the deal after the bombs anyway. The dropping of the bombs was unnecessary and indefensible.

Well, Saddam was toppled from power because letting him stay would have meant the same Iraq. So, my guess is that in Truman's eyes, the same Emperor would have meant the same Japan. And the general was not the President...

I don't think people much care what either one of us think. We are not in power.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 2:34 pm

The way it tries to represent itself as "the world conscience". The not so nice secrets you're not supposed to mention, the conformism and uniformity, the attitude towards food and alcohol :lol: . I like my adoptive country a lot better, it's the only home I've ever had :)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Nov 2019, 2:39 pm

I think the most stupid and dysfunctional thing about my country is - people are so used to fighting and resisting persecutions and forming conspirations and dying heroes or surviving by a hair that we just can't function in peace and prosperity that suddenly came. Our culture is completely unadapted to it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 2:46 pm

magz wrote:
I think the most stupid and dysfunctional thing about my country is - people are so used to fighting and resisting persecutions and forming conspirations and dying heroes or surviving by a hair that we just can't function in peace and prosperity that suddenly came. Our culture is completely unadapted to it.

Sounds almost autistic - fight or flight being your default, familiar options.