Page 5 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

However you define it, just how important is being "Woke" to you?
If you're not Woke, you're worthless. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
It's important, but not all-important. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Woke, schmoke ... where's my ice cream? 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Unimportant, but worth knowing about. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Completely unimportant. 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

jordanalmokdad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2019, 2:44 pm

being 'woke' has its limits and contradicts its very meaning of being metaphorically awake. global scale awareness has no boundaries or limits, it doesn't reach a curtain distance or length of time , you can do anything with it... sing it, spit it, warp it, twist it, share it, converse it, debate it, turn it inside out, drop it into another galaxy, surf into the sun with it. our time on this planet has no limits and you can express it however the f**k you want... if your just 'woke'... well... if 'woke' is a popular term then other people are supposedly 'woke', it drains the originality of what can be created with a bit of awareness and is just another tool to make you think you know whats going on, so you can turn against another 'woke' group of people, creating a chain reaction of 'woke' groups who think they know... but they don't. take Kate Tempest for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4qGLDkK9TA she doesnt make any sense in her words yet describes the world better than anyone ever, shes a genius and she doesn't even know it... nobody knows whats going on and no one in the world even knows where they are, but you can become aware and express it in your own terms... you can't do much with being 'woke' but use it for your own ego and to make yourself think you know whats going on and to use it against another group of people... world war three... i think i just turned a bit 'woke' while typing this... har har. silliness.

as kate tempest says "welcome to the biggest crime thats ever been committed, think you and i are different, now were caught up in specifics." were just a bunch of biological machines on this planet, nothing else. we have divided each other through great lengths of time and space and ignorance.

i create my own music about the world but dont consider myself to be awake or asleep regarding the issue... no one can be sure and its the unsurity and the needing of comfort and safety that leads people to entering the illusion that they know... it's the whole god conundrum... who is the creator of this mass human creation thats eating up the planet... hundreds of religions turn against each other under the illusion that they are 'woke'/know whats what. how did the first ever grass seed get on planet earth that grew the first ever grass... no one will ever know and you cant just suddenly 'woke' to the answers that have been studied by thousands of philosophers and scientists, who them themselves have never found the true answers... they estimate and calculate and create theories but they don't even know and they certainly dont consider themselves as 'woke' ... if that makes sense....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 2:52 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Sanders and Warren's theme song … WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT PUT THE BLAME ON YOU
LoveNotHate wrote:
That's their shtick.

"YOU ARE A VICTIM".

"GET WOKE TO INJUSTICES"

If you take responsibility, then you aren't a victim, so, instead ...

Blame pay day loan vendors
Blame student loan service companies
Blame private equity groups
Blame hedge funds
Blame "greedy" speculators
Blame "failing" education system
Blame lack of investment
Blame corporate "greed"
Blame lack of regulation
Blame lack of product labeling
Blame trade deals
Blame your country
Blame rich people.
Blame your employer.
Blame Wall Street.
Blame Banks.
Blame Capitalism.
Blame Free Markets.
Blame foreign workers.
Blame your circumstances
Blame your parents
Blame BABY BOOMERS.
Blame conservatives
Blame ANYONE OR ANYTHING THAT HAS MONEY (except yourself)
LoveNotHate wrote:
"WOKE" means you realize that INJUSTICE IS EVERYWHERE.

EVERY SECOND of EVERY DAY …. you're possibly a VICTIM

-oppression
-ageism, sexism, racism, intolerance, zenophonia, LGBT phobia
-Microaggressions
-Microinsults
-Microinvalidations
-Microassults

An expensive car drives past you … that's a micro-aggression … that rich person is saying, "I AM BETTER THAN YOU".
Weird.

I don't usually agree with you, but from what I've observed, this seems spot-on and expresses everything about the "Woke" culture that needs to be expressed. It's as if someone had crossed every "Poor Me" Snowflake with every "In Your Face" Social Justice Warrior and decanted some hideously mutated multi-headed creature, named it "Woke", and sent it hell-bent on destroying civilization as we know it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 3:45 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
"WOKE" means you realize that INJUSTICE IS EVERYWHERE.

EVERY SECOND of EVERY DAY …. you're possibly a VICTIM

-oppression
-ageism, sexism, racism, intolerance, zenophonia, LGBT phobia
-Microaggressions
-Microinsults
-Microinvalidations
-Microassults

An expensive car drives past you … that's a micro-aggression … that rich person is saying, "I AM BETTER THAN YOU".

So what's the term for someone ignorant enough to pretend injustice isn't everywhere? :lol:

Recognizing that injustice exists in the world, or even that one has been impacted by injustice doesn't mean one is either ignoring their own responsibility to themselves to do the best they can with the circumstances they've been provided. It merely means they also recognize society can do better. I guess by your definition anyone who believes society can be improved is a helpless victim just idly waiting for someone to fix things for them; but luckily that's not the worldview the people you think you're describing hold.

Let me know if you ever tire of building strawmen to argue about, maybe you'll finally have a post worth the time to read and respond to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 3:56 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Really? You're welcome to imagine this, but I'd really like you to substantiate this claim if you think it's a valid and convincing argument to make . Insisting people you disagree with have an ideological opposition to personal responsibility and actually making the case that they do aren't the same thing.

That's their shtick.

"YOU ARE A VICTIM".

"GET WOKE TO INJUSTICES"

Blame hedge funds
Blame lack of investment
Blame corporate "greed"
Blame lack of regulation
Blame trade deals
Blame your country
Blame rich people.
Blame your employer.
Blame Wall Street.
Blame Banks.
Blame Capitalism.
Blame Free Markets.
Blame foreign workers.
Blame your circumstances
Blame your parents
Blame BABY BOOMERS.
Blame conservatives

You forgot white people and Christians.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 4:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Okay...

Blame Christians.
Blame men.
Blame white people.
BLAME THE PATRIARCHY!!

There ... better?

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 6:21 pm

I don't think being woke is all that important. I also think the word, woke sounds very stupid.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Okay...

Blame Christians.
Blame men.
Blame white people.
BLAME THE PATRIARCHY!!

There ... better?

:D

How can we forget, blame NT's

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 6:24 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Really? You're welcome to imagine this, but I'd really like you to substantiate this claim if you think it's a valid and convincing argument to make . Insisting people you disagree with have an ideological opposition to personal responsibility and actually making the case that they do aren't the same thing.

That's their shtick.

"YOU ARE A VICTIM".

"GET WOKE TO INJUSTICES"

Blame hedge funds
Blame lack of investment
Blame corporate "greed"
Blame lack of regulation
Blame trade deals
Blame your country
Blame rich people.
Blame your employer.
Blame Wall Street.
Blame Banks.
Blame Capitalism.
Blame Free Markets.
Blame foreign workers.
Blame your circumstances
Blame your parents
Blame BABY BOOMERS.
Blame conservatives

Blame immigrants
Blame liberals
blame jews
blame Muslims
blame foreign competition

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 7:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Blame immigrants
Blame liberals
blame jews
blame Muslims

The goal of this is to get MONEY and POWER.

So, typically, only groups with money or power are blamed.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Nov 2019, 7:36 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Blame immigrants
Blame liberals
blame jews
blame Muslims

The goal of this is to get MONEY and POWER.

So, typically, only groups with money or power are blamed.

Or the groups believed by some others to have money and power, no matter how falsely, it's all about blame and accusations, not facts, anyway.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brivae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2019, 11:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
So ... after much discussion in another thread about "Woke" memes, I began to wonder how important it really is to be "Woke".

Some define it as "The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue" (Urban Dictionary).

Others define it as "A cultural push to challenge problematic norms, systemic injustices and the overall status quo through complete awareness" (Raven Cras).

Still others define it as "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry, whether expressed or implied" (A general aggregation of opinions).

What do you think? Is being "Woke" important, or is it just another meme-of-the-year?

You may select one option, and you may change your selection at any time.

Oh dude, I totally thought this meant some form of spiritual awakening. I think in that context(spiritual) it’s a hoax and people who were truly in pursuit of those aspirations would be studying about spirituality and in school about topics relating to those matters.

In the contexts that you provided, I think it’s important to know that there are situations like that which do exist, still happen today, but at the same time if it is a conflict of interest to you then you don’t have to get involved in it, especially if it is against the law. It sounds contradictory and may be hypocritical to some, but if it stresses you out, is something that you were guilted into supporting, and it’s not something you are entirely comfortable with then you don’t need to be around it. People will use this to create change in their community but there are some people who will make a controversy of it.

There are cases that need to be shared with the public because there are incidences where things like racism, sexism, LGBTQ discrimination, etc., are methods of discrimination and it becomes hidden outside of the public eyes.

However, you should be aware of these issues, (if you want to be) because it’s also important to realize how fortunate and privileged some people are thinking about things like racial profiling, cultural boundaries, Education & Social Status, and sex/gender privileges, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 9:28 am

Brivae wrote:
... In the contexts that you provided, I think it's important to know that there are situations like that which do exist, still happen today, but at the same time if it is a conflict of interest to you then you don't have to get involved in it, especially if it is against the law. It sounds contradictory and may be hypocritical to some, but if it stresses you out, is something that you were guilt-tripped into supporting, and it's not something you are entirely comfortable with then you don't need to be around it. People will use this to create change in their community but there are some people who will make a controversy of it.

There are cases that need to be shared with the public because there are incidences where things like racism, sexism, LGBTQ discrimination, etc., are methods of discrimination and it becomes hidden outside of the public eyes.

However, you should be aware of these issues, (if you want to be) because it’s also important to realize how fortunate and privileged some people are thinking about things like racial profiling, cultural boundaries, Education & Social Status, and sex/gender privileges, etc.
Sure, and it is important to be aware of actual instances of discrimination, but when it seems that practically anything a person does is somehow discriminatory (i.e., buying a new car, wearing nice clothes, eating at a nice restaurant -- all insults against the poor and the homeless), then the whole idea of being "woke" has gone too far.

For instance, I received word this morning (via a hand-scrawled note under a windshield wiper) that displaying an American flag on Veteran's Day (because I am a veteran) constitutes discrimination against both non-veterans and non-citizens alike.

What next?  Having a permanent, fixed address is somehow discrimination against the homeless ... ?

:roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 9:57 am

You live in a nutty neighborhood, Fnord.

That person who scrawled that note has nothing better to do.

It's effin Veteran's Day, for crying out loud!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You live in a nutty neighborhood, Fnord.  That person who scrawled that note has nothing better to do.  It's effin Veteran's Day, for crying out loud!
My neighborhood is full of "effin" Millennials, too.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:45 am

Being alive is offensive and discriminatory to the corporeally challenged.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:49 am

Engaging in sesquipedalian discourse is anathema to the vocubularily challenged.