Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

However you define it, just how important is being "Woke" to you?
If you're not Woke, you're worthless. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
It's important, but not all-important. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Woke, schmoke ... where's my ice cream? 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Unimportant, but worth knowing about. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Completely unimportant. 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

magz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
if you are white, and you know a bunch of black people, and these people tell you about their experiences with racism, then I do believe that you know how racism affects black people.

I am one of those people. I've known many black people. My wife is black. Quite a few previous girlfriends were black. They tell me about their life experiences.

I'm not some white guy in the Ivory Tower, talking about the ideology of "white privilege." "White privilege" does not benefit most whites. It's a bullshit ideology, for the most part.

I think you take the right approach, Kraftie.

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 11:55 am

Have the "woke" embraced more of a hyyge lifestyle than the SJW?

Quote:
hygge
/ˈh(j)uːɡə,ˈhʊɡə/
noun
a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).
"why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?"

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 12:08 pm

domineekee wrote:
Have the "woke" embraced more of a hyyge lifestyle than the SJW?
Quote:
hygge
/ˈh(j)uːɡə,ˈhʊɡə/
noun
a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).
"why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?"

Quote:
adjectiveINFORMAL•US
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

Ok, it's the same thing

magz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 12:26 pm

domineekee wrote:
Quote:
adjectiveINFORMAL•US
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

Ok, it's the same thing

I much prefer things Connie Lightner, mother of one of the best climbers in North America tries to promote...
Quote:
CXC: What are the most important things you can teach a child?

CL: As a parent, I think our primary job is to help our kids develop all of the tools that they will need to be successful in life. This includes instilling the value of education, discipline, and hard work. I believe it’s equally important to teach them that although success should always be the goal, failure is inevitable. It’s usually an unspoken part of the road to success. The people that make it to the top have often mastered the skill of learning from their disappointments, while continuing to push ahead. For Kai, the importance of humility and being a good person has always been an overarching theme, while trying to teach him all of these life skills. As the saying goes, “To he who much is given, much is required.” Kai is always reminded of his responsibility to give back.

http://cruxcrush.com/2014/11/18/intervi ... -kais-mom/

I can't find the interview in which she described actual racism - not in the white-dominated climbing community, she says climbers don't care for your skin color, they care for how you climb - but in some random gas station or store. All the shopkeeper could see was an athletic black teenager. He couldn't see he was a straight-A student. And the storekeeper reacted accordingly to stereotypes about athletic black teenagers, not accordingly to truth about Kai :(

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 3:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person. Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.
Lately, being 'woke' means the average, in the greatest shape of their lives women are no longer able to win in a sport due to competing against biological men, in the best shape of their lives, who identify as women. I don't like that.
Really, can you cite a recent example? Are bio-women suddenly being dominated by transwomen at the Olympics?
Rachel McKinnon, a biological Male who represents as a Woman, won the Women's world record in the qualifying event October 19th, 2019.
You are going to see this happen progressively more often as progressively more transwomen enter athletic competitions.
The price of being "woke," I guess. I hope the left is happy.
Why should it matter? As far as I know, no one on this website is being deprived of a gold medal in athletics just because someone else has an unfair hormonal or anatomical advantage.
Because you can't honestly claim to be woke if you're okay with a biological man who identifies as a woman quashing the hopes and dreams of female athletes.  This is happening everywhere. Biological girls in HS are having to wrestle biological males who identify as girls.  Are you telling me that you've never known or will know a young girl with hope of an athletic scholarship? Geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site?
I never claimed to be "woke". In fact, I think the whole idea of being "woke" is a Millenialist hoax put on by people who place all of the blame for their own failures on successful people. I've known girls and boys who hoped to get into college on athletic scholarships and were denied admission because of their grades -- their academics were borderline failure, while other athletes with better grades received the scholarships.

This is aside from the fact that children are in school to focus on learning, and not on playing games -- there is far too much emphasis on sports than there should be.

And insulting me because I do not agree with you will not bring me any closer to your point of view.

Althletics may be the only hope some have of college. There are only so many scholastic performance scholarship. If you think, "geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site," is an insult, you don't know me. But, whatever it takes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 4:01 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Althletics may be the only hope some have of college.
Athletic scholarships are wasted on those who cannot cope with scholastics.  We would all be better off if they were abolished.  That way, students would be more incentivized to actually study and do homework instead of run around and chase balls.
Persephone29 wrote:
There are only so many scholastic performance scholarships.
That's because of the availability of athletic scholarships -- get rid of athletic scholarships and offer more academic scholarships instead, especially in STEM courses.  That way, our colleges would not have classrooms taken up with slackers.
Persephone29 wrote:
If you think, "geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site," is an insult, you don't know me. But, whatever it takes.
I don't know you, you don't know me, and what you posted was an insult directed to me.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 4:23 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Being aware and concerned about social injustice is a potential sign someone is a decent person.
Being hostile to concerns about social injustice is a strong indicator that someone isn't worth my time or consideration.

Lately, being 'woke' means the average, in the greatest shape of their lives women are no longer able to win in a sport due to competing against biological men, in the best shape of their lives, who identify as women. I don't like that.

Really, can you cite a recent example? Are bio-women suddenly being dominated by transwomen at the Olympics?

Rachel McKinnon, a biological Male who represents as a Woman, won the Women's world record in the qualifying event October 19th, 2019.

So, should a transgender athlete not be allowed to compete, or be forced to deny their identity; or perhaps is this an issue the governing body might need to better address, but in the meantime they're dealing with it to the best of their ability.

Unless a category is introduced for non-binary, intersex and transgender competitors, the governing body has no real option but to allow transgender athletes to compete under the gender they identify as or ban them or demand they compete in the wrong category. Out of the three options, the first is the least problematic even if it makes the odd transphobic bigot whine. Going back to the not-so-good-old-days isn't an option.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 5:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, should a transgender athlete not be allowed to compete, or be forced to deny their identity; or perhaps is this an issue the governing body might need to better address, but in the meantime they're dealing with it to the best of their ability.

Unless a category is introduced for non-binary, intersex and transgender competitors, the governing body has no real option but to allow transgender athletes to compete under the gender they identify as or ban them or demand they compete in the wrong category. Out of the three options, the first is the least problematic even if it makes the odd transphobic bigot whine. Going back to the not-so-good-old-days isn't an option.
Either the judges engage in gender discrimination by barring trans-gendered women from competition with cis-gendered women, or they allow the competitions to go on and risk cis-gendered women losing more often.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

magz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 3:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Either the judges engage in gender discrimination by barring trans-gendered women from competition with cis-gendered women, or they allow the competitions to go on and risk cis-gendered women losing more often.

So, either one group gets systematically disadvantaged, or the other.
Or we make another category of sport competition for the nonbinary and it gets instantly dominated by biological males.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 4:46 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Althletics may be the only hope some have of college.
Athletic scholarships are wasted on those who cannot cope with scholastics.  We would all be better off if they were abolished.  That way, students would be more incentivized to actually study and do homework instead of run around and chase balls.
Persephone29 wrote:
There are only so many scholastic performance scholarships.
That's because of the availability of athletic scholarships -- get rid of athletic scholarships and offer more academic scholarships instead, especially in STEM courses.  That way, our colleges would not have classrooms taken up with slackers.
Persephone29 wrote:
If you think, "geez, I thought you were one of the brains on this site," is an insult, you don't know me. But, whatever it takes.
I don't know you, you don't know me, and what you posted was an insult directed to me.

The two are not mutually exclusive. A student can be smart and athletic. If the scholarships for intellectual performance run out, the althelic scholarships can pick up the slack. If the young person is motivated, I see no reason to quibble about how they reach their goal.

It's not my responsibility how you interpret my words, if you want it to be an insult, take it as one. No skin off my nose...

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 4:55 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I say give them a choice. They can either choose to compete against other transgenders, or their biological sex. Surely being transgender hasn't addled their wits. Most of us just do the best with what we have, I think it's time we require the same thing of transgenders. For all intents and purposes, Transgender male to female are turning themselves into a superior physical race. They need to compete against other superiors, not stack the deck and consider themselves victorious when all that's really happened is a biological male outperformed a biological female.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 5:02 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
The word itself just sounds stupid.

Yep. If they're trying to make people take social issues seriously they need a more sensible sounding word.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 5:05 am

Fnord wrote:

Are there any stat's on that? I've heard reports of trans women winning competitions but those alone weren't enough to determine if trans women win disproportionately often.

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 7:00 am

Quote:
While in my 20s, I ran a marathon in 2:23, and later transitioned to female. Within nine months of starting hormone therapy in 2004, I was running 12% slower; serious male runners are 10-12% faster than equally serious female ones. In 2015, I published a study of eight trans women distance runners who competed at a similar level as men before transition and as women after transition. To be clear, this is a small study of only one sport.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/apr/01/sports-transgender-debate-compromise-not-conflict

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 7:15 am

Has anyone been pitting boomers and millennials against each other, or has this all come about as a result of rising house prices and other economic factors? Weren't the boomers a revolutionary generation back in the day, and isn't it inevitable that this generation will also become the establishment? Where does all the animosity come from, are previous generations just more complacent? Are we (generalisation) pompous? I sometimes think so.