Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 10:50 am

The British, the English particularly, seem to feel that they are hurting the Germans by leaving the European Union. In reality, they may indeed be hurting themselves most of all. Once the United Kingdom is out, then the United Kingdom itself, I deeply fear, will disassemble into its component countries: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Breaks my heart to ponder it!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

I don't feel like Brexit would benefit the UK any economically; it might screw them up.

It was a nationalistic thing, first and foremost.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 11:18 am

Besides the fact that British handymen didn't want competition from itinerate handymen from Poland (who worked cheaper) I never could figure out why you Brits voted for Brexit. The handyman constituency cant be a deciding voting bloc.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:06 pm

I think a lot of wealthy people see it as being an opportunity to increase their already large fortunes . For them it's the glorification of greed.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:28 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I think a lot of wealthy people see it as being an opportunity to increase their already large fortunes . For them it's the glorification of greed.

Right, as usual, Mr Firemonkey.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:38 pm

How would Brexit make the British rich get any richer than they would get without Brexit?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:45 pm

I think they have a future. Whether or not it’s in the EU, I am not sure.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't feel like Brexit would benefit the UK any economically; it might screw them up.

I always thought Brexit was mostly about trade.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:52 pm

They'll find a way to exploit any shortages that will occur .

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:12 pm

All the big banks and bankers, the IMF and pretty much all of the big corporations wanted us to stay in. All the neoliberals and metropolitan elites in London wanted us to stay in. But the working class and majority of the British public did not. Those with least in society and basically nothing voted for it because doing the same thing and expecting a different result is madness. And those with nothing don't have much to lose.

Most of the tripe in this thread is beyond ignorance. We were put in the Common Market without being asked. We had a botched referendum in 1975 where people were lied to far more. The Labour party's official position in the 1980's under Michael Foot was to leave what then was the EEC. But he lost to Thatcher and then crooked Kinnock took over. Then after the Maastricht Treaty in the early 90's, where again the UK was signed up to something without being asked. Lots of Conservatives now wanted to leave what became the EU. Then in 2009 we were signed up to the Lisbon Treaty without being asked again. Ireland voted against it but then were asked to vote again. David Cameron promised a referendum in 2010 but didn't give one cause he was in a coalition with the Liberal Democrats. Then we finally got it in 2016.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:39 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
All the big banks and bankers, the IMF and pretty much all of the big corporations wanted us to stay in. All the neoliberals and metropolitan elites in London wanted us to stay in. But the working class and majority of the British public did not. Those with least in society and basically nothing voted for it because doing the same thing and expecting a different result is madness. And those with nothing don't have much to lose.

Most of the tripe in this thread is beyond ignorance.

Another woefully unintelligent post from you . I am neither neoliberal or one of the metropolitan elite living in London . It is the disabled and poor that will be hit hardest by Brexit .

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:39 pm

20% individual tax rate at a mere £12,500 of employment income
40% individual tax rate at a mere £50,000 of employment income
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_ ... ed_Kingdom

I assume there's plenty of other taxes and fees, like sales tax, VAT tax ….

It seems most British life is about staying poor.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 2:02 pm

firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

Another woefully unintelligent post from you . I am neither neoliberal or one of the metropolitan elite living in London . It is the disabled and poor that will be hit hardest by Brexit .

The poorest voted to leave. How will leaving the EU hurt the disabled?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 2:36 pm

I think the United States actually created the European Union, in order to punish not only Germany, but Europeans in general, for The Second World war. But, especially Germany. Besides, I also suspect that it was only after Russia got the Atomic Bomb that Americans even thought of rebuilding German cities, via, the US Marshall Plan. After all, Germany is about the only other country, in all of Europe, that Americans hate as much as Americans hate Russia!

Americans are awful sore about the number of US Soldiers, and other US Military personnel, who died in The Second World War. Mind you, it is really sick. After all, other countries lost more soldiers. Notice, in the US Media, the constant harping and harping and harping about The Second World War. When will it ever stop? I wonder!

What do the rest of you think? I would really like to know!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 2:43 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

The poorest voted to leave. How will leaving the EU hurt the disabled?

Impact on social care.

https://www.vodg.org.uk/news/government ... re-sector/

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 2:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

We are living in a Post British Dark Age. We have been since 1914!