Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2019, 3:18 pm

Now, the Hippie Movement was really interesting. After all, it was much like McCarthyism. Only instead of going around calling others Communists, the Hippies referred to those they disagreed with as Nazis. Not much difference!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 3:28 pm

You were born at the end of the "Hippie Era", so how would you know?  Most of the ones I knew personally were not so much interested in social issues as they were in getting high, getting laid, and getting out of The Draft.  Otherwise, they were just rebels without a clue.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 5:54 pm

They didn't usually call people they disagreed with "Nazis."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:19 pm

Well... A small number of hippies,- the German hippies, who followed the American trend - were actually factually correct in calling everyone older than 30 a Nazi.
The hippies and the student protests against their Nazi parents are important for German history, as they dug up the dirt that post-war Germany had tried to sweep under the rug, and much of the country's reckoning with its history is thanks to hippies calling everyone else a nazi....

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

Even American hippies cared about human rights. They played a role in the Civil Rights and Women's Rights movements in this country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:23 pm

Yep...they certainly did.

That's a fact.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:25 pm

From a converse perspective, we're still recovering from the mess that WWII, the Baby Boom, the weird 1950s mentality, AND the hippies have done to America.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2019, 6:28 pm

They also were aware of how big a mistake the Vietnam War really was, which is WHY they were trying to dodge the draft. We were sending young boys fresh out of high school to get slaughtered and commit atrocious things in a country fighting for its own indepence from France colonists, all because of a lie.

Just like Iraq...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:34 pm

Some of them had a definite ideological reason for evading the draft. Some of them just didn't want to join the Armed Forces.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Some of them had a definite ideological reason for evading the draft. Some of them just didn't want to join the Armed Forces.

I don't blame anybody for wanting to dodge the draft. I mean, why should I be forced to risk my life and go through the hell of war for a country that supposedly is about freedom?

It's just like when they drafted black soldiers during WW2 to fight for a country that didn't even give them the right to vote. That's bull. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:40 pm

They had the right to vote.

Most of the Southern states just didn't want them to exercise that right. And they, effectively, denied them the right to vote----while they actually HAD the right to vote.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2019, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They had the right to vote.

Most of the Southern states just didn't want them to exercise that right. And they, effectively, denied them the right to vote----while they actually HAD the right to vote.

Well still they were denied other rights. Segregation and all that, plus they were paid less than white soldiers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 7:10 pm

TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:
They also were aware of how big a mistake the Vietnam War really was, which is WHY they were trying to dodge the draft. We were sending young boys fresh out of high school to get slaughtered and commit atrocious things in a country fighting for its own indepence from France colonists, all because of a lie.

Just like Iraq...

The French left Vietnam in 1954 in utter defeat after the battle of Diem Bien Phu. What lie?
Unlike today's youth, the hippies of the sixties knew what real Nazi's were. It was not a term that was bandied about casually.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 7:12 pm

I can say one thing related to Hippies and probably my favorite line from the TV show 30 Rock: "Never go with a Hippie to a second location."

Brilliant, hilarious and wise advice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 7:16 pm

You had many different types of hippies.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2019, 7:32 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:

Just like Iraq...

The French left Vietnam in 1954 in utter defeat after the battle of Diem Bien Phu. What lie?
Unlike today's youth, the hippies of the sixties knew what real Nazi's were. It was not a term that was bandied about casually.

THIS lie!

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproj ... e-war-iraq