Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:10 pm

"Whites can not be victims of racism" What the hell does this mean?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:13 pm

I don't feel that "white" people are necessarily the most attractive people. They could be.....or they might not be....

My wife happens to be black. And quite a few of my previous girlfriends were either black or Hispanic. I had a fiancee who was white-Jewish, though.

I live in neighborhood where I, as a white person, is in the minority. It's very safe where I am. I can keep my door and car unlocked (though I don't actually do that, just in case). Many people leave their doors and cars open. And this is in Queens, New York City.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2019, 6:14 pm

If all us whities killed ourselves would that make everyone feel better?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:19 pm

I don't think he means that....I don't think this guy hates white people. And if he did, which I highly doubt, it would be best to ignore him.

I just think he sort of generalizes when he says that all white people, because they are white, are "privileged" in some way.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2019, 6:41 pm

Sometimes I do get the feeling that we are hated that much. I mean, I do understand WHY some people hate white people. But it bothers me... :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:48 pm

I don't really find too much "hatred" of white people by either white people or nonwhite people. And really almost none, actually, from white people.

You get some irritation with white people from "minorities," though. But not "hatred." Too strong a word for what I experience.

Most of the time, this form of "hatred" emanates from disheveled people who ride the subways.

This "white privilege" thing is more a political stance, based on past history, than an actual statement of "hate" for white people.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 9:38 am

To look at white and assign 'privilege' is similar, but not the same as saying 'death' automatically equates 'murder.' Yes, the color is white, but did the color set out to have an absence of color? Does the white pay attention to it's lack of color? Does the white use it's lack of color to get what it wants? If the answer is no, then the problem does not lie with the lack of color, it lies with those who notice the lack of color.

If someone grants privilege based on color, it's their issue, not the issue of the color that just walked in. When are we going to start blaming institutions instead of colors? If we carry on this condemnation outside of institutions, we are no different than they are.

Everyone gets mad a white people, but what average white youth just wakes up and says, 'today, I am going to use my lily white ass to f**k every person of color over on the whole planet!?" Nobody! Stop allowing anyone (including whites) any special dispensation. As soon as everyone gets the message that color no longer helps or hurts, it could help to resolve some racism. It sure couldn't hurt.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:11 am

Of course POS can be racist too, are they saying Chinese people can't be racist against another minority or Japanese or Caucasians, Jamaicans, etc.?

What would people call it if someone was being judged for being white? Maybe give it another name then. Perhaps give it another name when the minority are racist against another minority.

I have never experienced this for my skin color because the majority are white. I have never met another white person who has expressed their hatred of white people but I have seen a black person who had hatred against her own skin color and expressed how much she hated her culture and black people. So yes you can be racist against your own kind and I have seen a 16 year old like that too on the Dr. Phil show.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2019, 10:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
I have never met another white person who has expressed their hatred of white people

I have, my 6th grade teacher was such a person.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:30 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Everyone gets mad a white people, but what average white youth just wakes up and says, 'today, I am going to use my lily white ass to f**k every person of color over on the whole planet!?" Nobody! Stop allowing anyone (including whites) any special dispensation. As soon as everyone gets the message that color no longer helps or hurts, it could help to resolve some racism. It sure couldn't hurt.

Who gets mad at white people as a whole? It is not what is happening when people talk about white privilege. Indeed, white privilege is usually something levied towards institutions or cultural aspects of systematic racism. It does not mean that all white people get a sports car, it means more along the lines that a white person is less likely to be shot in their backyard because their phone apparently looks like a gun in the dark. It is probably not even all encompassing in areas where a white person might find themselves a target of discrimination, but it is car more prevalent.

It would be like how I, as a white Australian, would probably be less targeted by police in America than born there Americans. Who would the Charlottesville riots and people who like Confederate flags/monuments be more likely to treat better?

It is fine and dandy to say lets all just stop seeing colour to solve everything, but if not careful in making certain talking points taboo, you silence awareness of biases that are subconscious. But what do I even get much to say, because I have never experienced racism. But, I can unfortunately confess to times I felt a little more afraid when walking and a person with dark skin passes me by, even though I know it is a BS way to feel more than another person, and it makes me feel awful whether something I had little control of from whatever sources, may have been perceived by that other person.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:38 am

I think we white people really are evil and to blame for everything that's wrong with the world, but I still think it was good when someone pointed out that most people in Scotland are white, which was the reason why all the women in a Miss Scotland beauty pageant were white, and reminded the OP who was sarcastic about the "diversity" in the image that in China most people are Chinese.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 10:48 am

I understand "institutionalized" racism very well. I've studied it. And I believe it existed. And I believe it still exists.

But people sometimes use the "white privilege" thing to devalue people who have been through quite a bit. There are white people who have been through quite a bit. Telling them that their experiences are somehow (at least somewhat) invalid because they are "white and privileged" is telling them something that is probably not true.

I have been the recipient of "white privilege" in that I've been able to use a restaurant bathroom where a black person might be denied the use of that bathroom. This sort of thing happens all the time.

But I do not feel that I am, primarily, a recipient of "white privilege." I've worked to "get where I am." And I got there in a primarily "minority" environment.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can't watch the video now.

I do believe "white privilege" exists.

Just like "male privilege" existed back in Victorian days.

And many other "privileges" in the past: like "yeoman privilege" vis-à-vis the serfs.

But to harp on it, and let it affect how you view things and people......I find that to be counterproductive.

Now it's female privilege that exists. I have seen the gender bias and if you were to reverse the roles, everyone would be saying the man is abusive, not the woman. That means women can do things that men wouldn't be able to get away with. Women can also make money off their bodies and kinks. I also notice misandry is acceptable than misogyny. Men are branded as predators so they can get accused of pedophilia or get accused of sexual harassment but if the woman did the same thing, no accusation there. Just another example of gender bias and that creates female privilege.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:19 am

TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I have never met another white person who has expressed their hatred of white people

These people have the be the minority I wonder if they have some sort of mental illness.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 11:24 am

I think everyone has privileges. If you are white, you have white privilege but you might not have class privilege or NT privilege or cis privilege or straight privilege. If you are black, you might have straight privilege and class privilege, and so on.

But unfortunately people use this term to invalidate others problems and that is why people take issue with this word.

The more privilege you have, the more naive you are. You can tell people have privilege just by things they say so they are making themselves sound stupid and ignorant and perhaps a bigot. That is why this is all being challenged because it's important for everyone to know their privileges.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2019, 11:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

These people have the be the minority I wonder if they have some sort of mental illness.

I don't think it's hard to believe that some white peoole might come to hate their own race when they're told about the many atrocious things that European settlers have done to other races around the world. Like genocide, slavery, stealing land from indiginous people, oppressing minorities, etc.

I'll be honest sometimes I actually DO feel ashamed of being white, not that I hate all white people and think that they deserve to be punished just for being white. I mean we're all human. :|