Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:58 pm

I've been thinking a lot about how Christianity relates to Asperger's. Many on the spectrum see ASD as in opposition to Christianity because Christian Churches are perceived to be judgmental and encouraging of groupthink and dogma, which we are inherently opposed to.

But I believe that the Christian faith fits with ASD well. It stresses companionship and community, which we frequently lack. It reminds us that we are sinners, but we deserve love anyways as long as we love God and our neighbor back. It /should/ stress lack of judgement, gossip, etc, although these things do occur anyways, but ime at lower rates than in the secular population. It tells us that God loves each and every one of us so much that He would die for only us if He had to.

Even if we fall, we get back up again. And even if we sin, if we desire to love one another and repent, we are forgiven. It's so, so hard sometimes to get by when you keep resolving that you'll never make another faux paus, that you'll never accidentally offend anyone or make them uncomfortable again, and then do so without meaning to. I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't try to get better. But the message of Christianity is that we deserve love and respect as long as we are genuinely trying. It also teaches us that God is not aloof and distant, but was made Man because He loved us so much. Basically, we are saved by faith and the Grace of God, which manifests as love, which manifests as works. But we do not judge others based on their works, because they are only judged for what is in their hearts.

I know that I have a good heart. I know that it is very, very hard sometimes for others to see it, or even for myself to see it. I know that I don't have the wisdom to always make it apparent. I know that I'll probably keep struggling and repenting for a long time, if not the rest of my life. But I've accepted that as a universal. All of my fellow Christians struggle like this in some way.

I was at a talk the other day with a Christian psychologist who told us that the key to mental health is accepting ambiguity. We have to know that we don't know. He even said that he doesn't tell his patients that things will get better, because they might get hit by a bus on their way back. They just have to live with ambiguity, struggling and getting back up again and trusting in God without worrying about what is going to happen in the future. (I also have OCD, so this was huge for me to hear.)

I don't know if this is all good and coherent. I just felt that the philosophy of Christianity of embracing ambiguity, paradox, and struggle instead of resisting it can be beneficial to Aspies and mental health if portrayed correctly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 3:36 pm

There are quite a few autistic people here who are Christians----that's for sure.

Dixie88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2019, 4:25 pm

Your post is good and coherent. You are a talented writer. I have been a Christian since age 18 and was only this past week diagnosed as having "high functioning autism/or Asperger's" (SP)
God has helped me through Numerous traumas, temptations, failures. I did finish college (by working 2-3 jobs each semester, graduated with no debt). But it took me 7 years. I had a "nervous breakdown" in my first year of college and had to take a semester off. I would also over-take: sign up for 21 credits, 2 jobs (or 3) and all these projects (art, dance, etc.) My Christian friends would pray with me to be healed. But the symptoms remained (freaking out if too noisy environment/too much light; not understanding how to relate to "normal" people; saying things that other people thought were outrageous; needing to get up out of my seat 100 times/hour etc.)
At 18, a psychiatrist diag. me as having schizophrenia but after 3 months, he said "I don't know what this is but Jesus is helping her."
My mother (an RN) said "But she MUST stay on the Haldol!" (the doctor took me off meds)
My father said "No drugs, this is a spiritual thing." Dad claimed to be an atheist but he was 1/3 Cherokee. He had a lot of unusual spiritual beliefs. He later went back to his Christian faith.
So I grew up with a pagan Native American outlook.
However, I could "see" Jesus from age 4 on up. Jesus gave me peace. It upset my father because he had lost his faith during WWII: awful PTSD. His father was a minister & Dad was expected to become a preacher.
So when I got saved at age 18, my parents both thought I'd be healed of my "weirdness." My sister was my greatest ally but she died young. My brother became a Christian but Very judgemental, OT type. To him, my brain problems are "proof that you don't pray enough" or "proof that your faith is weak."
I am in JOY when I dance/pray. No matter what circumstances life has me in.
:heart: I play the flute & dance around while being connected to God.
So yes, I'm a devout Christian. Who also is "on the spectrum" (rainbow!) I wish to Heavens this had been a diagnosis when I was little (in the 50s)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 5:04 pm

I don't know where I am as in regards to if I am on the spectrum or not, but I can say that I am a Christian. :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 5:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are quite a few autistic people here who are Christians----that's for sure.

We are trying to convince you Kraftie! Haha! :D
Don't worry Kraftie. Feel safe to know that there is nothing I can do to make you a Christian. That is between God and you. I realized many years ago that as a Christian, no one can convert others as God has to be involved. Only God can do that. People can't. Why? Because it is all about the heart.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 12:44 am

I am. (Lutheran to be specific)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 1:32 am

Catholic and autistic.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 10:54 am

Yes, Christian here. I will be okay at any church that worships the I am though.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 11:00 am

It doesn't matter if you're Christian or not.

God is dead.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 11:11 am

babybird wrote:
It doesn't matter if you're Christian or not.

God is dead.

As in God literally was alive and then died? Why do you say that?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 11:21 am

Man created God.

Man killed God.