No 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 2:17 am

QFT wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Actually most mainline Protestants believe the same thing about Revelations as do Lutherans.

My background is Jewish and I came to believe in Jesus by online sites, so I guess I don't have an experience being raised this way. But when I either talk to Christians on dating sites, or read Christian websites, or come to churches, it seems like most people believe antichrist is in the future. Even Christian message boards have "end time chat" forum -- meaning we are at the end times and antichrist is about to come.

I met only one person that told me he believed in preterism -- the one who leads a bible study group at the university I am currently go to. So I was assuming he was the only one out of all the people I met. Perhaps my assumption is wrong: after all I wasn't asking every single person I met about it, I was just assuming they believe in the end times like I do. But my assumption was confirmed enough times to make it appear like a majority's belief.

Do you have any statistics how many percents of people believe revelation is in the future and how many percents believe it is in the past? I would prefer denomination-by-denomination statistics since I am sure numbers vary in different denominations and I would like to compare them.

By mainline Protestants, I'm referring to non-evangelical Protestants, such as Lutherans, Episcopalians/Anglicans, Congregationalists, Presbyterians, and others. From what you've written, it seems most of your contacts are with Baptists, Pentecostals, and other evangelical groups.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 2:26 am

Brivae wrote:
QFT wrote:
Personally I think he will. Antichrist will be an epitome of a pop culture and Christmas is very much part of it. What a slap on the face would it be when antichrist's followers will welcome Jesus with all their gingle bells only for Jesus to destroy them. Maybe that slap on their face will be part of their punishment?

I thought Antichrist was a branch of The Satan as in, someone who is against something. I guess it’s more specifically related to Christianity, but other religions celebrate Christmas too. The way I see it, everyone is for something, the person against the other person is the Antichrist. This makes everyone the Antichrist, but everyone still celebrates Christmas. So yes. Yes, AntiChrist does.

First of all, anti doesn't mean against it means in place of. In particular, antichrist will claim to be Christ. In this case, he will be FOR Christ -- I mean he is FOR himself, and he claims to be Christ so logic says he is FOR Christ. But the real Christ won't like it since he will be an imposter.

But even if "anti" did mean against; anti-something wouldn't imply anti-Christ since something is not Christ. So being anti-Hindu isn't anti-Christ. Only being anti-Christian would be anti-Christ.

But once again, that is "even if" clause. I still don't think anti is against. I think antichrist might be Christian since he will be Christs imposter and you can't be Christs imposter unless you are Christian. Although its possible he will be Jewish instead, since Jews wouldn't follow a Christian. But then how would Christians follow him if he won't be a Christian? Perhaps he will persuade people through miracles; Bible says he will call lightning from heaven to earth so that would be persuasive. In which case he can be either Christian or Jewish or any other religion and convert people through miracle. But yes Christianity is definitely in the list of the possibilities, which is the point.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 2:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
QFT wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Actually most mainline Protestants believe the same thing about Revelations as do Lutherans.

My background is Jewish and I came to believe in Jesus by online sites, so I guess I don't have an experience being raised this way. But when I either talk to Christians on dating sites, or read Christian websites, or come to churches, it seems like most people believe antichrist is in the future. Even Christian message boards have "end time chat" forum -- meaning we are at the end times and antichrist is about to come.

I met only one person that told me he believed in preterism -- the one who leads a bible study group at the university I am currently go to. So I was assuming he was the only one out of all the people I met. Perhaps my assumption is wrong: after all I wasn't asking every single person I met about it, I was just assuming they believe in the end times like I do. But my assumption was confirmed enough times to make it appear like a majority's belief.

Do you have any statistics how many percents of people believe revelation is in the future and how many percents believe it is in the past? I would prefer denomination-by-denomination statistics since I am sure numbers vary in different denominations and I would like to compare them.

By mainline Protestants, I'm referring to non-evangelical Protestants, such as Lutherans, Episcopalians/Anglicans, Congregationalists, Presbyterians, and others. From what you've written, it seems most of your contacts are with Baptists, Pentecostals, and other evangelical groups.

The last few months I was also watching youtube videos by Russian Orthodox that talk about the danger of biometric passports because they are the mark of the beast. So Russian Orthodox are even more vigilant than Evangelicals, since Evangelicals think microchip implant is the mark while E-passport is only a precursor but not really a mark, while Russian Orthodox think that E-passport is already a mark. But in any case, the point is that Russian Orthodox also clearly think antichrist is in the future -- despite the fact that they aren't evangelicals.

Also, a few weeks ago, I overheard a black waitress at the Dennys talk about Revelation so I asked her about it, and yes she believes we are at the end times and antichrist is coming. But she is Catholic. And, speaking of Catholics, back in 2001 I saw a website warning about microchip implant, and that website was ran by Catholics as well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 2:53 am

QFT wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
QFT wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The last few months I was also watching youtube videos by Russian Orthodox that talk about the danger of biometric passports because they are the mark of the beast. So Russian Orthodox are even more vigilant than Evangelicals, since Evangelicals think microchip implant is the mark while E-passport is only a precursor but not really a mark, while Russian Orthodox think that E-passport is already a mark. But in any case, the point is that Russian Orthodox also clearly think antichrist is in the future -- despite the fact that they aren't evangelicals.

Also, a few weeks ago, I overheard a black waitress at the Dennys talk about Revelation so I asked her about it, and yes she believes we are at the end times and antichrist is coming. But she is Catholic. And, speaking of Catholics, back in 2001 I saw a website warning about microchip implant, and that website was ran by Catholics as well.

I can't speak for the Orthodox faith, but those two women, and the website are not typical of Catholicism.

Brivae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2019, 3:12 am

QFT wrote:
Brivae wrote:
QFT wrote:
Personally I think he will. Antichrist will be an epitome of a pop culture and Christmas is very much part of it. What a slap on the face would it be when antichrist's followers will welcome Jesus with all their gingle bells only for Jesus to destroy them. Maybe that slap on their face will be part of their punishment?

I thought Antichrist was a branch of The Satan as in, someone who is against something. I guess it’s more specifically related to Christianity, but other religions celebrate Christmas too. The way I see it, everyone is for something, the person against the other person is the Antichrist. This makes everyone the Antichrist, but everyone still celebrates Christmas. So yes. Yes, AntiChrist does.

First of all, anti doesn't mean against it means in place of. In particular, antichrist will claim to be Christ. In this case, he will be FOR Christ -- I mean he is FOR himself, and he claims to be Christ so logic says he is FOR Christ. But the real Christ won't like it since he will be an imposter.

But even if "anti" did mean against; anti-something wouldn't imply anti-Christ since something is not Christ. So being anti-Hindu isn't anti-Christ. Only being anti-Christian would be anti-Christ.

But once again, that is "even if" clause. I still don't think anti is against. I think antichrist might be Christian since he will be Christs imposter and you can't be Christs imposter unless you are Christian. Although its possible he will be Jewish instead, since Jews wouldn't follow a Christian. But then how would Christians follow him if he won't be a Christian? Perhaps he will persuade people through miracles; Bible says he will call lightning from heaven to earth so that would be persuasive. In which case he can be either Christian or Jewish or any other religion and convert people through miracle. But yes Christianity is definitely in the list of the possibilities, which is the point.

I think that’s an interesting perspective but at the time the title “AntiChrist” seems to denote a meaning of false representation of a spiritual being. An issue that I find when looking at the perspective of one religion is that, I tend to assume that other religions don’t have their own obstacles. I actually believe that the idea of religious conversion can be actually dangerous and it should not be one religions mission to take it upon themselves to change another persons belief system because this might venture into the topic of spiritual warfare. I think it’s safe to confine the word AntiChrist to Christianity because it would just be wrong for spiritual leaders to go out and point fingers at other religions spiritual leaders and beliefs and call them AntiChrist. That would just be chaos.

(Btw, my original response was just a silly comment. I appreciate your response though)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 3:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I can't speak for the Orthodox faith, but those two women, and the website are not typical of Catholicism.

The easiest way to get it is to wrap your head around that the Catholic Church, as well as the Oriental Orthodox Churches, as well as the Eastern Orthodox Church, as well as the Church of the East is that they all have a spectrum from fundamentalist to liberal, as well as their own traditions of end-times cults. Those end-times cults are all pretty nutty by the standards of the mainstream faith, and now they're able to exchange ideas more easily than ever before so all the nutty offshoots are starting to see where they share similarities.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 8:14 am

QFT wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t think this is occurring, personally.

I’m not a great lover of Christmas....but don’t blow it for those who love Christmas.

Nobody is going to get a slap on the face for bringing joy to little children or the homeless during the Christmas season.

I didn't say they will be punished for celebrating Christmas, I said they will be punished despite it. Quite frankly I don't think Jesus cares whether you celebrate Christmas or not, since Bible doesn't say to do it or not to. However Jesus has plenty of issues against todays society (sexual immorality and greed and all that other stuff -- plus of course mark of the beast, whatever it happens to be). Yet, despite the fact that Jesus views antichrists followers as His enemies, they would still celebrate Chrstmas since they aren't aware of it. And that would be their ultimate slap on their face. They would be greeting Jesus with all their Christmas carols but Jesus would be like "nope, not buying it, you are my enemies".

So Jesus would view these people as “His enemies” but they “would still celebrate Christmas since they aren’t aware of it?”

Being punished for not being aware of something doesn’t sound fair.

Well, its not about "not being aware" but rather "not believing". I am sure they heard of those "bible thumbers" that they look down on. Yet they think they still love Jesus since they celebrate Christmas. So they chose to believe in lukewarm Jesus, and since the real Jesus isn't lukewarm He doesn't like it.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I remember members of my former faith

By the way I am just curious, what denomination are you referring to by your "former faith community"?

Nothing personal, I am just fascinated with exploring various sects. Me personally, I am fascinated with Sabbaterian sects due to my Jewish background. In particular I go to Messianic church, Seventh Day Adventist Church and United Church of God. I don't believe in the last two churches since I think Armstrong and Ellen White are both false prophets (I don't believe in modern prophets in general) but I still like to go there since I was born Jewish and they follow aspects of Jewish law.

Few years ago when I was living in a town without any of those churches nearby I went to Church of Christ -- because I read online it was supposed to be a cult, and being a cult is a good thing in my book. But, to my disappointment, it didn't look like a cult. I also went to Southern Baptist Church just to compare them, and it didn't look like either of them was more strict than the other. I actually asked this question and they told me that there are different types of Churches of Christ -- they even admitted original Boston Movement was a cult yet they said they aren't. But I am not sure what to think, I guess they are a biased source so I just don't know. All I know is that that specific church didn't look like anything special.

Aside from that, I am also fascinated with Jehovah Wittnesses as well. Partly because the idea that "Jesus is Messiah and not God" is attractive, given my Jewish background (although I believe Him to be God just in case). But I guess the fact that they aren't sabbaterian kinda ruins it, so I only attended that church just a couple of times. I attended Mormon church as well a few times but I don't like them that much, their idea that we will all be gods feels kinda ridiculous; I only came to that church because I ran into the missionaries on the street and they invited me, so I wouldn't pass that opportunity.

But in any case, what about yourself, what denomination were you a part of?

I am a former Jehovah’s Witness. I’ve talked about it extensively on here, so you’ll probably see it on other threads.

I hated it since I was a young child. It’s more a cult than a sect. Why is a cult a good thing in your book? 8O High control groups are unhealthy and damaging to say the least as I know from experience all too well...

Cult tactics like shunning or being shunned (suicide is not an uncommon result of this evil practice), limiting education (college is strongly discouraged), extensive child abuse coverups (especially sexual), trying to convert people is viewed as a requirement, multiple failed predictions of Armageddon, pushed into refusing necessary medical care (blood transfusions), and sexual discrimination pushed to the point where it becomes misogyny are not an enjoyable or even decent way to spend one’s life.

http://freedomofmind.com/the-bite-model ... witnesses/

If there’s a god who expects such sacrifices, he’s not worth worshipping. I don’t think that’s very likely because JW beliefs don’t hold up to scrutiny as far as the Bible or science go.

I’m now a Christmas-celebrating atheist. I seek to keep Christ out of Christmas. :P I mostly celebrate Christmas so my kid doesn’t feel like so much of an outsider in my predominantly Christmas-celebrating community. Ironically, probably the only people who don’t celebrate Christmas in my small town, other than us, are Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 24 Dec 2019, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Dec 2019, 8:44 am

JWs always seem like awfully friendly people. I do a lot of drops for an estate agency in my city and often see them in large groups separating into smaller groups to cover the suburbs door to door during the daytime. I don't have the heart to be unfriendly to them so let them give me a leaflet. My mom is a fundamentalist Christian and they have a different way of discouraging them - usually by quoting scriptures to refuse their particular interpretations.

I'm quite aware of their antipathy towards blood transfusions but don't know much else about them. They mostly speak about how the world isn't in the state God wants it to be but that He'll be changing all that.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 8:51 am

envirozentinel wrote:
JWs always seem like awfully friendly people. I do a lot of drops for an estate agency in my city and often see them in large groups separating into smaller groups to cover the suburbs door to door during the daytime. I don't have the heart to be unfriendly to them so let them give me a leaflet. My mom is a fundamentalist Christian and they have a different way of discouraging them - usually by quoting scriptures to refuse their particular interpretations.

I'm quite aware of their antipathy towards blood transfusions but don't know much else about them. They mostly speak about how the world isn't in the state God wants it to be but that He'll be changing all that.

They intentionally try to act nice so as to get new members and “win” people over to “the Truth.” It’s a cult practice called “love-bombing.” I know because I was taught to do this and even practiced it myself when I was trying to be a zealous member. There was a time when I spent 70 hours a month preaching. Oy vey! “Fake smile in place. Proceed.”

They aren’t nicer than the average person. Of course, there are some really nice people and some really not so nice people like the general population.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Dec 2019, 9:04 am

They seem quite numerous here in my small South African city. We even have a Mormon (LDS) church here.

Interesting. Yes you have to train people to be friendly when you're sending them out to seek potential new converts. They usually ask if you want to come and worship at one of their "Kingdom Halls" in the city.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 9:19 am

I think that since they seem so nice people don’t always see the darker, ugly side to it.

When I had a baby outside of wedlock after a devastating year, I was publicly disciplined. It was announced from the stage of my Kingdom Hall and in another one nearby during a regular meeting with full attendance. I was shunned by my brother for a year. He has since stopped believing and apologized for his actions.

I was lucky that I wasn’t fully disfellowshipped and shunned by everyone like many people with less forgiving elders throughout the world are. The same beliefs and practices are worldwide due to a very centralized organizational system. I was just reproved and marked as “bad association” so people would know not to invite me to do stuff with them until after I had been regularly attending the Kingdom Hall for awhile, etc.

Still, I was open to the elders about my trauma and feigned repentance and was publicly humiliated anyway. I quit going immediately after that because I realized that this was not what I wanted for my son. If it was just about me, I would stick with it like I always had for my family.

I didn’t want my son to experience the same thing or to not be allowed to be who he is. I thought, “What if he’s gay?” You can’t be gay and be a JW. Instead, you’ll learn that something is wrong with you.

Edited to add: I feel compelled to speak out about this when Jehovah’s Witnesses come up on here because of the extensive damage they cause even though they seem so nice in the beginning. Most of my family has little to do with me since I no longer attend which is what they’re taught to do. My grandmother actively shuns me, so we haven’t talked in years.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 10:33 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1FrqwZyKw

Hmm... Considering i am born on 6.6.60 And throughout my Life of Being
Carded for a Beer a Day (Don't Need It anymore; got Dance) for Relaxation as
the Walmart Cashiers Carded me in my 40's and Protected themselves with 'the sign of the
Cross' when they got a gander at my Birthdate on my Driver's License; as they inhabit the 'Tribal
Religious Place of Trump Town USA'. where yes; After 15,000 Lies, 85 Percent of the Inhabitants
Still Support Literally a Real Father of Lies For Sure; Literally as far as Twitter Verses Will Still Travel.

Anyway; i will surely relate to Being the Devil (Lucifer too) at Least; spent 66 months at least in a Living
Hell Within as a Shut-in in my Bedroom; at least a Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Note Dame too
back then; perhaps, with a Mix of 'John Nash' Isolation from Society too; but as Far as Anti-Christ For what
comes in the place of Unconditional Loving Forgiveness Where We Love Our Enemies Same as Ourself; Yes,
And Neighbors all Part of Alpha thru Omega All God With No Name; the 'Anti-Christ Dude' will surely already
Be found in the existing New Testament in Revelation for sure; the Dude Forecast to not only forgive; Yes, His
Enemies; but Torture them to Hell Forevermorenow; been there done it all Naturally where a Thousand Years of
Hell is equal to One Second; if 'Jesus', Yes, the Story Book Character ever really went there; nah; he wouldn't wish
anyone to 'that place' as that is the place of the Least and Meek the Most; the Piece of Paper existence of less than nil.

Anyone with a Smidgen of Emotional Intelligence can and will clearly see the inconsistencies of the View Points
of all the 'Republicans and Democrats' who wrote both the Old and New Testament too in that Old Thousands
Of Years 'Black Book'; Innumerable Ghost Authors; Scribe Mistakes Copying Over Centuries; and those Scribes
who called their Version of Holy Spirit Inspired 'Visions' more important than "Paul" and the such to make
their own 'Spirit/Visionary Related Intentional Changes too'; Let's remember there was nothing set in
stone in Print then; all subject to the Stroke of every Pen Change, until around 1450 AD, where
Printing Presses came into being; and so many revisions still came after that as well as Different
Translations from Greek as let's face Facts; 'Son of' Originally in Greek means 'Nature of' in other
Words 'Son of God' Means 'Nature of God'; considering all we Can and will Observe is the Nature of all that
Is We Feel and Sense and Know; that indeed is at least a small Venn diagram of the Venn Diagram of All.
And the World 'Apocalypse' in Greek still originally means Lifting the Veils of Ignorance; instead of Blowing the
Whole 'Dirty Dam Hairless Ape Place Up' at least in words to that effect; That Have come in Literature and Theater too.

The Fact is if the Whole Story Was Literally True now; as Inconsistent as it is; and Insincere; and Unforgiving
as it can and will be too without much Respect to the diversity of the Overall Human Condition; but Wait! yes!
'cause even all the Ghost Writers; and Scribe Changers have Different Opinions Obviously too; even at that
if "Jesus" Were Real and could come back; he Must be Observed as an Anti-Christ in the place of whatever
Version that is not consistent with each Denomination/Sect/Individual Who has their Own Favorite Flavor
of Jesus And Will Balk at any Jesus; but the Jesus they Demand to come back now; Of course this includes
the Major Viewpoint Difference in How Muslims and Christians View Jesus too; Basically he is gonna come
back and destroy the respective Enemies of Both Religions Differently too; Depending on which Sect and
Denomination insists on their Version of Jesus; and Yes God Now too; Jesus F in Christ; there are at least
Thousands of different Versions of Jesus; and everyone who is ready to Tell 'Jesus' who he has to be if he
were to dare to come back now.

Just For S's and G's; Let's Pretend that the 'Anti-Christ' could come back and to be clear whoever the Real
Free Jesus would be; obviously, He would not be the one 99 Percent of Folks would Naturally Now Identify as Real;
even if he could come back all Syrian Brown Looking; Still at about 5 Foot 1 and 106 Pounds; He wouldn't be any more
Welcome in a 'Trump Church' than a Mexican Immigrant without any Paperwork Still.

"Trump" is one "Jesus" that 75 Percent or so of Evangelical Christians Will Agree on at least; and at least he isn't
evil enough to have the so-called Authority to Judge folks who are Different and send them to Everlasting Torture
now; yes, sadly the fact is Trump is Less evil than the 'Old Testament God' and the 'New Testament everlasting
Torturing Jesus' against all of his Adversaries too; who Fail to Bow and Kneel Down and Pledge Allegiance to Just
Another Dude Without Human Empathy and Oxytocin Social Bonding Capacity; only getting off on Power and Status.

In This Case, whoever replaces this Evil with all Real Forgiving Endless Love Unconditional And Fearless Will remain
practically Invisible to all those Who Still Believe in a 'Son of Man' Full of Fear and Hate so much that they would go
as far as not only not forgiving their Adversary; but torturing them to Suffer in Misery for Eternity now Forevermore now.

Most Anyone can and will become 'this Antichrist'; All Forgiving Full of Holy and Sacred Love Full of Meaning and Purpose;
Where Unconditional Fearless LoVE iN Wisdom Beauty of Kindness And Courage is the Aim Overall All Stuff Life Loves Real.

(Meanwhile, my Wife; Mrs. Claus, is in the 'Great Room' Watching Hall Mark Christmas Movies with Hot Chocolate Love)

Best thing of all is 'they' will go practically unnoticed (by Name) and Just Spread Love and Hope everywhere they go.

The 'Anti-Christ' has always Celebrated Christmas this way; always holding Hope for 'Christ the Grinch' too for Change.

Let's Put it this way if God is Really Love; and God Really is Responsible for Love and God Really Loves 'Jesus' as Much
As God Does; God Wrote the Bible this Way to Protect all the Anti-Christs Still to come the Ones Who Worship Love the most.

(Trivia Note: Frederick Trump and Elizabeth Christ Trump are the Names of Trump's Paternal Grand Parents; it's No Joke; Maybe)

Here's A Deal; the Form has always been Dead; the Essence of Love is Real; and Lives Forevernow in those Who Breathe it For Real as They Too Become the Spirit.. the Wind.. of LoVE iNCaRNaTE NoW.

Without Forgiveness that is Eternal there is No God of Love;
THere is No Jesus of Love; THere is no True Love at all For Real.

No thanks; i'll keep my Birthdate as is.

i literally could not live with myself if i did not forgive;
excuse me; i was am born this way; too. And Reborn this way again; in just one lifetime too.

Other than that any "Real Jesus and or God" Will Giggle Beyond Eternity if "Mere Minions' 'Believe' they
Will Control the Free Will Relative of someone more than with Minion View; Where Eternity will never be measured now.

Other than that; i Believe God IS A Laugh with a Fabulous Feel and Sense of Humor; Why? Because i can and WILL.

'God' is no 'Nerd'; 'God' is surely not going to come back in Full Human Form and Be Slave to Any Cover of a BLacK Book;

But True; Be Careful for Like the 'Twilight Zone' 'Says'; 'Someone' at Least Could Really Come Back "To Serve Humans" with A Recipe; hehe.

God is Endless Pages and We are the Breath; not everyone can and will understand this; for True there are 'Minions' too; i am Not waiting for the Next Movie to come out; hehe..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 10:48 am

^^^

Very thoughtful post which I’m going to mull over.

I was born a sceptic myself. I started questioning my religion and the existence of that god since I was 6.

It’s interesting when different Christian denominations believe that they have the sole path to “Truth” and that everyone else will go to Hell over very minor doctrinal differences. One wonders why they want to worship such a petty god.

I remember someone telling me once: “I’m sorry but unless you change you’re going to Hell.” In fact, he didn’t seem all that sorry. He actually seemed to be looking forward to such a time.

That’s quite problematic from a humanistic, moral standpoint.

I don’t think I’d want anyone to undergo torture for eternity, not even those who wronged me or humanity greatly.

Empathy is a good thing.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 12:34 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
^^^

Very thoughtful post which I’m going to mull over.

I was born a sceptic myself. I started questioning my religion and the existence of that god since I was 6.

It’s interesting when different Christian denominations believe that they have the sole path to “Truth” and that everyone else will go to Hell over very minor doctrinal differences. One wonders why they want to worship such a petty god.

I remember someone telling me once: “I’m sorry but unless you change you’re going to Hell.” In fact, he didn’t seem all that sorry. He actually seemed to be looking forward to such a time.

That’s quite problematic from a humanistic, moral standpoint.

I don’t think I’d want anyone to undergo torture for eternity, not even those who wronged me or humanity greatly.

Empathy is a good thing.

Thank You; It was the Same For me; Before Age Six; Perhaps as Early as Five or Four;
Looking Above my Bed There was a Nordic Looking Man Sort of Like Kenny Loggins today;
i already Recognized that Folks From the Middle East Did Not Look Like that; Additionally, i wondered
Why There Had to Be Both a Santa and a 'Jesus' too; as this was Christmas Eve that i wondered about this then;
But True Santa Brought A Magic Feeling Within; That Jesus Never Did; What i remember is a 'Stupid' Dream
About a Creature With a Pitch Fork through my Neck; What i Also Remember is a 'Psychopathic Looking Preacher'
Screaming at People with some kind of Sick and Selfish Pleasure that if they didn't do what he said they would
be Tortured forever.

i also later Wondered After that why Jesus looked so Much like a Woman With a Beard in so
Many other Artistic Representations; Then i came to understand Later That When Leonardo DaVinci Painted
'The Last Supper' he Lived in A Patriarchal Culture Where Facial Hair and Long Hair Was a Big No No For Men.

So; In Deed, Not only Did Leonardo Paint 'The Last Supper'; in a sense at Least, People have been Worshipping
'His Style' instead of Whoever the Real Man was who was likely Crucified on a Cross Like So Many others;
Just that part of this Man's Story ended up as Oral Tradition; and Legend to Eventually come to be a Book;
And even some Movies too.

What i BelieVE iN is Love; It's Not Hard for me as my Form of Asperger's is Super Sensitive Everything
From Touch to Hearing to Seeing to Smelling to Tasting To Feeling and Sensing All of Life as a Literal
Human Empath Will Experience Life. i Understand now; not everyone experiences Life this way; in Fact,
We All basically According to Neuroscience Hallucinate Our Realities Now Based on the Past Hallucinations
that We Co-Create to Develop some Potential Mutual and Consensually Understandable Feel and Sense of
Reality with others, at least; as We Co-Create Abstract Constructs of Labels to Articulate this at Best to others.

Smiles; it probably would have been Easier to Intuit, Feel, Perceive Less; Ignorance in someways this way surely will be Bliss too as Feeling all the Pain and Misery of others in this World Now of Stress is enough to make You Wanna Dance
Spiraling as such 12,493 Miles in Public in 76 Months; Just to Develop A Shield of Light Around You (me) in 'Chi Force'
to Escape all the Misery, Suffering, and in General Pain of others; True, i work close to as Hard as an Olympic
Athlete to Achieve a Bliss Away From all of that; for there were some days i felt like An Entire World of Hell
on my Shoulders; Even Worse; inside of me; i separate that out Now; and LiVE iN Peace And Harmony for Real.

For So Many Decades; Being Ignorant like what other Folks could not Feel and Sense was just not part of my Human Pie;

Relatively, Speaking of Course; as We All Have Gifts and Curses in Life as Born and Bred Now too.

Smiles; it's really true some folks Feel and Sense and Know More of Reality and other Folks Less; Science Agrees.

What Will Never Be Completely Empirically Measured is Our Worlds Within; they are Unique; as far as Nature
goes another Set of Eyes Each of us co-create for all the "Colors of the Wind" We continue to 'Paint' or not;
best for me colored with Love;

Sadly; best for others in Wishing other People Suffer; up to Forever.

i am A Truly FortuNate one; by far by far; as far as i for one 'see' with EYes of Love.

i only Feel Sad for all the others now, who cannot Love Complete in a Home of Love Now For All that is DarK Thru Light...

For me at least; this Love Lasts Eternally Forevernow in only Life; When i die, i really Lived And Loved; That is surely A Greater Gift Than a Wish for anyone else to Suffer for what they already give themselves away from Love; Wishing that for others now; It's sort of Like the Ending of the 9th Star Wars Movie; not to spoil it for anyone; But Hate Eventually Destroys Who Holds It Within; Always Does Always Will as far as Loving Life Goes Eternally Now; No other Escape but the Force of Love; AFAIF at least..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 1:47 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I am a former Jehovah’s Witness.

I know you don't see it this way, but I just have to say I feel totally fascinated and excited to hear that! I was always curious about that sect, so I look forward to get some inside knowledge on it.

Twilightprincess wrote:
Why is a cult a good thing in your book?

For several reasons:

1. Mainstream Christians always quote the same verses over and over (John 3:16 and John 14:6 are good examples of those) and hardly study the rest of the Bible. The cults, on the other hand, seem to be quoting the verses mainstream Christians wouldn't, and I always want to learn new perspective. I guess I am non-conformist in general. I want a third party candidate to win an election and, as a physicist, I focus my research at obscure theories rather than mainstream. I guess, after working for several years in obscure areas of physics, I found that they have their own dogmas that they blindly follow, so they aren't any better than mainstream, and now I am thinking of going back to mainstream stuff. So I realize that with cults it could be the same thing: they probably have their own sets of verses they overfocus on -- so if I was part of a cult I would have been looking forward to getting out of that cult for the same exact reason as to why right now I am daydreaming of being in the cult. So its "grass is greener on the other side" phenomenon. But still, since I don't plan to actually joining any cults, I only plan to attend them -- I feel like attending several different cults, along with mainstream churches, would be an interesting experience. In this case it would be up to me to decide which ideas to take from which cult for my own thinking.

2. Jesus said in Matt 7:13 narrow is the gate that leads to life and few will find it. So this immediately tells me that mainstream Christianity won't save me just from the fact that they are far from few. And the logical solution for this problem is to look at the cults since there are, indeed, "few" of them. I realize that the cults is not the answer though. In Matt 24 Jesus specifically warned against the false prophets that would arize at the end times -- and since most cults appeared only within the past couple of centuries, they meet the description of "false prophets" that Jesus was warning against. But thats why I was saying I am not thinking of actually joining one of them, I am only saying I like to attend their services and stuff.

3. Due to Asperger I am socially isolated. So I keep wishing that joining a cult would help me solve this issue. For one thing, like you mentioned yourself, "love bombing" is part of their tactic. I realize its not genuine, but something is better than nothing. On a more genuine side, the way closed communities operate is that its members are all responsible for each other, so maybe they would feel more inclined to help me rather than avoid me. But then again I realize that it wouldn't happen unless I officially join them which, like I said, I don't want to do. But, in any case, it would help me escape the "real world" so its like if I stay where I am then I will feel this loneliness for the rest of my life, but if I jump into unknown then who knows what will happen, maybe I will get lucky.

4. I was born Jewish, and when I decided to become a Christian one stumbling block that I had was the fact that there are so few Jews and so many Christians. So I was switching from being "special" to being "plain old Christian". The Messianic Judaism definitely helped. But still, I had those lingering thoughts that maybe Messianic Judaism is just a mainstream Christianity dressed up -- in order to help people overcome the kinds of barriers I was struggling with. And thats why I was looking to the Sabbaterian groups that are *not* Jewish (like Seventh Day Adventists and United Church of God are good examples of them) and that way I know that when they keep saturday sabbath or keep kosher they do it because they actually believe it -- as opposed to simply trying to attract Jewish converts. Yes I am aware that, while they might not be targetting Jews specifically they "are" targetting mainstream population -- in different ways. But that wasn't what I was concerned about. My concern was: "is their Jewishness genuine or are they just dressing up". And that concern is addressed by the fact that their membership isn't Jewish. Now, what I said up till now doesn't apply Jehovah Wittnesses since Jehovah Wittnesses don't keep kosher, and they meet on sunday. But still they have one "Jewish" element -- namely the belief that Jesus is not God. That, plus they are "special", so turning from Jew to Jehovah Wittness wouldn't feel like trading something special to something plain. But like I said this is really "what if" argument, I don't plan to actually join JW. Their church is just appealing from outside thats what I am saying.

Twilightprincess wrote:
8O High control groups are unhealthy and damaging to say the least as I know from experience all too well...

But isn't mainstream society "high control" too, just in different way. I mean, lets compare my struggles of escaping the NT society and your struggle of escaping JW. I wouldn't say your struggle is harder. If someone who is NT decides to leave JW, that person has the rest of the world to go to. Sure, they would have to start their life from scratch. But they would have fellow NT-s that are sympathetic to their predicament and willing to help. But an aspie can not leave NT world, its not even a choice: there is no aspie-only town they can go to and start their life afresh.

Twilightprincess wrote:
Cult tactics like shunning or being shunned

NT-s shun me too. I would much rather be shunned for religious reasons than be shunned because I am an aspie. At least religion is my choice and being an aspie is not.

Twilightprincess wrote:
limiting education (college is strongly discouraged),

I wasn't aware that Jehovah Wittnesses were against education until a couple of years ago -- and, quite frankly, it was a big surprise. Because from what I knew about Jehovah Wittnesses, they like to overanalyze the Bible and engage in discussions several hours long about it. So that made me instinctively feel like they would be probably the best college students you would find.

As far as Seventh Day Adventists go, I personally know a Seventh Day Adventist woman who has Ph.D. and is a postdoc in biology. No, its not the woman I was talking about in the "no contact" thread. That woman in that thread does not have all that education, and this was one of the main things that turned me off. On the other hand, the educated woman is already married. In any case, the jist I got from talking to the woman without education is that seventh day adventists don't value education as much as I wish they did. Yes they go to university -- but they try to get into Andrews University, which is not that strong in majors other than religion -- although yes Andrews University has physics department and math department they just aren't that strong.

But in any case, I really wish I could date a Seventh Day Adventist scientist, or a Jehovah Wittness scientist, or something like that. Seventh Day Adventist scientist is possible, as illustrated by the above. But what about Jehovah Wittness -- are you saying it is impossible or only discouraged?

Twilightprincess wrote:
extensive child abuse coverups (especially sexual),

I haven't heard of this before. The only child abuse that I heard of up till now was by Catholic priests. Are you saying Jehovah Wittnesses are worse than that?

Twilightprincess wrote:
pushed into refusing necessary medical care (blood transfusions)

Actually I oppose blood transfusions as well. No, its not because of JW -- I mean I disagree with a lot of their other teachings -- its just that my own sense tells me blood transfusions are wrong. I mean its almost like drinking blood and Bible has verses against it.

By the way, what is JW opinion on pulling out wisdom teeth? I had one of my wisdom teeth taken out and I feel really bad about it. I know when I ask mainstream Christians this question they all say its fine, but they don't really say *why* its fine, so its a bit hard to believe. But what about JW-s? Do they also think its fine or do they think its sinful?

Twilightprincess wrote:
, and sexual discrimination pushed to the point where it becomes misogyny

Can you be more specific? I heard that there is some proportion of misogyny in all of Christendom across the board, but I didn't know as to how it relates to JW specifically.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don’t think that’s very likely because JW beliefs don’t hold up to scrutiny as far as the Bible or science go.

Since you don't think Bible supports JW doctrine, why did you become an atheist then? You could have left JW while continuing to believe your own interpretation of the Bible.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m now a Christmas-celebrating atheist. I seek to keep Christ out of Christmas. :P I mostly celebrate Christmas so my kid doesn’t feel like so much of an outsider in my predominantly Christmas-celebrating community. Ironically, probably the only people who don’t celebrate Christmas in my small town, other than us, are Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Thats interesting. Is it a really small town? I know of other groups that don't celebrate Christmas. For example, majority of Messianics don't. Also other sabbaterian sects like United Church of God don't celebrate Christmas either. Seventh day adventists *do* celebrate it -- which is a bit surprising actually.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 3:03 pm

Not only...

Not only will he celebrate Xmas. That will be a sure sign that he IS the Antichrist. That he exploits the Pagan festival of lights on Dec. 25th that got appropriated by the early church for Christ mass.

When the real dude appears he will ignore Xmas and stress Easter, and he will preach that if you hafta celebrate Xmas to do so on the Feast of Epiphany on January sixth, because the Dec. 25 is the B-day of Saturn, and not Christ's b-day.