Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:13 am

Does God love us even if we follow don't all his restriction HE put on us? For example, we are kind to others helping others, but we like sex too much, For example, we have same-sex attraction? :-)

https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Does-G ... attraction

Did you knew that Alex Plank have Quora account :P

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:49 am

That's what I've heard. You'd think it would be necessary since no one is perfect.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:56 am

As I recall, Pawelk, you're Catholic, so this is coming from the perspective of what I've read in Catholic teaching.

Of course God loves all of us. Everyone. If God only loved perfect people, then there would be no one for him to love.

If he made us where we did not have free will, where we just loved him by default, we would not be free to love, because loving him would be not a choice but slavery. We would be like clockwork toys and not like people.

Regarding same-sex attraction, that's not a sin by itself. It's a desire. It's disordered desire, because it's not natural, but all sin is disorderly. Things only become a sin when we act on them and let them take over our thoughts and actions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:21 am

Borromeo wrote:
... Of course God loves all of us...
Evidence, please?  Book, chapter, and verse, if possible. Thank you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:37 am

Being gay is not a sin. There’s nothing wrong with it whatsoever no matter what specific religious institutions or the Bible have to say about it. I support same sex love and marriage.

If there’s a loving deity out there, he would want people to be happy as long as that wouldn’t involve hurting other people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:47 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Being gay is not a sin. There’s nothing wrong with it whatsoever no matter what specific religious institutions or the Bible have to say about it...
No ... "Sin" is an act of transgression against divine law, not human law.  That is, a person commits a sin only when he or she commits an act against the commandments of G-D (or the tenets of whatever religions they practice).

Something can be perfectly legal under secular law and still be a sin.  Same-sex copulation, while legal under federal law, is a sin in some religions.

So what?  If you commit a sin, then that is solely between you and G-D (or whomever/whatever you worship), not any legally-constituted secular body or any self-righteous individual.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:54 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Being gay is not a sin. There’s nothing wrong with it whatsoever no matter what specific religious institutions or the Bible have to say about it...
No ... "Sin" is an act of transgression against divine law, not human law.  That is, a person commits a sin only when he or she commits an act against the commandments of G-D (or the tenets of whatever religions they practice).

Something can be perfectly legal under secular law and still be a sin.  Same-sex copulation, while legal under federal law, is a sin in some religions.

So what?  If you commit a sin, then that is solely between you and G-D (or whomever/whatever you worship), not any legally-constituted secular body or any self-righteous individual.

But how do we know what “divine law“ is?

I have to say that I don’t find the Bible very convincing although it is purported to contain God’s laws.

I also have trouble reconciling a loving God with one who views same sex love as a sin. It doesn’t make sense from a logical standpoint, and it stunts the lives of gay individuals who believe it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 10:37 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
No ... "Sin" is an act of transgression against divine law, not human law.  That is, a person commits a sin only when he or she commits an act against the commandments of G-D (or the tenets of whatever religions they practice).  Something can be perfectly legal under secular law and still be a sin.  Same-sex copulation, while legal under federal law, is a sin in some religions.  So what?  If you commit a sin, then that is solely between you and G-D (or whomever/whatever you worship), not any legally-constituted secular body or any self-righteous individual.
But how do we know what "divine law" is?
"Know"?  What we "know" as divine law comes to us through holy scriptures.  Determining whether or not these scriptures are valid is a matter of faith.
Twilightprincess wrote:
I have to say that I don’t find the Bible very convincing although it is purported to contain God’s laws.
Do you have a problem with things like, "Do not kill", "Do not steal", "Do not lie", "Do not have sex with someone else's husband/wife", and so forth?
Twilightprincess wrote:
I also have trouble reconciling a loving God with one who views same sex love as a sin.
Do not confuse "love" with "sex", you can engage in either one without the other.  Same-sex copulation is a sin, but loving your neighbor is not. There is no law -- divine or secular -- against love.
Twilightprincess wrote:
It doesn’t make sense from a logical standpoint, and it stunts the lives of gay individuals who believe it.
Copulation is for procreation.  Copulation between two individuals of the same sex does not result in procreation.  The fact that copulation feels good (to some) is no reason to go around f***ing everyone in sight.  But if two men (or two women) want to make each other feel good by simulating procreative activity, then that is between themselves and G-D, and neither you or I can condemn them for whatever sins they commit.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 10:50 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
No ... "Sin" is an act of transgression against divine law, not human law.  That is, a person commits a sin only when he or she commits an act against the commandments of G-D (or the tenets of whatever religions they practice).  Something can be perfectly legal under secular law and still be a sin.  Same-sex copulation, while legal under federal law, is a sin in some religions.  So what?  If you commit a sin, then that is solely between you and G-D (or whomever/whatever you worship), not any legally-constituted secular body or any self-righteous individual.
But how do we know what "divine law" is?
"Know"?  What we "know" as divine law comes to us through holy scriptures.  Determining whether or not these scriptures are valid is a matter of faith.
Twilightprincess wrote:
Do you have a problem with things like, "Do not kill", "Do not steal", "Do not lie", "Do not have sex with someone else's husband/wife", and so forth?
Twilightprincess wrote:
I also have trouble reconciling a loving God with one who views same sex love as a sin.
Do not confuse "love" with "sex", you can engage in either one without the other.  Same-sex copulation is a sin, but loving your neighbor is not. There is no law -- divine or secular -- against love.
Twilightprincess wrote:
It doesn’t make sense from a logical standpoint, and it stunts the lives of gay individuals who believe it.
Copulation is for procreation.  Copulation between two individuals of the same sex does not result in procreation.  The fact that copulation feels good (to some) is no reason to go around f***ing everyone in sight.  But if two men (or two women) want to make each other feel good by simulating procreative activity, then that is between themselves and G-D, and neither you or I can condemn them for whatever sins they commit.

I have no problem with Biblical laws that keep people from harming someone else.

I have problems with Biblical laws that cause harm to people, mostly problematic stuff in the Old Testament which features stoning heavily and the occasional mauling by bears. Although there’s an excessive amount of harmful stuff regarding women in both the Old and New Testament.

In the New Testament, I have a problem with the discouragement of gay relationships. Sex is not just about procreation. It’s one of the ways that humans demonstrate their love for each other.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jan 2020, 11:01 am

You're right TP, it doesn't make logical sense because procreation isn't the be all and end all of our lives. My family can never be convinced that gay can ever be right, no matter what anyone else says, even within a loving relationship.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 11:49 am

Like I've said elsewhere, secular laws do not prevent people from breaking them.  They can only be used to define what is "legal" and "illegal" and the penalties imposed upon those who break them. The same applies to Divine Law.

Before the Commandments (or "Mosaic Law"), there was very little that defined "sin", and penalties seemed to be imposed arbitrarily for "sinful" behavior.  Once the Commandments were given, the arbitrary nature of Divine Justice was removed, and specific penalties for specific "sins" were imposed.

Then lawyers were invented, and all Hell broke loose.  Everyone wanted to interpret Divine Law in his or her own way, and the outcome was determined by whose lawyer could argue the application of Divine Law more convincingly.

G-D will deal with sinful people in whatever way He sees fit -- He is Sovereign, and above any law that humans can define.

As for me, whatever any two (or more) consenting adults do in private is none of my business. If two (or more) randy priests want to have a sausage party, then that's no business of mine, but if they coerce a choir boy to make a devil's three-way with them, then those two priests should face the full penalty under the law.  It would be better, however, to tie millstones around their necks and throw them into the sea.

But none of this answers the OP's original question...

pawelk1986 wrote:
Does God love us even if we commit sins?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 11:56 am

If God didn't love us when we sin, that would mean God's love was conditional. If God's love was predicated on humans being sinless then Heaven would be a pretty sparse place. I know people personally who believe God is vengeful and do view God as having conditions or view God as one who keeps a tally, a score. If that's how God is, I don't know who could achieve salvation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm

No mortal human can achieve salvation on their own.  Even the immortal "Fallen Angels" (e.g., demons, especially Lucifer) are permanently doomed.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 12:41 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
You're right TP, it doesn't make logical sense because procreation isn't the be all and end all of our lives. My family can never be convinced that gay can ever be right, no matter what anyone else says, even within a loving relationship.

It’s really sad.

It’s also sad when people think that going with their natural inclination is bad. I’ve personally seen lots of problems that have stemmed from this.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jan 2020, 12:54 pm

Do the JW's have any position on it? Are they just as against it as the majority of evangelical churches?

Some of the charismatic churches must be OK with it as I see a guy who used to live near us is now in a loving relationship with another guy and also a regular churchgoer who often puts Christian quotes on his FB page. As this is in our largest city, Johannesburg, maybe they are more progressive there than in some other places.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Do the JW's have any position on it?
Here is a link to the official website of the Jehovah's Witnesses: https://www.jw.org/en/
envirozentinel wrote:
Are they just as against it as the majority of evangelical churches?
Here is a link to their official answer page: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... ible-view/
envirozentinel wrote:
Some of the charismatic churches must be OK with it as I see a guy who used to live near us is now in a loving relationship with another guy and also a regular churchgoer who often puts Christian quotes on his FB page.
Some Christian churches have stated similar positions to: "All are welcome to come and worship with us as part of our congregation. However, we will not knowingly elect or invite a gay pastor to preach in our church, nor will we knowingly elect a gay elder, deacon, or teacher to serve in our church, nor will we host a same-sex wedding in our church."
envirozentinel wrote:
As this is in our largest city, Johannesburg, maybe they are more progressive there than in some other places.
I know this is off-topic, but what ever happened to the "Science Must Fall" movement that originated there a few years ago? PM me on this, if you prefer.