Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 1:18 am

There is currently a lot of pressure on Biden to pick a "diverse" cabinet. Biden famously said that he would pick a cabinet that "looked like the country"

As a thought experiment I looked at what a cabinet proportionately scaled by demographics would look like. To be clear, I do not think cabinet selections should be done by proportional demographic representation.

There are 1 vice president, 15 main cabinet positions, and 7 additional cabinet level positions in the cabinet. That's a total of 23 people. Proportionately representing the demographics of the U.S.

14 cabinet members would be white
4 cabinet members would be hispanic/latino
3 cabinet members would be black
1 cabinet member would be asian
1 cabinet member would be representative of all other demographics in the U.S.

If we compare Biden's announced cabinet thus far:
4 are white
2 are hispanic/latino
2 are black
1 is asian

Biden also currently has a gender balance of 5 men, 4 women.

My conclusions is that pressure on Biden to make more "diverse" picks is unwarranted. At his current pace most minority groups will have a representation larger than their share of the U.S. population. Nobody should be upset about that.

Thus far I think Biden is doing a fine job making cabinet announcements. A lot of centrist names, which I think bodes well for the country.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 10:12 am

Yeah a lot of these people are just Obama cabinet people who we have had in the same or similar positions before. If Biden gets through I don’t think most of us will see much of a change in our lives. There may be a change in which countries we visibly ally with, so traveling and international work may be a little different.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 7:54 pm

Why wouldn't Biden "get through?" He won by more than 6 million votes. And he, indisputably, won in the Electoral College.

Trump just likes being President too much, and doesn't want to cede power. But he has to!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 8:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why wouldn't Biden "get through?" He won by more than 6 million votes. And he, indisputably, won in the Electoral College.

Trump just likes being President too much, and doesn't want to cede power. But he has to!

He can go and paint Maralago white, and call it the White House, and declare himself the real President, issuing executive orders that mean nothing except to his die hard cult members.