I don't know 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 10:27 am

AprilR wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've always been drawn to female friends born in May, and men born in September or November.

You were a cancer if i remember correctly and that means you get along well with Taurus, Virgo and Libras! (signs that are born in the months you mentioned!)

My birthday is 21 June. I'm on the cusp of Gemini and Cancer in the 12 month arrangement.

Thanks. That's really interesting, and it's true! ^ I love Sag as well, though.

Ha --- just realised my new beau is a Libra. :)

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 14 Jan 2020, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 10:29 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've always been drawn to female friends born in May, and men born in September or November.

You were a cancer if i remember correctly and that means you get along well with Taurus, Virgo and Libras! (signs that are born in the months you mentioned!)

My birthday is 21 June. I'm on the cusp of Gemini and Cancer in the 12 month arrangement.

Thanks. That's really interesting, and it's true! ^ I love Sag as well, though.

Oh right, since you're on the Gemini-Cancer cusp it also makes sense that you get on well with sags! (since sag is the opposite sign of gemini, they complement each other)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 10:39 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
My birthday is 21 June. I'm on the cusp of Gemini and Cancer in the 12 month arrangement...
That's also the cusp of Taurus and Gemini in the original 13-month arrangement.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:09 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
AprilR wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
My birthday is 21 June. I'm on the cusp of Gemini and Cancer in the 12 month arrangement...
That's also the cusp of Taurus and Gemini in the original 13-month arrangement.

I've never been one to follow the star signs, but I do notice objective patterns in the birthdates of those around me.

The 13 month cycle does seem more logical so if I ever study Astrology, I'll look into it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like people like astrology for similar reasons---as people like religion.

They are looking to make sense of the "unknown." To make the random predictable in some way.

People are afraid of chaos, of vagueness, of unpredictability.

That’s pretty much what I think.

It’s all very illogical and often scammy. I know someone who was an online psychic who would also do readings for people in person sometimes.

She was usually wrong, but on the rare occasions when she would get something right, that’s what people would remember. Confirmation bias.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:29 am

Fnord wrote:
I used to make a modest living performing the Tarot scam -- and the key word here is perform. It's all a scam designed to separate seekers from their money.

And there is a seeker born every minute.

That sounds like an interesting gig.

What sorts of things did you tell people?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:36 am

The OP asked if people are stupid for "believing", not whether they're stupid for "purchasing" readings from others. Those are two different issues.

If people believe in Astrology and do their own personal readings or interpretations for themselves, that's their choice.

Scamming people is wrong. Paying others for an astrological reading comes with the caveat "buyer beware", so I hope people realise it is for entertainment purposes only.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:43 am

I don’t think that believers are necessarily stupid, but I think they are very likely illogical. Sometimes people base big life decisions on what a horoscope says.

Scams regarding astrology is a huge moneymaking business. Lots of people are profiting off of the credulity of others.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 14 Jan 2020, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:48 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I used to make a modest living performing the Tarot scam -- and the key word here is perform. It's all a scam designed to separate seekers from their money. And there is a seeker born every minute.
That sounds like an interesting gig. What sorts of things did you tell people?
Whatever they wanted to hear.

A woman wanting to know if her man was cheating on her -- and with whom -- would be told something like "That way is cast in ever-changing shadows. Many paths diverge from this one, as well. Make sure the path you take with your man is clear and free from the creatures that thrive in shadow and darkness. Carry your own light and hold it high so that all may see and know."

Pretty good, huh? Basically I told her while there were lots of possible threats to her relationship, nothing had been consummated yet, and that she should keep her eyes open and work to make herself more attractive to her man than any other woman around him.

People mainly come to psychics for reassurance -- paying $25 for 30 a 30-minute Tarot reading (and some tea and cookies) sure beats paying $300 for a 45-minute session with a psychologist, when all you really want to hear is "Everything's gonna be alright".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I used to make a modest living performing the Tarot scam -- and the key word here is perform. It's all a scam designed to separate seekers from their money. And there is a seeker born every minute.
That sounds like an interesting gig. What sorts of things did you tell people?
Whatever they wanted to hear.

A woman wanting to know if her man was cheating on her -- and with whom -- would be told something like "That way is cast in ever-changing shadows. Many paths diverge from this one, as well. Make sure the path you take with your man is clear and free from the creatures that thrive in shadow and darkness. Carry your own light and hold it high so that all may see and know."

Pretty good, huh? Basically I told her while there were lots of possible threats to her relationship, nothing had been consummated yet, and that she should keep her eyes open and work to make herself more attractive to her man than any other woman around him.

People mainly come to psychics for reassurance -- paying $25 for 30 a 30-minute Tarot reading (and some tea and cookies) sure beats paying $300 for a 45-minute session with a psychologist, when all you really want to hear is "Everything's gonna be alright".

That’s pretty good!

I bet the answer to “does he love me?” was always “yes!”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:16 pm

I just looked at a horoscope.

As a Gemini, I’m supposed to be the life of the party, apparently.

That’s the opposite of me. Some things fit. I suppose they think that if they include enough abstract descriptors something is bound to fit.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:34 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
... I bet the answer to “does he love me?” was always “yes!”
"He loves you. However..."

That "however" part always depended on the apparent age, gender, and profession of the client.

"... he is concerned for an apparent rival for your affections." (New baby? Sick relative? Promotion or transfer?)

"... he is concerned for his health." (A middle-aged woman likely has a middle-aged SO with the beginnings of obesity, heart problems, diabetes, et cetera)

"... he is concerned for your finances." (Always useful, no matter what age.)

"... he is concerned for his education." (Obvious if the woman is dressed like an office professional; also useful if she is dressed like a working-class woman.)

Any of the above could be true, in whole or in part. One of the tricks is to not always impart a "Sunshine and Roses" impression, but inject just a little drama. But always finish on a positive note.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
... I bet the answer to “does he love me?” was always “yes!”
"He loves you. However..."

That "however" part always depended on the apparent age, gender, and profession of the client.

"... he is concerned for an apparent rival for your affections." (New baby? Sick relative? Promotion or transfer?)

"... he is concerned for his health." (A middle-aged woman likely has a middle-aged SO with the beginnings of obesity, heart problems, diabetes, et cetera)

"... he is concerned for your finances." (Always useful, no matter what age.)

"... he is concerned for his education." (Obvious if the woman is dressed like an office professional; also useful if she is dressed like a working-class woman.)

Any of the above could be true, in whole or in part. One of the tricks is to not always impart a "Sunshine and Roses" impression, but inject just a little drama. But always finish on a positive note.

Great!

Which of those choices will I go with for my particular situation? Hmmm...

Perhaps the “rival” scenario since that’s more flattering.