Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 6:38 pm

There's my baby: http://oldcomputer.info/portables/compaq1120/index.htm

I had an external CD-ROM drive with the soundcard built into that. My laptop just had the PC speaker otherwise. I remember on my mum's old Packard Bell computer with MS-DOS 5.0, we had a programme called Kidworks, and it had a text to talking activity on it. If you listened carefully, you could just about hear the speech from the beep box.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 6:50 pm

QFT wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
They still say "it's no excuse" and "you don't have it".

Not to me.

I guess the people to whom they say "you don't have it" today are the ones who wouldn't have been diagnosed on the first place in the 90s. And the ones that heard "you don't have it" in the 90s are the ones who are too severe to hear "you don't have it" today.

I was told it a few months ago when I was being evaluated to renew benefits for my physical disabilities. I put Autism on my application for physical disabilities because I figured having another disability on my application can't hurt. I was unaware of being autistic or really what it was or most of the 90s.

Weirdly enough in the late 90s or maybe the early 2000s I was told I was a "little bit autistic" by my boss of all people. I figured he was trying to bully me.

I disclose my diagnoses to people who need to know. Enough people do not know to make know how much I would be disbelieved.

Forgetting about me I often read on this site people, even diagnosed people being told they are not autistic. I think it comes from lack of knowledge of older people and people from non western countries. My evaluator was Asian.

As far as not using it as an excuse this goes way beyond autism. Unless you have a severe physical disability failure to accomplish things is often chalked up to not trying hard enough and lazy excuse making in America
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I had "tech" back then

QFT wrote:
Not to the extend we have it today. A little bit of a good thing is good, too much of a good thing is too much.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I don't miss 10 minutes for a picture to load on the net or after getting a part of the picture and then the picture freezing

It wouldn't have mattered if you weren't addicted to the picture things in some ways. Back in the 80-s there was no such thing as downloading pictures to begin with, and everyone were doing just fine. So why did it suddenly become a problem in the 90-s?

I guess I was lucky enough that in the 90-s I didn't have a concept of downloading pictures, thats why I didn't care. The only way I got upset about the picture thing was in the 2000-s when I was on dating sites and the girls rejected me for not having a picture which I didn't have simply because I haven't learned how to do it. I was really pissed at them for being so judgemental precisely because I couldn't get what was it about the picure that mattered that much anyway.

And this is yet another way in which 90s are better. Back in the 90s they wouldn't have judged me for not having a picture since nobody else had one either.

With music, same thing. I simply didn't listen to high tech music, period. I only got headphones once -- it was 2014 and I got them as a price for winning the running competition. I tried to use them, couldn't exactly figure out how. Eventually they broke, which was totally fine with me. I did use a different kinds of headphones when I tried to listen the music on the internet in the library and they happened to have them. But once again I only did it few times in my life. I listen to the music on youtube though -- and I do it without the head phones -- but I don't think its healthy: its part of my internet addiction. I wish internet (together with youtube and email and all the rest of it) were to be shut down one day. Then my life would return to the healthy one.

If anything tech or not stops working in the middle or takes forever I get frustrated. My mom always said "patience is a virtue" ASPartOfMe "doesn't have". Now that I am older I am better or more accurately more used to it, I know s**t happens etc., but I still have my moments especially with cloudfare.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2020, 7:03 pm

Away from computing

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:52 am

the 90s was exemplified in "beavis and butthead do america." i learned digital audio restoration in the 90s when the first restoration algorithms became available for the consumer.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:06 pm

I don't miss the 90's at all.

Yes, I'll take the odd trip down to nostalgia lane, but to go back to a time where I wore my heart on my sleeve, and found absolutely everything confusing and distressing? No thanks.

Amongst all of this, I have a happy childhood I'll never forget that I am very grateful and blessed to have.

Things were only simpler, because I was younger, but even then, I was capable of asking questions no 5 year old should've asked. I've always felt the weight of the world on my shoulders from my compelling need to explore it. If modern technology was around, I would've been a lot worse, keeping myself up at night reading the news online etc.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

Only thing I miss from the 90s are new XF episodes.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:28 pm

And So It Goes wrote:
I don't miss the 90's at all.

Yes, I'll take the odd trip down to nostalgia lane, but to go back to a time where I wore my heart on my sleeve, and found absolutely everything confusing and distressing? No thanks.

Amongst all of this, I have a happy childhood I'll never forget that I am very grateful and blessed to have.

Things were only simpler, because I was younger, but even then, I was capable of asking questions no 5 year old should've asked. I've always felt the weight of the world on my shoulders from my compelling need to explore it. If modern technology was around, I would've been a lot worse, keeping myself up at night reading the news online etc.

The 90s was when I *didn't* wear my heart on my sleeve. Unlike most people I was all about school as a teenager and I was all about wearing my heart on a sleeve as an adult. Probably that's why I miss my teen years so much.

So what was it you were thinking about when you were 5 that you were referring to?

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:33 pm

QFT wrote:
So what was it you were thinking about when you were 5 that you were referring to?

"Mummy, what if you die? Who will look after me? How will I get on?"

"How will I do things if I am on my own in the house?"

"What will happen to me when I am older?"

"What will the future be like?"

"Will the world end?"

Questions along these lines.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:13 pm

the 90s were nowhere near as corrupt as the 10s and [i'm afraid to say] the 20s will amount to be.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm

I was born in 1993 so yes I too miss the 90s. I miss my grandparents who used to spoil me when I was little. I miss all of the cartoons and shows that were out. I miss all of the toys. I practically miss everything about the 90s. If a time machine is ever invented in my lifetime, I would go back to the 90s and never come back.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 12:23 am

^^^mee too!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 6:33 am