Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:17 am

In 2016 admittedly I supported Hillary Clinton. Since then my views have changed quite massively and in the light of new information. Now she is claiming Bernie Sanders never got anything done and that nobody likes him. But my friends actions speak louder than words.

Below is a video of Bernie Sanders joining with a hardcore Republican Senator, Mike Lee to oppose further US military involvement in supporting the Saudi genocide in Yemen and working to pass a resolution for that effect. Ultimately this resolution passed a Republican senate and had to be vetoed by Trump. Let this fly in the face of anyone claiming Bernie Sanders cannot work across the "aisle."

Truth be told whilst I understand why someone can like Clinton. She made mistakes by supporting Saudi weapons deals and it was left to Sanders to help clean this up. And Sanders worked to do so by working cooperatively with people he strongly disagreed with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E5YQV3bBiw&t=2s

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:23 am

Shahunshah wrote:
In 2016 admittedly I supported Hillary Clinton. Since then my views have changed quite massively and in the light of new information. Now she is claiming Bernie Sanders never got anything done and that nobody likes him. But my friends actions speak louder than words.

Below is a video of Bernie Sanders joining with a hardcore Republican Senator, Mike Lee to oppose further US military involvement in supporting the Saudi genocide in Yemen and working to pass a resolution for that effect. Ultimately this resolution passed a Republican senate and had to be vetoed by Trump. Let this fly in the face of anyone claiming Bernie Sanders cannot work across the "aisle." ...
"Getting Something Done" is not the same as "Working Across the Aisle" -- the former achieves a goal, while the latter is a publicity stunt.

Never confuse action or intent with results.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:28 am

Fnord wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Below is a video of Bernie Sanders joining with a hardcore Republican Senator, Mike Lee to oppose further US military involvement in supporting the Saudi genocide in Yemen and working to pass a resolution for that effect. Ultimately this resolution passed a Republican senate and had to be vetoed by Trump. Let this fly in the face of anyone claiming Bernie Sanders cannot work across the "aisle." ...
"Getting Something Done" is not the same as "Working Across the Aisle" -- the former achieves a goal, while the latter is a publicity stunt.

Never confuse action or intent with results.

I would not call it a publicity stunt. This was the first time the US Senate had condemned Saudi involvement in Yemen and pledged to work towards ending their support for this horrific regime. Ultimately Trump vetoed it, but what the legislation saw was Republicans and democrats being brought across the aisle to oppose this horrific war.

Bernie did not get it through because Trump vetoed it, he is part of the opposition but he still worked pass the GOP congress. It would likely therefore be a different story once he is president.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:36 am

"Trump vetoed it" is a foregone conclusion with anything that would offend his wealthy Muslim friends.

Bernie would have done better to to either convince Trump that the resolution was worthy of his signature, or work harder to remove Trump from office.

Besides, a resolution does not carry the full weight of the law -- a resolution is better used to declare "National Dog Day" or other such pointless observances.

It is no smear to say that Bernie Sanders' resolution accomplishes nothing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:50 am

Hillary refuses to accept her part in electing arguably the most unpopular presidential candidate ever and the clusterf**k the nation and the world has had to endure since. To her every other “deplorable” is at fault accept the one she sees in the mirror all the time.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 11:56 am

:lol:

You used 'Hillary' and 'Clusterf***' in the same sentence.

:thumright:

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 12:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Trump vetoed it" is a foregone conclusion with anything that would offend his wealthy Muslim friends.

Bernie would have done better to to either convince Trump that the resolution was worthy of his signature, or work harder to remove Trump from office.

Besides, a resolution does not carry the full weight of the law -- a resolution is better used to declare "National Dog Day" or other such pointless observances.

It is no smear to say that Bernie Sanders' resolution accomplishes nothing.

For one Bernie Sanders is working NOW to remove Trump from office. Its part of the definition for campaigning for president and he attacks him every day. As for Trump he was never going to change his mind because he is firmly in the hands of special interests that pay him handsomely for using his real estate.

Bernie didn't in this circumstance change policy but saying he did nothing would be a mistake. His resolution resulted in the first time the congress had condemned this genocidal war and the vote made press attention and helped shed light on a much maligned issue. This is different from saying it was a stunt however.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 12:11 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
... Bernie didn't in this circumstance change policy but saying he did nothing would be a mistake. His resolution resulted in the first time the congress had condemned this genocidal war and the vote made press attention and helped shed light on a much maligned issue. This is different from saying it was a stunt however.
It was a stunt because it only resulted in "condemnation", "press attention", and the "shedding of light". It did NOT cause the U.S. to pull out of any war or even reduce its involvement over there. Thus, the resoultion accomplished nothing of value.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 12:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
... Bernie didn't in this circumstance change policy but saying he did nothing would be a mistake. His resolution resulted in the first time the congress had condemned this genocidal war and the vote made press attention and helped shed light on a much maligned issue. This is different from saying it was a stunt however.
It was a stunt because it only resulted in "condemnation", "press attention", and the "shedding of light". It did NOT cause the U.S. to pull out of any war or even reduce its involvement over there. Thus, the resoultion accomplished nothing of value.

No the US did reduce its involvement shortly afterwards. And refused to refuel Saudi bombers. There is a clear trend of the US doing this around this time. Again I don't believe this happened as a result of the senate vote but it is misguided to say this led to nothing happening.

Shedding light and generating condemnation is also something of value for the value it does in exposing the administration's practices. And exposing allows for a greater push to end such horrors.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 12:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Hillary refuses to accept her part in electing arguably the most unpopular presidential candidate ever and the clusterf**k the nation and the world has had to endure since. To her every other “deplorable” is at fault accept the one she sees in the mirror all the time.

I couldn't have said it better, myself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 9:00 am

Gabbard, Yang, other Democrats slam Clinton remarks on Sanders as petulant, divisive

Quote:
Democrats including 2020 presidential hopefuls Tulsi Gabbard and Andrew Yang were firing back at Hillary Clinton on Tuesday night, hours after her remarks about Bernie Sanders in an upcoming documentary were published by The Hollywood Reporter.

Although Clinton appeared to walk back the remarks Tuesday night, her claims about Sanders – a leading contender for the party’s 2020 presidential nomination who battled Clinton for the 2016 nod – that “nobody likes him” and that “nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done,” were characterized by critics as petulant and potentally divisive for her party.

For his part, Sanders brushed off the remarks.

“On a good day, my wife likes me,” he joked.

Gabbard, a congresswoman from Hawaii, also dismissed Clinton’s comments while campaigning in New Hampshire.

“It’s time to grow up, you know? This isn’t high school,” she told WMUR-TV in Manchester.

“We’re talking about real challenges that our country needs to address and the need for real leadership to focus on them -- not on what’s going on in Washington and the schoolyard cliques or whatever else it may be.

Businessman Yang, another presidential contender, viewed Clinton’s comments as counterproductive for a party hoping to oust President Trump in November.

“For her to come back and, you know, say that nobody likes Bernie does not seem like a very helpful message,” Yang told CBS News.

Peter Daou, a past adviser to Democrats such as Clinton and John Kerry, tweeted that the former first lady’s comments were “profoundly wrong.”

By Tuesday evening it appeared Clinton got the message that her comments had struck a nerve with many in her own party – though she tried to downplay the negative reaction with a joke.

I thought everyone wanted my authentic, unvarnished views!,” Clinton wrote.

“But to be serious, the number one priority for our country and world is retiring Trump, and, as I always have, I will do whatever I can to support our nominee.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 9:11 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
No the US did reduce its involvement shortly afterwards. And refused to refuel Saudi bombers. There is a clear trend of the US doing this around this time. Again I don't believe this happened as a result of the senate vote but it is misguided to say this led to nothing happening. Shedding light and generating condemnation is also something of value for the value it does in exposing the administration's practices. And exposing allows for a greater push to end such horrors.
US to deploy 3,500 additional troops to the Middle East after Iranian general killed
Published Fri, Jan 3 2020 at 12:25 PM EST / Updated Fri, Jan 3 20201:41 PM EST

Link to MSNBC News Article

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 9:13 am

I would much rather vote for a Bloomberg/Steyer ticket, than any ticket featuring Biden, Pence, Sanders, or Trump.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:06 am

I feel like Bloomberg is a viable candidate. If he were the Democratic candidate, there is no question that I would vote for him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like Bloomberg is a viable candidate. If he were the Democratic candidate, there is no question that I would vote for him.
Wikipedia is your friend...
Quote:
Campaign: 2020 United States presidential election (Democratic primaries)

Candidate: Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City (2002–2013)

Affiliation: Democratic Party

Announced: November 24, 2019[1]

Headquarters: 229 West 43rd Street (8th floor in the old New York Times Building on New York City's Times Square)

Key people:
• Kevin Sheekey – campaign manager
• Kelly Mehlenbacher – deputy COO[3]

Advisors:
• Howard Wolfson
• Jason Schecter

Slogans:
• "Rebuild America"
• "Fighting for our future"
• "A new choice for Democrats"

http://www.mikebloomberg.com